More threads by SeoNoob

SeoNoob

Reaction score
I have flagged a few listings that obviously use their home address as their business address but do not service clients at their location. Their location does not have a sign so their listings were removed by Google when they were reported. But after a few weeks, their listings now show up again with the same address and I can see that their locations do not have a sign up either.
Why are they allowed to keep their address without serving customers at this location?

Are these service area businesses? And are you certain they do not service customers at the location? Not all businesses display signs... it's helpful to have them when troubleshooting, but not technically a requirement. It sounds like the listing owner applied for, and was granted, reinstatement.

Are the listings verified or unverified?

So if they're verified, I wouldn't bother flagging them. I've brought this up with Google since they don't seem to be enforcing this guideline much. If they were not verified, they're not allowed on Maps at all and should be removed by using Suggest an Edit > Private.

Verified listings at homes are allowed. Technically the business *should* clear their address but if they don't, Google often does nothing about it.

Technically the business *should* clear their address but if they don't, Google often does nothing about it.

Google GMB "do as I say, not as a we do"
giphy.gif

So they have done nothing wrong essentially and you just screwed them over for a couple of weeks?

So they have done nothing wrong essentially and you just screwed them over for a couple of weeks?

Not necessarily. Technically, if the business does not service customers at the address, then the address should not be used in the listing. The listing should only show the service area. So, these businesses seem to be technically violating guidelines. Listings have been suspended by Google for much less.

What Joy is saying is that Google is relaxed about enforcing this particular requirement.

If you actually saw the amount of spam in their listings then maybe you would agree. Or maybe not.

Not necessarily. Technically, if the business does not service customers at the address, then the address should not be used in the listing. The listing should only show the service area. So, these businesses seem to be technically violating guidelines. Listings have been suspended by Google for much less.

What Joy is saying is that Google is relaxed about enforcing this particular requirement.

I understand it is technically violating the guidelines so I have no real grounds to stand on. It just seems kind of dickish to me since it's not keyword-stuffing and has even been reported on here to have 0 effect, but hey, it's a dog eat dog world.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom