More threads by Mike Pedersen

Reaction score
I have a client that has 2 google+local listings for his business. 2 different websites. Same address, different phone number. He doesn't remember either logins, so how can I optimize for his business listing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

One of you guys will need to use or create a different Google account (whose password you've both written down!), then go to his Google+Local page and click the "Manage this page" option on the right-hand side of the page, and then follow the steps for verification from there.

Having the two listings may be trouble if they're at the same address and aren't officially/legally two separate businesses (I don't know one way or the other whether that's the case here). Might get you into hot water with Google, such that IF they're not two legally separate businesses, you may have to nuke one of the listings. But I'd suggest claiming both of them first.

Hi Trent,

Welcome to the forum!

I usually bend over backwards to help consultants here at the forum but have been doing it so much my carpal is killing. Just totally slammed with problems right now.

I'm totally backed up getting projects done for consultants that have hired me to help them with complicated listing issues, so I need to go play catch up.

HOWEVER it's hard to give the best answers for questions as generically as you stated. The answer is almost always - it depends, because there are SOOO many variables we would just be shooting in the dark without seeing the listings and getting more details. 2 businesses at same address VERY occasionally can fly, but usually can create a variety of problems - TOTALLY depends and I can't even advise without looking. So if you are comfortable posting the links so we can look in more detail we can give you a better answer.

Note if you post links then I'll move this post down to the help forum because then it changes from general convo to help on a specific listing.

I'll try my best to circle back around and help later tonight if I can but no promises. Jammed beyond belief.

In the meantime, there's a good chance other members will weigh in to try to help you as well.

Ahhh, see I told you someone else would try to help. I posted on top of Phil and didn't see his post.

Thanks Phil!

One of you guys will need to use or create a different Google account (whose password you've both written down!), then go to his Google+Local page and click the "Manage this page" option on the right-hand side of the page, and then follow the steps for verification from there.

Having the two listings may be trouble if they're at the same address and aren't officially/legally two separate businesses (I don't know one way or the other whether that's the case here). Might get you into hot water with Google, such that IF they're not two legally separate businesses, you may have to nuke one of the listings. But I'd suggest claiming both of them first.
I wouldn't claim both if they're essentially the same business. Claim the best one and mark the other as a duplicate of the good one. Google is good at connecting dots so I would avoid a headache and just go with one if he is really running one business. I'd like to hear the difference between each listing/website.

Ya I agree. Was coming back to help but can't without knowing the business details.

But without info I can give you the general feedback that if it's an SMB especially home based it probably won't fly and def not if related industries. So for example John Smith House Painting and Smith and Sons construction won't fly. But even some bigger companies in commercial space won't fly, but then again they will under certain circumstances. Just totally depends.

He doesn't remember either logins, so how can I optimize for his business listing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re the logins. Yes, you can re-claim as Phil suggested. If that's your ONLY option.

However I STONGLY recomment pushing them. Even tell them if they won't go searching accounts to try to find the log-ins you'll charge extra due to all the probles it may cause.

(Sometimes clients are just busy or lazy and think it's no big deal. But if they find out it may cost them, you'll be amazed at how many will magicly find the log-in the next day.) :rolleyes:

Claiming in another account is a violation. PLUS can cause all kinds of problems. Data issues, ranking problems, image problems, review problems and even suspension.

PLUS you will never be in total control. The other account remains in partial control. So lets say they keyword stuffed cats or something. You can do the new listing perfectly and the other one can still cause a ranking penalty or suspension. Plus is NAP is slightly different in the other account, your data will keep changing back and forth. Hidden merged dupes can be a nightmare.

So PUSH 'em! :p

It's kind of strange. They gave me a gmail account they created, but when I login to it then go to their local listing it is asking me to "join google+" before I can do anything to their listing.

Does that sound correct?

Hi Mike,

Are you able to post links to the G+ Local pages? I just wanted to check something?

Mike are you and trentster the same person? I'm not sure what your post has to do with trentster's.

Mike are you and trentster the same person? I'm not sure what your post has to do with trentster's.

Ya I'm bamboozled too! Are you the same person?
If so you can only have one account here and one identity.

If you are a different person and this is a different problem, please start a new thread so you and trentser's problems and our advice don't all get mixed up.

Must be my twin brother ;)

I must have forgotten I registered in here a month ago. Turning 50 this year and my memory is going on me LOL!

Glad I found it (a second time)!

Thanks,
Mike

Mike glad we solved the mystery.

Don?t feel like the lone ranger, I'm older than you and my brain is mush!
(Especially trying to keep everything straight with all these problems and changes!)

NOt sure what you mean, but they paid me to optimize their G+ local page and it's been a week now. Feel like I better do something soon.

I have that Gmail account they showed me. Should I log into that and start doing work on it? Would that work?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Are you able to post links to the G+ Local pages? I just wanted to check something?

Hey Mike have you read the posts above? We've asked like 3 times 3 different ways if you can post links to the listings so we can check some things.

THEN we can advise what to next. Otherwise we are just kinda shooting in the dark...

Hey Mike have you read the posts above? We've asked like 3 different times if you can post links to the both of the client's listings so we can check some things. We could have helped you solve a few days ago if we'd had the info we needed to help.

It's kind of strange. They gave me a gmail account they created, but when I login to it then go to their local listing it is asking me to "join google+" before I can do anything to their listing.

Does that sound correct?

Ya that sounds odd which is why Colan also asked for links so we can take a closer look.

THEN we can advise what to do next. Otherwise we are just kinda shooting in the dark...

Kinda like saying "fix my car" but you won't open hood so we can see what's wrong. The mechanic can only say "Based on the noise you are describing, it could be this OR maybe it's that, but they can't say for sure without looking."

But the G+L issues are SUPER complicated by a variety of factors and sometimes issues are intertwined, so it's just hard to give a solid answer without looking under the hood.

BUT if you don't want to post the client links that's fine, I understand. But please just tell us so we don't keep asking thinking you didn't see our requests.

FYI ALL merged the Trenster account with the Mike account to solve his multiple-personality disorder. So any posts above that were confusingly from 2 different people are now all from Mike.

Confused and Frustrated

This whole Google+ Local, Maps, Business listings stuff is very aggravating to say the least.

So Linda found 3 listings for my client. One is a partner and location he bought and merged the two business. That location is no longer in existence.

Then the second listing was created by Yodle with a different phone number.

The third is the one we want.

The office gave me a gmail account. I went to that listing and hit the manage button. Did some updating (ie. images, hours, etc.), then hit submit. Google wanted me to verify it like it was a new listing. Huh?

We did via phone and their office and it was verified.

Now I go into the yodle one with the different phone number, but as I dig through the listing in the admin his correct phone number is showing up. I wanted to delete this listing, but when I saw the correct phone number I bailed and did not delete it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil,

I did that this afternoon, and even verified it using a gmail account they did have. It did not look like he had a G+ account linked it, but I logged into that gmail, then went to the G+ Listing we want to keep, and clicked the manage button.

I proceed to update it with new images, hours, etc. Then it asked to verify it, which we did via phone and their office.

But what to do with the other one with the different phone number? They have no idea who created it.

This is such a mess!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom