More threads by BaggySEO

Reaction score
Hi there

I work with a Chiropractor company in London who I believe are getting blackmailed by GMB reviews. A customer has emailed them asking for a refund for their services despite them receiving correct treatment by both company and industry standards. The customer has sent them an email that contains lines such as:

"The best way to resolve or make things better would be if I could receive some form of compensation or refund therefore I'd be happy to remove or edit my comment that I have left on Google."

Since this email, three 1-star ratings have emerged on my client's practices, each using an account with no other reviews and no review text. Has anyone had any success with getting these kinds of reviews removed? I'm worried this person is pretty clued in and will not stop until they get what they want.

Any thoughts/advice welcomed.

Many thanks,

J

Hi J,

Firstly, for damage control, I'd recommend that your client responds to the 1-star reviews. Even if they're fake, responding constructively can at least limit the negative impact of the reviews to new customers. If you've no record of these reviewers visiting your client's practice, you could even say you don't have records of the user in question visiting the practice, but if they are a legitimate customer to please contact you so you can resolve the issue privately. Just make sure to reply in a polite, professional manner, even if the situation doesn't seem to warrant it...

Next, if you believe the reviews are fake, you'll want to flag them as inappropriate and then report them to Google. If you can get other team members and your client to report the reviews too, that could help to escalate the issue more quickly.

Once you've reported the reviews, you'll want to wait at least 24 hours to see if they're removed. Then, you can contact GMB support via Twitter to ensure the reviews are dealt with — outline the problem and explain the steps you've taken to report the reviews. When it comes to contacting GMB, you'll need to clearly explain why you believe the review is inauthentic and whether it violates Google's policies (more info here). If you can include screenshots that'll help too (e.g. if the account is brand-new and has never left a review anywhere else, that could help support your claim that the reviews are biased/targeted. Or the email your client received from the disgruntled customer, even).

Good luck with getting the reviews removed!

Stephanie is bang on. When you contact GMB support, provide them with evidence that the business is basically being extorted. Do you have a copy of an email where the customer is asking for compensation in return for removing the review?

You need to flag the reviews and wait 72 hours, and not 24 hours. Support will not assist you if you have not flagged the reviews and waited 72 hours. If after contacting support doesn't work, then go to the GMB forum and create a new thread asking for help. You can link to it here and I'll jump on it.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom