More threads by nicoco

nicoco

Reaction score
I have a potential client (let's call him John)

John is currently the owner of a brick-and-mortar franchise, but he plans to close it down in a couple of months and reopen the same location as an independent business, under a new company name and entity.

However, the existing franchise company currently owns the Google Business Profile and website, more specifically the location page that the GBP directs to. It's unlikely that they will allow John to take ownership of the GBP and perform a 301 redirect from the location page to his new website.

Here is the first question:

Given this situation, I was wondering if there's any way John can benefit from the existing assets.

If not would the following course of action be the best approach:
  • Mark the existing Franchise GBP as permanently closed
  • Claiming a new GBP for the new business.
  • Create a new website
  • Claim citations.
  • and then do the usual SEO work

My biggest concern is that the existing Google Business Profile (GBP) and location page have some serious authority. So when people search for keywords related to the business, they'll probably stumble upon the old listing saying it's permanently closed.

Any help or tips you can drop on how to deal with this situation would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Solution
Great question, John. Getting ownership of the existing GBP would be ideal assuming the category/industry is the same.

If that's not possible, and the other company won't budge, your only option is to mark it as closed as you suggested.
Great question, John. Getting ownership of the existing GBP would be ideal assuming the category/industry is the same.

If that's not possible, and the other company won't budge, your only option is to mark it as closed as you suggested.

Solution

That's what I thought. Many thanks Colan. Will there be a risk of the old profile showing up instead of the new one?

I have a potential client (let's call him John) John is currently the owner of a brick-and-mortar franchise, but he plans to close it down in a couple of months and reopen the same location as an independent business, under a new company name and entity. However, the existing franchise company currently owns the Google Business Profile and website, more specifically the location page that the GBP directs to. It's unlikely that they will allow John to take ownership of the GBP and perform a 301 redirect from the location page to his new website. Here is the first question: Given this situation, I was wondering if there's any way John can benefit from the existing assets. If not would the following course of action be the best approach:
  • Mark the existing Franchise GBP as permanently closed
  • Claiming a new GBP for the new business.
  • Create a new website
  • Claim citations.
  • and then do the usual SEO work
My biggest concern is that the existing Google Business Profile (GBP) and location page have some serious authority. So when people search for keywords related to the business, they'll probably stumble upon the old listing saying it's permanently closed. Any help or tips you can drop on how to deal with this situation would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks

In the eyes of Google, the brand owns the GBP and not the franchise owner. You won't be allowed to take over ownership of the business profile. The brand will need to mark it as permanently closed, and you and John will have to start all over from scratch.

In the eyes of Google, the brand owns the GBP and not the franchise owner. You won't be allowed to take over ownership of the business profile. The brand will need to mark it as permanently closed, and you and John will have to start all over from scratch.

Many thanks Jason

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom