Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Ahhh, very cool share Malcolm. I had not gotten to it yet.

Can't wait to dig in!

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I just weighed in over there. Here are my thoughts...

"Wow Jeff, fantastic article. Can't wait to dig in a little more.

A couple of my new Advanced G+ Local training clients are BPTPs and I've asked them to start tracking before and after rankings for clients.

Short of having any type of concrete data, here are some thoughts I have...

I'm thinking just doing photos won't directly boost rankings. However I think it can increase TRUST, which does play a part in the local algo to some degree. Part of the local algo involves trying to weed out scammers and spammers with fake locations. Plus we know Google favors brick and mortar businesses in local. So having a photog come in and shoot the physical location could be sort type of minor trust signal.

PLUS having a 3d tour could increase engagement and click-through on Google and both are measured and play some part in the algo.

Regarding the ranking analysis... I do local ranking troubleshooting all the time and there are many other variables that can be at play. A couple issues...

On-site organic factors still IMO rule the top of the pack. Usually A - C, but it varies based on competition. So that's why you can find unclaimed bare Place pages with no reviews in the A spot. It's due to their organic strength. So domain age or even backlink analysis does not tell the whole story. Because the right type of "local" SEO can overshadow other factors oftentimes.

On the flip side, a business could have great on-site SEO, business photos and tons of reviews and citations. In otherwords they could have everything going for them - BUT if they have Place page violations or Places ranking penalties or dupes, they will drop out of the pack and won't rank in the 7 pack at all - even though they have done everything else right.

So anyway, any type of analysis would need to look at a bunch of other factors but I still think this info is super interesting and helpful.

Many of the local search pros I train are interested in finding out more about business photos so I'm planning a webinar soon. Maybe you could join us and weigh in with some of your findings?"

Louis Nava

Reaction score
Linda, You are so very correct. Everything you described is what had drawn me to your site earlier this year. I was wanting to know answers to why I noticed certain business get bumped up after the photos while others did not. Clearly I knew I was missing something and naturally I want the best for my customers.

I knew I was on the right track once I heard the various strategies that Linda and her pros promote here (there's plenty of misleading info out there) because when +Local started to form, us photogs were right in the middle of all of those technical issues and needed quick answers from Google. We have info but there's plenty that we didn't know and still don't because the bigger picture for +Local is still being rolled out and of course things change so rapidly.

I am willing to share what I've seen and done... but in no way can I claim that it officially relates to ranking factors. Does it help reach a more targeted audience? Yes we have some data on that. But, what ever we uncover or share here on the forums has to be on a case by case basis only for now and is not meant to be the same for every business. Sorry for the bit of a disclaimer but I thought I'd put that out there just in case.

Do the photos and tours build trust with targeted audiences, Yes they do. Would a customer be more likely to decide to go somewhere once they knew what it offered, what it looked like, once it set those expectations? It's attractive but that's for the customer to decide.

But does it also mean that Google now knows that you are who you say you are? Yes it does, and IMO that is huge! It's now easier to detect the real from the spammy. I say, Algo, do your spam detection elsewhere!

Can't wait till we all start digging deeper on this feature.. this should be very exciting.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Thanks so much for weighing in Louis. I was looking forward to your insights.

Looking forward to brainstorming these issues with you on our Pro conference call on Thursday.

Louis Nava

Reaction score
I'm happy to add into the topic as much as possible. For example, we can talk about how I've seen the photos affect the carousel and the new maps 3 pack, etc... but I figure give a bit of an over view for starters and then we can add more as we go along. There's a lot to talk about. ;)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B Google My Business Product Photo Errors Google My Business & Google Maps 3
A Our Google My Business got disabled for unknown reasons. Here is my page, any suggestions? (photo included) Google My Business & Google Maps 4
keyserholiday Google My Business missing photos workaround Google My Business & Google Maps 20
SEOGretzky Google My Business Photos - Public View Google My Business & Google Maps 10
JoyHawkins Using Text in Profile Photo in Google My Business? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
djbaxter Google My Business: Looking Good Online with GMB Photos Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Garrett Sussman Google My Business Reviews Add Photo/Video Option To Dialogue Box Local Reviews 12
D Any experiences with the Google Business View, the 360 degree photo tour of an smb Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Linda Buquet Google Launches Greatly Enhanced Business Photos - Google My Business Update Google My Business & Google Maps 19
3 10 Reasons to Get a Google Business View Photo Shoot Google Business View 2
360 Spin 10 Reasons to Get a Google Business View Photo Shoot Google My Business & Google Maps 2
C Changing Cover Photo in Google My Business Google My Business & Google Maps 8
L Ultimate Guide to Google Business View (Previously Google Business Photos) Google Business View 14
Linda Buquet Ultimate Guide to Google Business View (Previously Google Business Photos) Google My Business & Google Maps 14
3 Google Business Photos May Correlate With Higher Local Search Ranking Google Business View 5
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 2
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
U Google showing location of Service Area Business Service Area Businesses 2
Lluc Google launches Years in Business in Search Google My Business & Google Maps 3
NickB-Tampa How can I unsync Google My Business from my Bing Places listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
F Turkish post: Google My Business local seo Recycle Bin 0
D Google Maps, Years in Business Google My Business & Google Maps 4
F Google My Business local seo Google Local 101 3
M Can I Use Google Voice for Google My Business Phone Number? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
A Google My Business Provider Program API Access İssues Recycle Bin 0
W Accepted Health Insurance Feature on Google My Business Google News: Important Changes & Features 14
Colan Nielsen NEW Google My Business is Testing "Services" Justifications Google News: Important Changes & Features 6
ryannbull Is there a bank of definitions for Google My Business Categories? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
ryannbull We have added a question to our client's Google My Business Q&A section and it keeps disappearing. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Help & Support for Google Local 4
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Review Schema Mark up and Google My Business Reviews Local Search 4
Brian Barwig New Google My Business Messaging Options Google My Business & Google Maps 1
whitespark Everything You Need to Know About Google My Business Posts Google My Business & Google Maps 3
JoyHawkins Are Local Services Ads Stealing Clicks from Google My Business? A Case Study of 110 Listings Paid Search and Local Service Ads 0
M Google My Business has been 5 months, no verification code has been received Help & Support for Google Local 3
Caroline S 1 Service Area Business, 10 Listings, Several Redressals Reported, No Action From Google - Help! Help & Support for Google Local 7
Brian Barwig Overview of New Google My Business Messaging Options Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Professor M Google My Business Messaging and Metrics are getting a boost Google My Business & Google Maps 13
Professor M Google Maps and Google My Business Big Changes - Google Maps Local News Feed Google My Business & Google Maps 26
Claire Carlile New Google My Business Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 1
JoyHawkins Search Console vs Google My Business (GMB) Insights: A Large Case Study Google My Business & Google Maps 4
BenFisher Google My Business Adding Reinstatement Request Google My Business & Google Maps 0
abbiebeltran Amway or Avon - Best Practice Google My Business Service Area Businesses 3
Lanerizz Help For Pending Google My Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Colan Nielsen Top 10 Changes That Impacted Google My Business in 2020 Google My Business & Google Maps 1
jpayne7 Google Favoring Rich Snippets for Job Postings over Local Business Listings? Google Local 101 4
JoyHawkins Hijacked Google My Business Listings On The Rise Google My Business & Google Maps 4
ErinJones Google My Business Category Changes by Month Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Colan Nielsen Top 10 Changes That Impacted Google My Business in 2020 Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Niki Wrong facebook link on Google business listing Help & Support for Google Local 2
J Google My Business Won't Save Category Google My Business & Google Maps 1