More threads by AndySimpson

Update from Valentin : "So I had a first quick look but I'll have to have a deeper look at the weekend. Right now it looks to me like a Google issue "

Its good to know that other tool makers have issues with the data that is coming straight from Google.

This is an AWESOME find Andy, thanks for posting. I've been using isearchfrom for a quick general idea, and used Chrome dev tools for exact geo coordinates, but that is really tedious. This tool makes it super quick and easy.

I tried it out for just a few searches and didn't see any of the problems others have noticed, will have to check some more, though.

LocalFalcon looks really cool, too, but haven't had a chance to try it out.

Just played around with this tool a bit more and I'm seeing some spotty results. Sometimes when I'm doing local searches in a nearby town, the search results show from my current location, NOT the geo-coordinates I entered. But when it is working, it's definitely faster than messing with Chrome dev tools.

I tried LocalFalcon, too. This also looks really convenient and helpful. However, it only pulls data for non-SAB businesses. Even if the actual business you're searching for has an address, if there are other businesses that don't have an address, it won't include them in results. For example, a lot of AC businesses in my area have genuine, actual storefronts, but this tool won't show competitors with a hidden address. So just keep that in mind.

Otherwise, the visual aspect is super cool, along with all the data each pin has.

Thanks Tony for testing out Local Falcon and giving your feedback. The data is pulled from the Google API and they won't release information on businesses with hidden addresses. It definitely is a shortfall for some industries.

However, even though the Ranking Pins won't necessarily display the correct Google ranking position (in the case of AC businesses that you mentioned where some listing addresses are hidden and some are not), if the business you are interested in can be called up, running a scan periodically can still get you an idea if the overall positions are increasing or decreasing over a wider area. In cases like this, its obviously better to use in conjunction with other ranking tools to get exact positions for specific spots.

Just played around with this tool a bit more and I'm seeing some spotty results. Sometimes when I'm doing local searches in a nearby town, the search results show from my current location, NOT the geo-coordinates I entered. But when it is working, it's definitely faster than messing with Chrome dev tools.

Glad you like the tool, it was a nice little find from earlier this year and I now use it almost every week at some point or other both for desktop and mobile serp tests.

Thanks Tony, I find if I'm bouncing from different locations that a new Chrome Incognito session also helps. I also try and avoid having 2 / 3 / 4 tabs open with different location tests, etc, it's a new Chrome session per test.

Hey everyone!

I signed up for the paid version and I'm happy to report that it is well worth the cost. You can go up to an 11 x 11 grid and up to 2.9 km between grid points.

Very, very shiny!

Or, for those who are not fans of the TV series called Firefly:

Very, very cool!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom