More threads by Mike G

Mike G

Reaction score
My client, a local plumber, noticed on 7/19/20 that the Ph. # displayed in his GMB listing is not his #. The correct Ph. # displays when using a computer. He claims that it has always displayed correctly on his phone before.

When I looked at his GMB account, I say that Google Assistant calls we turned on. I thought that this might be the reason. I have turned it off, but the issue persists 24 hrs. later.

I also looked at several of his competitors listing via phone and computer. Again, the # that appears on the phone is not the business' #, but the computer GMB displays the correct #.

When you click the # to call, it activates the phone with the proper phone #, not the one displayed.

So I widened my look (I looked at lawn care, electricians and department stores) The Dept. Store displayed Ph. #s matched, but the numbers for local electricians & lawn care companies did not.

Any idea what is going on? My client is very proud of his Ph. # and wants it to display on all devices all the time. He is also afraid that spoof numbers may make people question the legitimacy of his business.

Any help and advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Hey @Mike G

My gut tells me it is related to whatever is happening here - 2nd Phone Number Showing up on GMB - Local Search Forum

Have you contacted GMB support to see what they say? If you do, can you report back on what they tell you?

For the other examples that you came across with the electricians, are those listings you manage or random listings you checked in the wild? And were you comparing the GMB number with what is listed on the website?

Hey @Mike G

My gut tells me it is related to whatever is happening here - 2nd Phone Number Showing up on GMB - Local Search Forum

Have you contacted GMB support to see what they say? If you do, can you report back on what they tell you?

For the other examples that you came across with the electricians, are those listings you manage or random listings you checked in the wild? And were you comparing the GMB number with what is listed on the website?

Thanks @Colan Nielsen ,

We only have one phone # listed on our GMB.

The other examples like electrician were random searches. I will do some more today. MY initial discovery is that it is affecting service businesses and not B&M stores. I.e. the department store. showed the correct numbers but law care services did not.

It may be related to some form of call-tracking system. The number changes regularly when viewed via mobile devices and all seem to call the right place. (I believe Google has/is offering both Callrail & Google Assistant Calls) Hence, why I made sure I have Google Assistant Calls turned off.

I have reached out to Google Support. here is the canned message they have sent me twice, eve after send them screenshots showing the different ph#s.

"I have checked your business details and found out that the only number that is live for your business on Google maps and search is ´+1 919-554-9888´ and the same can be checked here. If you have further questions related to this issue, simply reply to this email and we'll be happy to help! For additional support on a different issue, you can always reach us via our Help Center [g.co/gmbhelp]. You may receive an email survey regarding your interaction with GMB Support. We value your feedback"

They just responded this morning to my request that the issue gets upgraded:

"I request you to 'Send Feedback' for the same so that the incorrect details are shared with the relevant team and they can review the information. Once they find the information provided by you relevant, you will automatically see the changes going live on search results. Once you will report on Google maps concerned team will get the notification they will do their checks and will take action accordingly."

I thought that that was what I was doing by contacting GMB support.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have gotten some clarity - The listing section at issue is actually part of Local Services. Although my client does not buy ads, this section lists local businesses that have GBM profiles under the paid ads. Because it is run by the ad serving program, what I am seeing are the call tracking phone numbers.

Any ideas as to if the "free ads" can request to not have the call tracking active?

Thanks,

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom