Dennis Cline

Reaction score
Via citation cleanup and build-out, I've got a dental client ranking in the 3-pack for some important keywords locally. Their website is one of those cookie-cutter, flat monthly rate sites with boiler plate content, but has decent (if awkward) local SEO metrics, mobile friendliness, and adequate page load speeds. But boring as hell with a dismal bounce rate.

I'd like to create a new funnel-based website for them. Fewer pages, initially, but with much greater user relevancy and marketability. One thing I'm concerned about is their legal name is just the founder's name, e.g., "Joe J. Smith, DDS, Inc." That's how it's registered with the Big 3 aggregators and at all the citation sites.

Do I risk confusing Google, Infogroup et al. if I use something like "Joe J. Smith Family Dentistry" in the header and copy, even if I keep the legal name in the NAP footer, About page, and metadata? Dare I use the variant name in page titles and/or URLs?

Also, will the sheer reduction in pages adversely affect the 3-pack position? Organic page rank is marginal (not page 1), which is another reason I want to migrate to a new custom website, but I'd hate to sacrifice the gains we've made so far.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Reaction score
Anytime you're migrating a site, you're going to see some initial drops in ranking. It'd be worth the time to make manual 301 redirects for all the important pages on the old site (especially the ones that had any real number of backlinks) in addition to just the pages that were getting traffic. As far as whether or not the number of pages on a site is a ranking factor, that more pages does not necessarily mean better rankings. Or in other words, to my knowledge at least, the size of a site isn't directly a ranking factor if I'm not mistaken, though I'm not 100% sure on that, and I suspect that it'd be harder to rank a one page site than a 10 page site... I'd be interested if someone else had some knowledge to share around that.

Dentistry isn't an industry I've worked in before, and I know there's a good number of people here who specialize(d) there, so I'd trust their weigh in more than mine. That said, even with proper NAP elsewhere on the site, I'd be real hesitant to use anything other than the proper name in the title and H1 tags. I just saw a case a few days ago on the GMB forums where an overzealous company had a competitor's knowledge graph showing when you typed in their brand name. The reason was that on their website, they optimized the whole thing to their main keyword + city (which happened to be their competitor's business name) and it confused Google to the point where they were showing the actual wrong knowledge graph for a brand search... even in spite of the site having the correct business name, address, and phone number in the footer and such. Google DOES pay attention, and those title tags and h1 tags are a big deal. I don't know what it'd cost you in this case, but I'd almost err on the side of doing a name change if it's that important to the client to get a new name showing. After all, if you're worried their conversion is crap because of a bad name, that 'bad name' is still what's going to be showing in the 3-pack, yeah?

Dennis Cline

Reaction score
Thanks for your input, James. A few questions come to mind.

Good point on the redirects. But since the current site will likely be taken down by the current provider once the move is made, how can I accomplish this? Should I recreate all the pages of the current site with their respective 301s in the new site's sitemap? Any guidance or tutorials you can point me to on that?

The current site is about a year old and according to my research, backlinks are virtually non-existant ? no deep links at all. Since the citation links point to the home page, which will have the same exact URL, won't they all redirect as soon as the new site's server is propagated through the DNS?

Your remarks on using the registered business name echo my concerns. So if I keep it consistent on the titles, tags, and NAP references, maybe I could use the variant name in a header image file using the "official" name as the image alt tag? Any thoughts on this idea?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Effect of name variation on page rank NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
B Negative Effects Changing GMB Name? Moving or Name Changes 1
Mike Wilton How to Effectively Name a Biz Corporate Headquarters vs Branch Google My Business & Google Maps 2
L Does selecting a service area for hidden address business have negative effects? Moving or Name Changes 1
A Pointing SEO friendly domain to old domain and its effect on GMB ranking? Local Search 4
Ben Walsh Haro - are people still using it effectively in 2020? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
LocalSEODat Using UTM for GMB link to website. Does that mess w/ citation matching, rankings or anything negative effect? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
V Local Services Ad: Does using a different phone number in local services ad effect the organic ranking for my site Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
Jen Currier Post Card Verification for Businesses effected by Covid-19 Help & Support for Google Local 1
J Fake Google Reviews How To Report The Most Effective Way? Spam on Google 1
djbaxter California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) takes effect on January 1, 2020 Websites, Software, and Security 2
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Custom Map Creation and Their Effects on Ranking Google Local 101 3
A Suspension Having Ranking Effects? Help & Support for Google Local 6
S Schema: part 1. Is schema code effective when inserted into the body of a page, not into a header Multi-Location Issues 2
liorenda Possible Effect of the Medic Update Local Search 1
P Broadband provider blocks wordpress site: Effect on SEO / local search? Local Search 2
juliaannCA How will voice search effect local search Recycle Bin 4
JoshuaMackens How will voice search effect local search Local Search 12
Garrett Sussman The Effectiveness of Email Marketing Versus SMS Marketing Local Reviews 7
djbaxter What Type of Content Is Most Effective for Attracting Website Traffic? Organic SEO 0
Garrett Sussman 3 Insights For Crafting An Effective Review Request Email Drip Campaign Local Reviews 3
gulliver Google Memory Effect? Local Search 0
djbaxter Outgoing Links Have Positive Effects on SEO Organic SEO 0
C Effect of Hiding Address Local Search 13
Conor Treacy Question on 3 Pack and the effects on Home Services businesses. Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
Dustybones Effectively Building Content For Readers Not Algorithms Local Search 2
L Does your presence in Google local pack have an effect on your organic ranking? Local Search 6
mborgelt What is the tipping point for spammy backlinks negatively effecting local rankings? Local Search 8
Ben Walsh Dupe Onsite Service structure for maximum effect in local Recycle Bin 0
Pinkape404 Smart Spending for Effective Results Local Search 7
L Do +1's for Google My Business page have an effect Google My Business & Google Maps 3
F Free Review Request Email Form - Personal & Effective Local SEO Tools & Software 4
Chris Ratchford Looking for an effective REVIEW MANAGEMENT service Local Reviews 24
J Will Phone # On Adwords Effect Rank On Google+ Local? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J Penguin effect on Local? A quick story. Local Search 16
David Fesler Effect of 3rd Party Reviews on Google Local Rankings Local Reviews 17
B Can change URL in Places page effect ranking? Help & Support for Google Local 3
Local Search News Curator Will Citations Stop Being Effective for Local Optimization in the Future? Citations 0
Matt Chauhan Knowledge Panel Not Appearing for Brand Name Search Google My Business & Google Maps 1
K GMB Adding Old Business Name & Putting True Name in Parathesis Only In English Browser Google My Business & Google Maps 1
J Wrong GMB Listing Appearing when Searching for Physician by Name Google My Business & Google Maps 4
micromano Will changing a business name in GMB cause reviews to be lost? Moving or Name Changes 3
Ryan Steinolfson How do you get the business name to show up next to the map pin? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
G Registering a DBA name as a Search Term Spam on Google 5
Geeman What to do about a GMB that continuously adds the location to their name? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
S Clients Business name now has an "A" in front of all it's YEXT site listings Citations 1
liorenda Icons in GMB name Google My Business & Google Maps 5
NevenaIvanova Bus Stop Names Update NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
D Is adding emojis to business name gets penalty from GMB? Local Search 1
SpectateSwamp Long Business Name & Citations Recycle Bin 0