russofford

Reaction score
What might the best practice be for the "Service Areas and Location Settings" for a business that is based out of a home yet they serve all of United States (yet local search terms would also apply)?

I assume I need to choose "Yes, this business serves customers at their locations", but what about the other settings I mention below?
1. Do not show my business address on my Maps listing

a. Is this box required to be checked for home-based businesses, or is that taken care of with the 'Yes, this business serves customers at their locations' setting?

b. Does hiding the address work better for home based businesses with a national reach? I do not want their local rankings to suffer either, though.

2. Distance from one location
- I don't want to limit the business to a certain distance radius from their home

3. List of areas served
- I can't choose 'United States' (it says "No area matched, please try again")
- I don't want to limit it to a list of a few States

Service Areas and Location Settings.jpg

Service Areas and Location Settings.jpg

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hi Russ,

Your questions sort of fly in the face of how Google local works. :p I mean I understand what you would LIKE to do for your client, but Google local just does not work like that.

National businesses aren't really supported in Google Local. Plus they aren't going to rank locally for any city accept the one they are located in anyway. Does not matter how big you set the radius, they will normally only rank in the city their address is in. UNLESS it's a really niche industry with low competition, in which case their KWs may not pull local results at all.

Test yourself. Search City Plumber and check any city you want. The only page one listings you'll find have addresses in that city, not 3 cities over, much less 3 states over. (Regardless how they have service areas set up.) If they did, then it would not longer be 'local' results.

Plus I believe the wider you set your radius the more it can water down your rankings for your actual homebase. Setting a wide radius is more of a scatter gun approach. Best practice recommendation is 20 mile radius.

Not certain why you would think the hide your address rule would be any different or less strict for a national business? It's probably stricter if anything.

The rule is: "If you don't conduct face-to-face business at your location" So if that applies you need to hide. However the reality is even if a business sometimes has clients come to their home, they still need to hide - because if a Google moderator looks on maps and it looks like a house or apartment, they are likely to get nuked.

"Does hiding the address work better for home based businesses with a national reach? I do not want their local rankings to suffer either, though."

Does not really matter if or how hiding address affects rankings because the only thing that's certain is that if they DO get deleted for violating the rule then they have no listing at all and no chance of ranking anywhere at all.

There are hundreds of thousands of listings that have been deleted. Many have been down for months. Even starting a new listing does not work. So IMO this guideline is nothing to even wonder about. Just have to be safe and do it.

But in general for a national business, other than the home town, should put all your energy into organic rankings.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L How to reset the address that has been hidden on GMB, if they move locations? Local Search 1
L Does selecting a service area for hidden address business have negative effects? Moving or Name Changes 1
S How to remove a GMB from maps of a previous owner who ran 3 businesses from the same address Google My Business & Google Maps 6
valentinb13 GMB uses residential address—but client wants to use PO Box for other citations... Citations 3
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Two Different Business Places at the Same Address: Should I Add Them to GMB? Local Search 1
B Will Removing Addresses for Multiple State SAB Result in Dup Listing or Suspension? Service Area Businesses 4
M Google keeps reverting our clients address, no matter how many times we send a postcard Moving or Name Changes 4
S GMB Address Update for SAB Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Dino Google not updating an address. Any ideas? Moving or Name Changes 2
A Multiple service based locations in different provinces with one physical address Multi-Location Issues 1
J Trying to figure out correct address format for GMB profile Moving or Name Changes 4
petrakraft Wrong location of an address in Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Charles Jenkins SCHEMA For local business with address hidden? Local Search 1
P GMB Physical Address Keeps Reverting Local Search 4
LocalSEODat Need help with a suspended GMB - Client had home address as place of biz, then suspended. Fixed to meet customers and got reply with no reason Service Area Businesses 6
Travis Van Slooten Hard Suspension of GMB Listing: Multiple Businesses at Same Address? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
F How To Determine a Good GMB Address? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
P Is it possible to create a second GMB page for a new business based at same address and landline? Multi-Location Issues 1
P How to clain GMB with wrong address? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
NevenaIvanova Adding Floor to Hotel's address? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
SmallBizGeek Moved a business to a new address, but no confirmation PIN? Moving or Name Changes 1
JoyHawkins [Technical Issue] Don't Change the Address on Service Area Business Listings Google News: Important Changes & Features 5
M Business Suspended for Using Virtual Address, Moving to New Real Location Moving or Name Changes 4
Tim Colling How to find the email address of another User on a GMB listing Google My Business & Google Maps 3
NickB-Tampa Listing with no ratings and incorrect address outranking listings for same business with good ratings and proper addresses Google My Business & Google Maps 5
stevedimatteo Separate Businesses at Same Mailing Address Google My Business & Google Maps 3
david.victor Brand New GMB Listing Suspended (I think) because of...address(?) NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
raellovepie 1 Address - 9 Confirmed Listings | Best way to report? Spam on Google 5
B SAB With Virtual Address - Advice Needed Help & Support for Google Local 4
S Is it possible to verify two SAB businesses with the same address if the address will be hidden? Service Area Businesses 2
C Client with multiple address across citations and web properties All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
Gordon.Ligon SAB vs Physical Address, and its ramifications for NAP citations Service Area Businesses 7
dave101 Shown vs Hidden Address on Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 3
G Address not usable for GMB location Moving or Name Changes 2
sixthcitysarah USPS Has Marked this Address Inactive? Recycle Bin 1
M NinjaForm+Stripe: Shipping address not passed to Stripe Recycle Bin 0
Mmclean07 How to handle 2 offices at same address? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Adam C. Residential Address For Service Area Business Google My Business & Google Maps 2
R Two Local Businesses Share One Address Local Search 3
S Changing the address of a SAB business Service Area Businesses 3
virens Reporting SABs incorrectly set up with fixed addresses Spam on Google 12
genzlinger Getting Business Address Found Using Siri Local Search 1
D Multiple Departments at a single address - Automotive Google My Business & Google Maps 4
TomGuard Local Ranking Better in Proximity to Verification Address Service Area Businesses 5
Conor Treacy Same address, showing two different locations Google Duplicates & Merges 2
P Change of Address - Do We Update Citations? Citations 2
KristiSimone Change to reviews from same IP address? Local Reviews 6
P 2 Businesses, Same Address, 1 local, 1 SAB Google Duplicates & Merges 5
K Map Pin Does Not Show When Business Owner Googles Their Address Google My Business & Google Maps 1
L How to get GMB listing to trigger with no address? Service Area Businesses 4