More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I've known Kris Jones since my affiliate management days long ago. You may know Kris too. He's a serial entrepreneur, investor, and best-selling author of "Search-Engine Optimization - Your Visual Blueprint to Effective Internet Marketing". Kris was also the founder and former CEO of Pepperjam, a leading affiliate network he sold to eBay in 2009. And he is an investor in ReferLocal.com and LSEO.com

He recently did a good post at LSEO about local link building, so I wanted to share.

<a href="http://www.lseo.com/company/seo/5-tips-local-link-building-success/">Five (5) Under-Appreciated Sources for Local Link Building Success - LSEO.com</a>

The reality is that the original Google algorithm didn’t prioritize local intent and geography when ranking websites, but for local businesses it’s very important to recognize that it’s not necessarily about how many links you have and the quality of those links (like it is for National or International businesses), as much as it is the geographic location of those high quality links.

Less (if geographically relevant) is more.

Let me state that a bit more precisely: Local link building is about building quality links in your specific geographic location (or the location(s) where you conduct business).

For instance, if you are a small business owner in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania and your core business is conducted in and around Wilkes Barre then it makes sense for you to focus on getting links from sources in and immediately around the Wilkes Barre area.

Head over to read the rest. It's basic, but solid, local link building advice.

My advice for local link building? Think local and find creative ways to EARN links!
One of the best ways is with a super creative Google Business View photo shoot.
<a href="http://www.localsearchforum.com/google-local-important/20025-dynamic-google-business-view-get-your-creative-juices-your-traffic-flowing.html">DYNAMIC! Google Business View: Get your Creative Juices AND Your Traffic Flowing!</a>

What do you think???
<meta property="og:type" content="article"><meta property="og:title" content=""><meta property="og:description" content="">
<meta property="og:image" content="https://s3.amazonaws.com/wordpress-lseo/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/link-building-101-local.png">

That is a nice article, Linda. There is thought and substance behind it.

It gets the juices working about links on the local end, of which some are better than others.

Not all those things work "great". Some do. In some of them you have to work a bet to get the most juice, but regardless that is a thoughtful article.

Definitely some options that are easily overlooked. Thank you for sharing.

I've been a big fan of the Chamber of Commerce type sites. Many of them want the business to be a member I've found. I've had the opportunity recently to consult for a local COC website. The first thing I recommended was linking out to the businesses if they had a website and creating the badges so they get an inbound link back from all members that are part of the chamber. Still work in progress but so far so good.

Earning sounds so easy yet it's so hard sometimes...

Definitely some options that are easily overlooked. Thank you for sharing.

I've been a big fan of the Chamber of Commerce type sites. Many of them want the business to be a member I've found. I've had the opportunity recently to consult for a local COC website. The first thing I recommended was linking out to the businesses if they had a website and creating the badges so they get an inbound link back from all members that are part of the chamber. Still work in progress but so far so good.

Earning sounds so easy yet it's so hard sometimes...

Good luck with the COC site. Many of them have really weak, non helpful link pages. The COC's should restructure those pages to help the members get highlighted for local prominence. So many of those membership pages on so many of those COC sites could be vastly improved and be far more effective.

Good luck with the COC site. Many of them have really weak, non helpful link pages. The COC's should restructure those pages to help the members get highlighted for local prominence. So many of those membership pages on so many of those COC sites could be vastly improved and be far more effective.

I agree. All the ones that I have seen don't have static, live pages with helpful "dofollow" links to the members' sites. Instead, they have some sort of directory that you have to query and then the only instance of links to members' websites are on those query results pages, which will never show up as backlinks for search engines.

I speculate that they've all been sold on a few vertical market "chamber management software" products that are built this way.

The other thing, too, is that many chambers also want to upsell members and the public to buy ads in separate "Business Directories" and maybe they're reserving the static backlinks to help sell those products.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom