More threads by SSMMatt

SSMMatt

Reaction score
Our client changed the name of the business in GBP just before requesting a verification postcard. Can I change it back after the verification postcard has already been sent but before verification?

The business' citations and actual legal name do not match the name they changed it to. I don't want to verify only to be suspended.

Solution
Our client changed the name of the business in GBP just before requesting a verification postcard. Can I change it back after the verification postcard has already been sent but before verification?

The business' citations and actual legal name do not match the name they changed it to. I don't want to verify only to be suspended.

This is a tricky question. If you change the name after getting verified, one of four things will happen.
1. Google will accept the edit
2. The edit will go into pending review
3. Google will force you to verify the profile again
4. You will get suspended.

If you edit the name now, the pin will be invalid, and you will have to request a new one. This could look spammy to Google and they could...

This is a tricky question. If you change the name after getting verified, one of four things will happen.

If you edit the name now, the pin will be invalid, and you will have to request a new one. This could look spammy to Google and they could suspend the profile.

Your best advice is to delete it and start all over again.

Solution

If you edit the name now, the pin will be invalid, and you will have to request a new one. This could look spammy to Google and they could suspend the profile.

Your best advice is to delete it and start all over again.

Thank you. And if we do not change the name, will it eventually get suspended anyway because it doesn't' match the legal name and citations?

Thank you. And if we do not change the name, will it eventually get suspended anyway because it doesn't' match the legal name and citations?

Google will only suspend a business profile for keyword stuffing if there are other violations. If the address is supposed to be hidden and it isn't, and they have keyword stuffing, they can get suspended if they get reported by a competitor. You won't be able to get help from support as long as the business name is in violation.

In this case, it's not keyword stuffing. They just changed the state from the abbreviated CA to California which is at the start of the business name.

Perhaps we should do a DBA after it's verified?

Alternatively, any idea how long after deleting a profile and starting again would take?

In this case, it's not keyword stuffing. They just changed the state from the abbreviated CA to California which is at the start of the business name.

Perhaps we should do a DBA after it's verified?

Alternatively, any idea how long after deleting a profile and starting again would take?

Leave as it is. If you want to do it right, get a DBA.

Thanks, Keyser. So you're saying to leave the name not to delete and just get a DBA?

It will take a few weeks to get the DBA and the card is already en route. Should we try to verify with the postcard even though the DBA is not complete?

Thanks, Keyser. So you're saying to leave the name not to delete and just get a DBA?

It will take a few weeks to get the DBA and the card is already en route. Should we try to verify with the postcard even though the DBA is not complete?

Deleting and starting fresh with the actual business name is sounding better by the minute. What am I missing if we do that?

Hi @keyserholiday , It's been a while and we finally got around to updating the GBP name to match the DBA/Trade Name for this "landscape" business. It got suspended (what doesn't these days?). To appeal, we submitted the dba/trade name information (it's in Arizona) and Google said they needed additional proof of ownership.
  • A scanned copy or a link to your business registration showing your business address.
  • A business license showing your business address.
  • A utility bill showing your business address.
Here's the wrinkle, the initial verification postcard went to a different address than what's on the business license, etc. Does this mean that the hidden address on this SAB is where the postcard was sent?

This was done by the owner because he has another business (tree service) at the same address that shows on the business license.

I thought to change the address but have concerns that it might cause an issue for the tree service business.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Matt

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom