More threads by HoosierBuff

Reaction score
Hi All,

This was news from 2 weeks ago, but, I wanted to see if there is any experience with Google Guarantee. . .specifically being a part of the Google Guaranteed program while NOT being apart of the local service ads?

I'm slightly confused by this article, as it seems to imply that you need to be apart of Google Guarantee to show up in voice search (I can't verify with Google home right now, but, that seems impossible to be true).

My understanding is: Any business can show up in voice search, where google Guaranteed is offered businesses can sign up for that without commiting to be apart of Google LSA's (this was news to me).

'Google Guarantee' local listings appearing in Google Home results - Search Engine Land

Anybody have any experience with this?

Earlier this month (or last) we had a thread going that (I believe) stated that you can be Google Guaranteed without doing LSA's. You just have to sign up for LSA's, go through the process, then cancel the LSA's and you'll still show up in the Google Guaranteed section but without the "Google Guarantee".

Is that's true, and the only people showing up in Google home are "Google Guaranteed" companies, then the article is wrong and the only way to get in Google Home is to advertise and keep "Google Guaranteed" running. Which makes sense. Why would Google pay out $2,000 for the "Google Guarantee" for someone not spending (advertising) any money with them?

If you can indeed get "Google Guaranteed" without signing up for LSA's I'd like to know how.

The article states you can:

"Any local provider can become eligible to show up in those results by going through our verification process and earning the Google Guarantee badge — which is completely free."

Yet The Google Guarantee - Google Ads Help states:

If you’re a business, you can apply to get the Google Guarantee by signing up for Local Services ads.

Something isn't quite right here.

The only way I can see around currently it is that in the article screenshot it looks like Google Home is only showing either a) Google guaranteed companies or b) HomeAdvisor screened companies. Maybe Google Home isn't showing just "Google Guaranteed"?

Definitely need to see some clarification on this.

Does anyone know Greg Sterling and can get him to come here and comment?

I did some testing. . . in suburban Cleveland, HVAC and plumbing searches only give Google or HomeAdisor Guaranteed results - at least in the first 5 results. In Suburban Chicago, none of the results I got were guaranteed. I'm not sure if I did the same keyword or not. .. and I need to test it again (my google device is at my home).

I feel like the answer is going to be: You can sign up for LSA, but, not spend anything, and that is why you get the Google Guarantee.

I Called google to try to sign up for the Google Guarantee, and they said that you had to be a paying LSA participant to get the Google Guarantee. Something is fishy here.

Local Services results have been present on Google Assistant and Google Home since November 2017. Google has not been charging businesses for these leads.

If you're already in Local Services, your listing can appear in Assistant results. My understanding is that if you are not already in LSA and just want to be in the Assistant results, you can fill out that form. If you pass the vetting process you could then appear in the Assistant results as a Google Guaranteed business.

Participants in the Local Services ads program that have already gone through the screening process are automatically eligible and included in local services on the Assistant at no charge.

If you're not currently a Local Services ads participant but would like to be part of local services on the Assistant, fill out this interest form.

I do not know any businesses that have signed up this way so I can't confirm.

Great info. Would love to see someone sign up for this to see if it works or not.

Yes, it would be great to test this out. Anyone have any clients or friends in any of these categories that aren't already in LSA?
  • Plumbers
  • House cleaners
  • Locksmiths
  • Heating and air conditioning services
  • Electricians
  • Garage door repair services
  • House painters
  • Appliance repair services

I've got an HVAC client that needs this. It's complicated right now but I'm hoping to be able to pull him in that direction. I'll report back if I do and when I complete the application.

It's a tough sell. Go through the pain of LSA onboarding only to appear in Assistant results where consumers aren't likely looking for you. I would assume the business could then join LSA at that point though since they've already passed the checks.

A great one to try would be a painting company. They wouldn't have to go through the tech background checks and in most markets, only HomeAdvisor screened results currently appear. As far as I know, SF and Sacramento are the only markets with GG results for painters.

It's a tough sell. Go through the pain of LSA onboarding only to appear in Assistant results where consumers aren't likely looking for you. I would assume the business could then join LSA at that point though since they've already passed the checks.

A great one to try would be a painting company. They wouldn't have to go through the tech background checks and in most markets, only HomeAdvisor screened results currently appear. As far as I know, SF and Sacramento are the only markets with GG results for painters.

I believe after you do LSA onboarding you appear in the regular search results for LSA's, just at the bottom with no Google guarantee.

@JoshuaMackens LSA onboarding requires GG, so that's not how you appear at the bottom of LSA results. Those companies are "random" results Google places there, probably trying to entice them to sign up with LSA

@TomW I don't have any clients that fit your description, but just did a quick search and found a plumbing company that is not in the LSA/GG pack, but rather below, showing no signage of GG. However, when you click on the profile, it shows under their company "overview" that they "Passed background check..." Furthermore, Google Asst (via phone) pulled them up in a list, showing GG!

@JoshuaMackens LSA onboarding requires GG, so that's not how you appear at the bottom of LSA results. Those companies are "random" results Google places there, probably trying to entice them to sign up with LSA

@TomW I don't have any clients that fit your description, but just did a quick search and found a plumbing company that is not in the LSA/GG pack, but rather below, showing no signage of GG. However, when you click on the profile, it shows under their company "overview" that they "Passed background check..." Furthermore, Google Asst (via phone) pulled them up in a list, showing GG!

Sorry, I didn't finish the thought. If you sign up for LSA's and then stop advertising, that's when you appear at the bottom with no Google Guarantee. That's what's been discussed on the forum anyway.

Hey @Tony Wang and @JoshuaMackens

If a business pauses their ad in LSA they will continue to show in the free results section (without the guarantee) but their profile will still indicate that they've passed the background checks. And I believe that the listing can still appear in Assistant results with the Google Guaranteed label while the ad is paused. So that would make it difficult to tell a business that has their ad paused vs a business that signed up through that form to show in the Assistant results for free.

Hey @Tony Wang and @JoshuaMackens

If a business pauses their ad in LSA they will continue to show in the free results section (without the guarantee) but their profile will still indicate that they've passed the background checks. And I believe that the listing can still appear in Assistant results with the Google Guaranteed label while the ad is paused. So that would make it difficult to tell a business that has their ad paused vs a business that signed up through that form to show in the Assistant results for free.

So if paused, they will show up in LSA's without GG but in Assistant searches with GG?

I have a locksmith client in Miami, who, it would seem should be able to qualify for the LSA, but when I try to sign him up in adwords, it asks for his zipcode and then denies him (His GMB is storefront). Since Locksmiths are a Service Area Business what do you think about him opening a branch office using his home address which is in another zipcode that we already know are showing LSA ads, which he does cover in his business as well. He's already been google verified as a locksmith and will be able to pass the background check etc.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom