Tony Wang

Reaction score
A client recently got 3 positive reviews that raised my antennae (they have a small client base, so getting 3 in close order is suspicious). Client definitely did not pay anyone for this and they aren't real customers.

They all sounded somewhat similar, but definitely not just a cut and paste. I checked all three profiles; for each one, the profile had only a few reviews, left on the same day, but different for each profile; all reviews were in the same town as client's business.

My first suspicion was that someone was building up those profiles to use in selling fake reviews in town. But the fact that my client was the only overlapping business out of all the reviews seemed super strange. Like maybe it was an elaborate scheme to somehow discredit client by accusing them of buying fake reviews. Haha, that's probably a bit paranoid.

Ok, I just took a few minutes and dug a little deeper and looked at some of the other businesses that those reviewers reviewed. I did see some patterns, but don't have time to pursue it. This reminds me of the elaborate fake review network that Mike Blumenthal (I think?) outed a while back.

I can't think of any repercussions against client other than having those reviews deleted if reported.

Other thoughts anyone?

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Possible explanations (I can think of), from most likely to least likely:

1. Your client sent out a blast of review requests. But the request didn't compel anyone to write a great review - just A review, perhaps under a pen name.

2. The client is working with a shifty ORM company, without your say-so.

3. The reviews may have been meant for another company, especially if there's one in the area with a name similar to your client's name.

4. If your client has a very high average rating (like 4.8 - 5.0) then even a few "positive" 4-star reviews would drag down his or her average a bit. It's possible those 3 reviews are the first of many.

5. Old filtered reviews got un-filtered.

Based on what you say, I can't think of any repercussions other than (1) the reviews get removed and (2) maybe the "optics" are bad for your client in the meantime.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Local Services Ads - Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 4
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
swmaher Competitor Buying Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
J Reporting 3 fake reviews...please help Local Reviews 2
Chad Fake, Negative Reviews & Reputation Management - A Personal Experience Recycle Bin 0
MKubot Punishment or Review of Competitor Fake Reviews Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 6
M Fake Reviews/ Possible Lead Gen Company Spam on Google 5
zach.todd Finding listings with fake reviews Local Reviews 3
ChristianRdz Removing spam/fake reviews Google My Business & Google Maps 2
sixthcitysarah Is there anything you can do about competitors having fake reviews? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J Fake Google Reviews How To Report The Most Effective Way? Spam on Google 1
T Will GMB consider a review placed by a customer who was taken to court for a Judgement recovered by the business as Spam or Fake Comment? Local Reviews 1
JohnS Disgruntled x-employee leaving fake Facebook reviews Local Reviews 4
J Negative Google Reviews that have been hidden behind fake business Moving or Name Changes 10
F How Does a Business Deal with Fake Reviews? Recycle Bin 0
djbaxter Brightlocal: Fake Reviews Statistics Spam on Google 4
djbaxter Fake Product Review Sites: New Type of Spam Exploit in Google Spam on Google 0
djbaxter FTC Rules that Selling Followers and Likes or Posting Fake Reviews is Illegal Local Reviews 8
LocalSEODat How Does a Business Deal with Fake Reviews? Local Reviews 32
J Fake Yelp Review What Recourse? Local Reviews 5
j_holtslander Tool to scan reviews for fakes? Local Reviews 2
Ewan Kennedy Fake review summaries generated by schema markup Local Reviews 9
pbarnhart The power of fake reviews - a tale from r/offmychest Local Reviews 4
mikepetersonwi Fake Facebook Reviews Local Reviews 3
JoyHawkins 4-Star Fake Review Issue - Over 2.3 Million Fake Ratings on Google Local Reviews 32
djbaxter Google's new reCaptcha v3 may help with fake reviews Websites, Software, and Security 1
Tim Colling Is there any point in reporting fake review companies like this one? Local Search Experts Forum 7
SmallBizGeek Google refusing to remove two obviously fake negative reviews Local Reviews 17
Garrett Sussman An Interview with Jason Brown: Fake Reviews, Review Management, and the Review Site of the Future Local Reviews 6
JoyHawkins How Do You Deal With Competitors That Get Fake Reviews? Local Reviews 7
Garrett Sussman Why Fake Reviews Are Like Fake News and What You Can Do About It Local Reviews 2
Q Competitor Using Our Name & Buying Fake Reviews... Help & Support for Google Local 1
Ajay Prasad AI Trained to Write Convincing Fake Yelp Restaurant Reviews. Thoughts? Local Search 5
N Fake Reviews Best Practices Local Search 5
Linda Buquet Terrible Fake Trump Business Reviews could cost the #Trump Empire $100 Million. SAD! Local Reviews 2
R Flagging Fake Reviews Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Linda Buquet Jeweler Attacked by Hundreds of Fake 1 Star Reviews - Facebook Refuses to Act Local Reviews 2
Linda Buquet Huge Fake Review Lawsuit - Amazon Smacks Down 1000 Fiverr Users Local Reviews 4
Linda Buquet Yelp Cracks Down even Harder on Fake and Manipulative Reviews Local Reviews 0
Margaret Ornsby reporting fake review sites Local Reviews 2
Linda Buquet Named & Shamed on Yelp + How Google Maps are Made + Dealing with Fake Reviews Local Search 0
O How can I report FAKE REVIEWERS Help & Support for Google Local 6
HurricaneK8 Competitor trying to defame clinic with fake reviews :( Local Reviews 14
F Fake reviews on Google: How do we eliminate them? Local Reviews 2
G facing legal action for a fake bad review of a business I used to own. I didn't make Recycle Bin 0
Sharon Massive number of fake locations? Plus tons of review spam...where do I start? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
N Services that post real reviews to fake (alternative) profiles Local Reviews 3
Linda Buquet Outing a Fake Review Ring AND Review Puzzle for Local Pros Local Reviews 6
Linda Buquet Yelp Fake Review Sting OUTS SMBs, Warns Consumers Local Search 9