More threads by Marie Haynes

Marie Haynes

LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
When Pigeon first rolled out I saw no change at all in local SERPS here in Canada. However, I've just had a former client call me to tell me that she has dropped out of the pack completely for almost all of her terms. The site had previously held #1 or #2 rankings for most terms.

I have to say that I don't know much about Pigeon. I'm about to do some more reading.....but my main question was whether anyone else in Canada is seeing obvious changes over the last week that could be a sign of Pigeon rolling out here.

Hi Marie,

Here are tons of Pigeon insights and rank trackings over time.

I don't think it's hit Canada yet and we have lots of Canadian SEOs tuned in and watching.

HOWEVER, I've worked on/seen a couple of Canadian businesses that say they dropped out of the pack. Since they are in Canada, they are of course searching with .ca and their prospects likely do.

But when we check the ranking with G.com they rank on top where they used to.

Interesting that with Pigeon in US it's similar, but backwards. In US you'll see the Pigeon results, but if you search for Seattle Chiropractor on G.ca then you'll still see the OLD algo ranking order.

So I'm not sure what any of that means but thought I'd share. Check their ranking from G.com and see if they are maybe still ranking.

Thanks Linda!

The listing does not rank on G.com either.

I'm going to look deeper into the issue shortly. They did a site redesign in June, although the ranking change apparently just happened this week.

I have a question. I know how important it is to have a consistent NAP, but would these be considered the same:

On the website:
(123) 456-7890 or (123) 789-2341
Toll free - 1-800-letters
123 example avenue, city

In their Google+ listing:
123 example ave city, ON A1B 2C3
(123) 456-7890

I thought that might be the issue, but the old site didn't even have the address on it.

Do we know for sure pigeon is only local packs?

Reason I ask is I'm seeing some interesting organic shifts in AU - wondering if they're pigeon or panda round 4, delayed.

I've been hearing about other shakeups in AU & UK too Margaret. Just a little buzz here and there, so seems there may be something going on, but I don't know if it's Pigeon.

Just saw this article about Pigeon hitting Canada.

About a month ago now, Google rolled out a brand new update to it?s web results search algo, and it was quickly noted and named by the SEO community as the ?Pigeon? update. And while it did make changes to the overall rankings for web search result serps, it didn?t happen up here in the google.ca world till just this past week ? at least our whole Canuck client roster was unaffected till then.
So, what?s this Pigeon update and what do you need to know about same?

Thanks Luis,

I've been madly working on the Local Search Ranking Factors so had not checked my RSS yet.

Hmmm, Colan, Joy, Darren any other Canucks that can confirm the Pigeon has landed in .ca?

I haven't personally seen anything to indicate that it has hit Canada just yet. Keeping my eye on it and I know Joy is too.

Tagging myself to this post.

Client ranking well in .com, ranking well organically in .ca but not in the pack.

Thanks for all of the info and info to come. :)

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom