jrobbins

Reaction score
We have a customer that is reportedly very upset that there are several bad reviews on Yelp regarding her specifically that are not true. She said the reviews have been there for several months and that she uses this branch often and has never had an experience like is described in the review. Is there any recourse?

Cherie Dickey

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hey @jrobbins

Unfortunately, not really. Especially not with Yelp. Unless the reviews out and out violate their guidelines (profanity, harassment, etc), they normally pretty much refuse to remove them as a rule. There have even been law suits over this with Yelp. If the reviews are all by the same person, then you might be able to get support to remove all but one of them.

The best course of action when a review can't be removed is to respond to it professionally and without emotion. There is some great advice in this thread: Unfair threat to bad review - Local Search Forum

Cherie

MeganR

Reaction score
We have a customer that is reportedly very upset that there are several bad reviews on Yelp regarding her specifically that are not true. She said the reviews have been there for several months and that she uses this branch often and has never had an experience like is described in the review. Is there any recourse?
I'll tell you that I have had success getting multiple fake reviews pulled by citing Yelp's TOS. You need to review their TOS and identify the best option because once you submit it doesn't allow you to resubmit and point to a different TOS. It will ask you on your first submission what the violation is. For this one....I don't have the TOS in front of me, but is there anything truly defamatory, e.g., claiming fraud, etc?

Tony Wang

Reaction score
I agree with MeganR, carefully read the TOS. Removal is hard and unlikely, but not impossible.

Also do some digging around on the reviewer's profile. You never know what you'll find to help your case. The business owner may be able to shed some light on this, too. I once uncovered an angry customer leaving a bad review under a fake profile; actually, my client was able to figure that one out, knowing the details of the case, that's why I say the owner may have insights.

MeganR

Reaction score
Sorry, for delay in response. I actually got another review pulled down last week, citing TOS.

What I mean by that is go to:

Carefully, research what might qualify as reason for violation of TOS.

Remember, it's been my experience that you only get one shot at this. If they deny, and you go back to try to argue another reason to pull down the review, it won't even allow you to submit a second request.

Put your best foot forward in selecting the reason for taking it down, e.g., defamatory, wrong business, competitor, etc;

I've had them pulled down: 1) w/o being a yelp advertiser and 2) solely through contacting them through their online report/flag form.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Ajay Prasad AI Trained to Write Convincing Fake Yelp Restaurant Reviews. Thoughts? Local Search 5
Linda Buquet Yelp Cracks Down even Harder on Fake and Manipulative Reviews Local Reviews 0
Linda Buquet Named & Shamed on Yelp + How Google Maps are Made + Dealing with Fake Reviews Local Search 0
Linda Buquet Yelp Fake Review Sting OUTS SMBs, Warns Consumers Local Search 9
S Local Services Ads - Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 4
Professor M Hi Professor M and not a fake Mike Blumenthal Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 5
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
swmaher Competitor Buying Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
C How to respond to multiple fake or duplicate GMB accounts? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
O Garage door fake maps Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Tony Wang Fake Reviews - Completely Unsolicited? Local Reviews 2
Rich Owings How to report fake/duplicate listing Spam on Google 3
D 26 GMB Locals - All fake/spam Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J Reporting 3 fake reviews...please help Local Reviews 2
Chad Fake, Negative Reviews & Reputation Management - A Personal Experience Recycle Bin 0
MKubot Punishment or Review of Competitor Fake Reviews Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 6
N "Fake" Google Map listings Spam on Google 11
O Explosion of fake maps Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Lachlan_Wells When you accidentally connect your fake location to the wrong client Spam on Google 2
M Fake Reviews/ Possible Lead Gen Company Spam on Google 5
K Fake Google calls Spam on Google 2
zach.todd Finding listings with fake reviews Local Reviews 3
ChristianRdz Removing spam/fake reviews Google My Business & Google Maps 2
M Fake Map Listings Auto-Created by Citation Service? Spam on Google 6
sixthcitysarah Is there anything you can do about competitors having fake reviews? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J Fake Google Reviews How To Report The Most Effective Way? Spam on Google 1
T Will GMB consider a review placed by a customer who was taken to court for a Judgement recovered by the business as Spam or Fake Comment? Local Reviews 1
JohnS Disgruntled x-employee leaving fake Facebook reviews Local Reviews 4
djbaxter Marketplace uncovers more than 80 fake Toronto area listings on Google Maps Spam on Google 4
J Negative Google Reviews that have been hidden behind fake business Moving or Name Changes 10
S Add "fake" joblistings to get nofollow backlinks? Citations 3
F How Does a Business Deal with Fake Reviews? Recycle Bin 0
djbaxter Brightlocal: Fake Reviews Statistics Spam on Google 4
djbaxter Fake Product Review Sites: New Type of Spam Exploit in Google Spam on Google 0
djbaxter FTC Rules that Selling Followers and Likes or Posting Fake Reviews is Illegal Local Reviews 8
J Fake listing ranking in maps and natural search Google My Business & Google Maps 5
LocalSEODat How Does a Business Deal with Fake Reviews? Local Reviews 32
LocalSEODat Can someone help with this Top Snack Pk ranking fake GMB listing? Spam on Google 3
O I am getting frustrated from fake maps Google My Business & Google Maps 7
djbaxter Google claims progress on fake business listings on Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 4
j_holtslander Tool to scan reviews for fakes? Local Reviews 2
S Multi Fake GMB listings. What evidence is best to send to support my case(s) in redressal form? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Ewan Kennedy Fake review summaries generated by schema markup Local Reviews 9
O Fake Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 2
A Fake Competitor Location Google My Business & Google Maps 7
pbarnhart The power of fake reviews - a tale from r/offmychest Local Reviews 4
mikepetersonwi Fake Facebook Reviews Local Reviews 3
JoyHawkins 4-Star Fake Review Issue - Over 2.3 Million Fake Ratings on Google Local Reviews 32
djbaxter Google's new reCaptcha v3 may help with fake reviews Websites, Software, and Security 1