Jason Rogers

Reaction score
I have a client whose personal G+ profile is serving as the business profile. Is there any way to change the profile type? It has a few followers that I don't want to lose. Also, the GMB locations are under the same profile. What's the best course of action? Does it even matter? -- Thanks!

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi Jason,

There is no way to convert G+ profile to a GMB page. Advise your client to start using the GMB listing as the canonical business listing. It has all the reviews, ranks in the pack and local finder where you can get directions..etc.

If you see a benefit, you could reach out to the G+ followers and ask them to start following the GMB listing.

Jason Rogers

Reaction score
Thanks Colan. There are 5 locations, each with their own GMB, reviews etc. What I need is a G+ brand page, not a location. There is a personal page that is current acting as the brand page, which is not ideal. The brand is not a male born in 1973 ;-) I assumed that we can't change a personal profile to a brand page. So, what should we do? Create a new brand page? Keep things status quo? Thoughts?

Reaction score
Create a new brand page if G+ is on the list of things to invest in. This might also be a good time to re-evaluate your social media mix though. Have you gotten any value from G+ so far with the personal profile? For some industries G+ can be a useful social platform, and a good enough presence there can even impact rankings I've heard. That said, for most small businesses, time would almost certainly be better spent elsewhere.

Jason Rogers

Reaction score
Thanks James. We're not planning to invest time in G+. Really I'm just trying to clean house a bit and hoping for a simple solution. It looks like the best course is to leave it as is. Thanks!

BenFisher

Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Jason,
The main thing to consider here is time and effort for return.

The personal profile is doing nothing to assist the business. A brand page can be leveraged fairly easily if the page will be updated.

A simple blueprint for success:
1. Update the local pages once in a while, focus on quality content in posts.
2. Do the same with the brand page.
3. Share local posts from the local G+ pages on the brand page.
4. Grow the followers on the brand page, to get engagement.

What James is saying is spot on, as a social network G+ can be excellent for engagement (as high as 600%) but the real gold is in the semantic SEO effect.

When you have an engaged G+ page that has content which is relevant to the business and also to search queries, then local and organic results are lifted.

So, therefore, if Local SEO is what you are after then you may want to give this a shot.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Priya Chandra Personal profiles that look like business pages Google My Business & Google Maps 6
MattCheah Creating a +Business page without using a personal account to create it. Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Hanzel What would you do to make it in the Google 3 pack for "Personal Injury Lawyers" in Louisville Local Search 2
Rich Owings How to remove reviews left by same person for each location All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 21
P I need a recommendation of a person implementing Schema.org (vast experience in json-ld and SEO) Local SEO Job Board 4
Chad Fake, Negative Reviews & Reputation Management - A Personal Experience Recycle Bin 0
aalmarusy Facebook reviews posting to personal profile page feed Recycle Bin 3
Don Archer Facebook reviews posting to personal profile page feed Local Reviews 26
P Can you recommend a person or company to create Schema? Local Search 6
M All Users Audience Disabled Due to Policy Violation > Personal Injury Attorney Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
C Non-personalized results from mobile searches on your phone Help & Support for Google Local 6
djbaxter Indexing issue: Not Local SEO but looking for personal recommendations Local SEO Job Board 7
Monica Simpson Claiming a personality Google My Business & Google Maps 5
B Flagging Bad Reviews By Same Person - Best Practice? Local Reviews 1
Vincent Tobiaz Same person 2 profiles same review - flagging does nothing Google My Business & Google Maps 1
H Personalization in Map Pack? Local Search 4
Rich Owings Two one-star reviews from same person under two different accounts Local Reviews 11
S Sole Proprietor vs Personal Account Google Duplicates & Merges 2
S Sole Proprietor vs Personal Account Google Duplicates & Merges 2
Tim Colling 84% of people trust online reviews as much as a personal recommendation Local Search 6
H Need a PPC person for a local search client Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
Colan Nielsen How Do You Build Your Personal Brand? Consultant's Corner 3
JoyHawkins Personal Injury Lawyer Wants to Rank in Tons of Cities Local Search 50
Dustybones New AI Called Amy Might Be Your New Personal Assistant Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
A Wrong city local results for SF Personal Injury searches Local Search 4
T Personal Trainer local ranking issues Ranking Puzzles 13
txsigma41 Personal Trainer local ranking issues Ranking Puzzles 13
A Does a Personal Stylist Qualify for a Google+ Local Page Help & Support for Google Local 9
grasshoppersean backlinking from google+ personal page to website. is that a no no. Google My Business & Google Maps 5
F Free Review Request Email Form - Personal & Effective Local SEO Tools & Software 4
bluehabit Google Reveals Personal Residence on Map (its supposed to) Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Alex Weiss Unclaimed Google+ page with a company name instead of a person's name, as required. Help & Support for Google Local 4
Dustybones Google continues to show personal Doctors Google + page and we have verified pages Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Amber Robinson What account should I use when reporting duplicates- clients or personal? Help & Support for Google Local 7
G How can GOOGLE REMOVE / DELETE ALL Information about my Personal Data and Address ? Recycle Bin 1
Nick.SEOSpark Why is the review showing "by a Google User" when the person has a Google+ Profile Local Reviews 8
Eric Rohrback Personal trainers Help & Support for Google Local 2
Jason_Parks1 Years in Business (Misleading) - Thoughts? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Matt Chauhan How to deal with a business merger? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
dateinadash SAB location no longer appears next to my business Service Area Businesses 1
NevenaIvanova Need help with business detail update of a Chinese business Local Search 3
S Old Listing Hijacked by another business Spam on Google 2
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 2
L Does selecting a service area for hidden address business have negative effects? Moving or Name Changes 1
E Issues with managing business pages on Facebook Citations 3
S How to remove a GMB from maps of a previous owner who ran 3 businesses from the same address Google My Business & Google Maps 6
P How to reclassify a business as a SAB? Service Area Businesses 8
buzzrank Home inspector business category not available in Canada, but local competitors have NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
K GMB Adding Old Business Name & Putting True Name in Parathesis Only In English Browser Google My Business & Google Maps 1