mschaler

Reaction score
I have seen a few posts on this but not specifically what I have a question about... I have a client with a URL that he has tons of URLs set to forward to this one URL. From what I have read, this isn't the best idea. So what course of action should I recommend? What should he do with all of the URLs if they are not forwarded? I believe he bought all of these "extra" URLs thinking it would help for SEO and also to prevent competitors from getting "good" URLs that might be useful for the competitors. He is telling me he thinks his site traffic is down because of all the forwarding.
Thanks, Mike

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hi Mike and welcome!

This is not my area of expertise, so I'll leave it to our wise members to answer.

Sundays are usually quiet here so if not today, hopefully tomorrow some folks will weigh in with recommendations.

Rich Owings

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
I believe he bought all of these "extra" URLs thinking it would help for SEO and also to prevent competitors from getting "good" URLs that might be useful for the competitors.

It's valid to do this to keep the domains out of the hands of competitors. But as far as redirecting for SEO goes, there is probably no benefit, and there is a potential downside.

First of all, they won't help unless someone is typing in those domains, or they were used previously and have links or bookmarks pointing to them.

But you need to be very careful. Some domains that were previously used by someone else could have toxic links pointing to them -- forum spam, links from bad neighborhoods, etc. That could hurt you if you are 301 redirecting them to your primary domain. One place to check the history of a domain is archive.org. It's a good idea to do this when you're purchasing any domain.

johncrenshaw

Reaction score
Rich is right on. There are no other issues that I can think of. Just make sure they are using 301s and not domain masking as is often the case.

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I take it you mean many domain names redirecting?

If so, I would just take them off.

If he bought them purely to keep out of competitor hands and immediately 301'd them then they probably don't have any history on them and don't have any backlinks. Therefore, they're not helping I wouldn't imagine.

Worst case scenario, you take them off and he drops. You put them back on, he goes up.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Tony Wang Forwarding old domain with some spammy links Local Search 10
Michael S. Doran Does a forwarded domain hurt local SEO ranking? Local Search 6
rich_marlatt Do the number of backlinks from a domain have any impact on local SEO? Local Search 2
A Pointing SEO friendly domain to old domain and its effect on GMB ranking? Local Search 4
djbaxter Google: Moz Spam Score, Domain Authority Does Not Impact Google Rankings Organic SEO 1
Dana Franks Rankings crash after new site - is it the domain? Organic SEO 3
hajnasiewicz Issues with multiple domain redirects to one domain? Websites, Software, and Security 4
djbaxter Google: We Still Use PageRank. We do not use Domain Authority. Organic SEO 0
H Two GMB Locations One Website = Two DNS Domains? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
U Spam / Scam .it domains and sub domains flooding Google results pages Spam on Google 6
Tim Colling Why register a domain name with your toll free number? Organic SEO 5
Conor Treacy Google showing only domain name in results (when not logged in) Local Search 2
H Biz with a product specific domain - should they have two sites? Local Search 2
djbaxter The Truth About Domain Authority Organic SEO 0
djbaxter Age of domain name or content irrelevant to Google ranking Organic SEO 4
Justin Mosebach GrubHub is buying web domains for the restaurants it lists Websites, Software, and Security 1
djbaxter Preferred Domain in Google Search Console deprecated Google News: Important Changes & Features 4
georgebizpro Google June Broad Core Update Case Study: Keyword-rich domains back on the rise? Google Algorithm Discussions 2
S How to get a DNS-verified Search Console domain to connect with Google Analytics? Organic SEO 3
georgebizpro Redirect https domain to another https website Organic SEO 11
Fairlane Problems/Delays Getting New Referring Domains/Backlinks Indexed Local Search 1
Dana Franks Parked domains generating thousands of links Spam on Google 3
Gsmithmike Sub Domain or Sub Category for Location pages? Local Search 1
N Not displaying anymore on Google Maps unless domain name (business name) Google My Business & Google Maps 3
P Really long business & domain name with articles in it, what should we do? Local Search 5
djbaxter Google: There is no SEO advantage to keyword domains Organic SEO 6
djbaxter EU to cancel UK owned .eu domains Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
F Multiple domains..The only logical way for multiple sab's? Service Area Businesses 5
F Multiple domains..The only logical way for multiple sab's? Service Area Businesses 5
djbaxter Google: Domain Authority is not a ranking signal Organic SEO 3
djbaxter Preparing for Brexit: UK webmasters will have to give up .eu domains Organic SEO 0
M Another Business Using Client's Domain On Twitter Mobile & Social 2
G Backlinks: Domain Authority, Page Authority, Spam, # Root Domains, Total Links? Local Search 14
B Changed domains and rankings dropped. Any ideas? Local Search 3
P Hyphen In Domain / Domain name advice ? Local Search 4
F Transferring domain equity from a subdomain to a primary domain Organic SEO 3
Durandl English and French under the same domain Local Search 4
TheHighlander New Client, Previous Provider Added Domain To GSC Remove URLs Local Search 6
djbaxter Chrome and Firefox Phishing Attack Uses Domains Identical to Known Safe Sites Forum Tech Support 7
J Got a brand domain but should I register a PMD to help rank ? Any advice please :-) Google My Business & Google Maps 4
O New Domain Google My Business & Google Maps 0
mborgelt Google Turning Their Attention to Buying Expired Domains Organic SEO 2
Nathan Schoell Different domains directing to one website Local Search 3
HangTenSEO Switching Domain names Consultant's Corner 3
Durandl What is the best domain name when it comes to local Local Search 1
bczubiak Came Across My First .care Domain For a Dentist Local Search 2
Tim Colling Photographer Files $1B Suit Against Getty for Licensing Her Public Domain Images Local Search 1
A GEO DOMAINS QUESTION: Trade + City Domain SERP Result Case Studies ??? Local Search 2
H Local business with many domains "Memphis-HVAC" or "memphis-AC" etc. Local Search 3
F Swapping Domains on Google My Business Listing - Risky? Local Search 0