Todd McCall

Reaction score
It's long been my understanding that having satisfied customers enter reviews while they were physically at the client's office was a no-no that could trigger quality guidelines and get the review(s) filtered out.

But I have a client who is working with one of the review automation companies out there, a Get 5 Stars competitor, who is telling them that this is no longer the case. The reason being that there are all kinds of legitimate reasons a customer might leave a review while still at someone's location, which makes some sense.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Re: getting reviews from a client's actual location

Are we talking about someone leaving a review from their own smart phone while physically at the location? I've never heard of that being a problem, and I'd even go so far as saying it'd be very much encouraged. I've recently noticed Big Brother Google's been asking me to review places I'm 5 minutes away from just having visited. Why yes Google, I did just get mini donuts, thank you for noticing.

The thing that was (and is still) heavily discouraged, is having more than one review coming through the same device. The client can't have an ipad setup in the lobby and have customers leave reviews, even if they're each logging into their own Google account to do it. If the client's going to encourage reviews though, I'm not aware of there being a problem with customers doing it at the location vs waiting until they get home. In cases like that, even with cases where it'd make sense to be getting two reviews from the same device (a bride and groom for example that you just did wedding work for) you'll still likely find those reviews getting filtered if they do them from the same laptop or phone.

Reaction score

Just to add to James' comments - I believe it is not so much the same device, though that definitely comes into it, but the use of the same IP.

So if you offer wi-fi and customers log into that before they leave a review, then it is likely that those reviews will all be filtered as well.

and now I'm keen for mini donuts thanks James :)

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score

Yes I agree with Colan and Priya.

Plus Google can tell where the customer is when writing the review.

One of the concerns is: The cell phone sales guy could be saying: "Write a review now while you are here and I'll give you a free charger." He stands there watching/waiting as they write the review and show him it's posted.

1) Incentivized review

2) More important (as far as writing from the biz location) is the fact Google does not know if the biz owner or rep is standing right there, which would make the customer feel pressured to write the review AND would more likely result in a biased positive review.

Reaction score

That's an interesting point Linda. I've definitely seen reviews get filtered by being on the same IP (that's a great point about the wifi Priya, that didn't even occur to me) but now I wonder if Google does pay attention to reviews coming in when someone's physically on location. I'd assume no, but maybe that's something that should actually be investigated.

For what it's worth, I've at least never heard of reviews being filtered from independent, 3G devices just because they all came from the same GPS coordinates.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score

Yes sorry I was not saying it's a fact that they'll filter from the location even if different IPs.

Just saying G usually knows where we are at at any given time on mobile. And knowing how she thinks, would not surprise me if she could tell reviews were coming from on location. She maybe would not filter the occasional review - but if you got a lot from the location - she'd suspect something was up. (assumption)

I remember a car dealer that had all their reviews filtered and they were asking people to review on their cells at the dealership. But I don't know if all the customers were using the dealer WIFI or not.

Reaction score

Interesting, thanks for sharing that anecdote Linda. Maybe it would be a good idea to just play it safe and have the request for a review sent out a little later.

Todd McCall

Reaction score

Thanks everyone!

I figured that was still the case but needed to know. The endless possible variations of incentivized onsite reviews makes sense as a quality indicator.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T Client Getting Review Spammed Like Crazy - Any Additional Tips? Local Reviews 11
Colan Nielsen 10 Ways Local SEOs Can Start Helping Their Clients Get Reviews Local Reviews 4
Garrett Sussman Get More Reviews: How to Craft a Review Management Strategy for Your Clients Local Reviews 2
PaulSteinbrueck How to get Yelp to recommend new reviews? Local Reviews 5
Toby 39 Celsius Any feedback? GMB Profile reported repeatedly...now cannot get anyone to review and reinstate Help & Support for Google Local 4
Rich Owings Is this a way to get review star icons for your own site in SERPs? Local Reviews 5
T GMB 2 reviews and getting listed, etc. Google My Business & Google Maps 3
JoyHawkins Google Adds "Get More Reviews" Button in Knowledge Panel Google News: Important Changes & Features 3
LocalSEODat Hey Gang - if you get high volume of reviews and only reply to positive ones, is that a bad thing? Local Reviews 2
JoyHawkins Issue with Schools Not Being Able to Get New Reviews on GMB Google News: Important Changes & Features 5
L Get Email Notification for Google Review but not showing in Dashboard Local Reviews 4
M How do you get the Google Reviews Stars to stick? Local Search 18
PaulSteinbrueck Best Practices for Getting "Recommended" Yelp Reviews? Local Reviews 16
A Issues With Getting a Review From Ex Employee Removed on Google Local Reviews 23
AndySimpson A+ local guide's post getting pushed to the top of the reviews Local Reviews 3
JoyHawkins Google Not Getting Review Flags Google My Business & Google Maps 4
KevinJr Can You Get a 5-Star Average on Google with Negative Reviews? Local Reviews 9
JoyHawkins How Do You Deal With Competitors That Get Fake Reviews? Local Reviews 7
Garrett Sussman 3 Creative Ways to Use Community Events to Get Reviews For Your Local Business Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman How To Get Business Reviews: Back to Basics Local Reviews 0
Garrett Sussman Selling Review Management: How To Get Your Agency’s Foot In The Door Local Reviews 9
Garrett Sussman How To Get Business Owner Buy-in For Online Review Management Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman How To Get Your Unhappy Customers To Change a Bad Review Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman Senior Citizen Reviews: Getting Amazing Reviews From Low-Tech Customers Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman Your Employee Gets Called Out In a Review. Now What? Local Reviews 6
Benjamin Beck How to get reviews in a sensitive niche? Local Reviews 10
S Nifty tool to get a direct link to review on Google Local Reviews 4
JoyHawkins Getting Rid of Slanderous Google Review Local Reviews 3
Linda Buquet How To Get Google Review Links after the G+ Update with Grade.us via Greg Gifford Local Reviews 2
djbaxter Getting Google to remove reviews that label staff racist and autistic Local Reviews 4
Linda Buquet The Fine Art of Asking for and GETTING Local Reviews Local Reviews 6
Priya Chandra You don't need to be 'Local' on Facebook to get reviews Local Search 3
A How do I get ZocDoc reviews to show up on Google My Business page? Local Reviews 8
Margaret Ornsby Fascinating - a reviewer gets fined - are the tables finally turning? Consultant's Corner 2
Dustybones Why you should diversify the sites you get reviews on Local Reviews 3
Tyson Downs Getting Reviews: What Sites Don't Require an Account? Local Reviews 3
Travis Van Slooten 4 Reviews Gets You Stars Now on Google+ Local? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Travis Van Slooten How Many Reviews Can Your Listing Have Before Google Gets Suspicious? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Linda Buquet Heat Map Study - New Review Stars, Do they Get the Clicks? Local Reviews 2
N The best way to get a review after a job? Local Reviews 11
JoyHawkins Getting Google Review Issue in the Media Local Search 3
B Keep getting Being reviewed after verification Help & Support for Google Local 28
Colan Nielsen NEW Claim your listing on BrightLocal's Agency Directory: Get in front of relevant customers and win leads LSF News and Announcements 0
Tim Colling I'm getting calls from "Google Maps" at 650-206-5555, asking about clients' hours - are they legit? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Tim Kahlert How to get the insights report's csv file into a good format? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 6
R Map pin and get directions discrepancy Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Webinar Get together with Google Search at Search Central Live - February 23, 2021 Events 0
K Getting slammed on Q&A Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Scott ClientClicks How to get GMB to show social media icons in knowledge panel? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
H Google COVID 19 posts getting suspended Google My Business & Google Maps 2