Reaction score
Some may already be seeing the new update where Google has changed the layout to 3 columns which seems to focus on reviews. A "widget", of sorts, that includes 3 buttons (Review, Directions and Photos) now shows up in the top left. This makes it easier for the user to find where to leave a review. The issue? This layout only seems to show when you are NOT logged into a Google account. As always, here are some screenshots of the findings.

Here is the standard layout
FireShot+Screen+Capture+%u002523015+-+'Crafty+Wood+Cutouts+-+Google+'+Old.jpg

Here is the new or "not logged in" layout.

FireShot Screen Capture #098 - 'Crafty Wood Cutouts - About - Google+' New.jpg

I have been playing around with the display settings for the Google+ Local page but they have not seemed to have any affect. I know all you fabulous users and contributors may be seeing the same thing and might have more insight.

Thanks

Last edited by Linda Buquet; Today at 09:40 PM. Reason: I'm calling this an update now, not a test. Moved to G+ L IMPORTANT - Changed Title from "Google+ Local 'about' tab changing or just different for "logged in" users" to more descriptive title.

Thanks for breaking the story here Ryan!

FireShot+Screen+Capture+%u002523015+-+'Crafty+Wood+Cutouts+-+Google+'+Old.jpg

FireShot Screen Capture #098 - 'Crafty Wood Cutouts - About - Google+' New.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
WHOA! That's new and refreshing!

Ryan can I call you our official bird dog?

Or maybe we should come up with an Eagle Eye award when folks spot and share updates like this!!!

I'm not seeing it yet. But am excited to check it out when it gets to me!

Thanks again for sharing!!!

Reaction score
Hawkeye. He is kind of a cool superhero and part of the Avengers. Not Ironman or Thor but still cool. Hey, we could have a club... The Google Local Avengers haha.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hey Hawkeye, I've been curious about this. Where are you based?
What browser? You only see it when logged out?

Inquiring minds want to know... :p

Just Tweeted and G+ed this to see if anyone else can see it yet.

I REALLY like the horizontal review display a lot!

Scott Rawlins

Solutions
Reaction score
I am not seeing this either, but have to agree with Linda. I do like the layout better and helping consumers find the review button a little easier.

Reaction score
Big LOL!

Hey Hawkeye, I've been curious about this. Where are you based?
What browser? You only see it when logged out?

I'm located in Salt Lake City, UT. I've tested with Chrome, Firefox and, as painful as it was, IE. All show the same results depending on whether you are logged into Google or not.

Reaction score
This is a super catch! Thank you so much for sharing it. Like others, I'm not seeing it yet, including on your example page of the craft store. Looks like Google is testing something very cool here. Agree, like the layout!

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
YAY finally had time to look and I see it now.

Odd for me in FF even with large screen it's the new layout but single narrow column down. Lots of wasted space on the sides. But in Chrome and IE it's the 3 column layout.

I really like it and Google is really putting reviews front and center. Including more visibility for 3rd party reviews which is interesting.

Will be interesting to see where this is all heading. I don't think they would put energy into the page if they are going to continue to keep it hidden. So I suspect something is up.

Reaction score
Glad to see this actually took hold. I like the new focus on reviews. This, of course, raises more questions.

- How important are reviews for ranks? That's a very common debate in our community but you cannot deny that this is one of the deciding factors of someone picking a business. Crappy reviews = Less traffic.
- Will G be changing the algorithm to have reviews affect ranks more? Who knows! This is definitely a possibility, well, anything is a possibility.
- Is it the reviews that affect the ranking or the amount of interaction with the listings that is factored into the algorithm. More reviews = more traffic. Better ranks? Who knows!

I'm not trying to confuse anyone, I just like raising questions. :D

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
All the pages that I'm checking right now seem to have reverted back to the original layout. Google's a tease.

Oh man. Google's a BIG tease! That was short. But I think it will be back. Maybe they found a glitch.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
James Watt Google SERPs Display Changes - Some that Affect Local Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Linda Buquet Images in the Local SERPs - 2 More New Google Local Displays Being Tested Google My Business & Google Maps 15
Linda Buquet Google Update: Local Carousel is Going Away, New Display - Confirmed by Google Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Linda Buquet New Google Local Display Layout - Being Tested? Replacing Carousel??? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Gayle Katz How Google Local business listing pictures display on mobile Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Blake Denman New Google Mobile Local Display Google My Business & Google Maps 3
L Google+ Local IMAGES After the Display Update??? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
Linda Buquet Google+ Local IMAGES After the Display Update??? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
M Google Local Services Ads - Lack of Leads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
rustybrick Google Local ranking update? Google Algorithm Discussions 5
F Turkish post: Google My Business local seo Recycle Bin 0
F Google My Business local seo Google Local 101 3
B Google Beacons helping Local visability? Local Search 1
JoyHawkins Are Local Services Ads Stealing Clicks from Google My Business? A Case Study of 110 Listings Paid Search and Local Service Ads 0
M Decreased traffic to Google maps due to local service ads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Professor M Google Maps and Google My Business Big Changes - Google Maps Local News Feed Google My Business & Google Maps 26
jpayne7 Google Favoring Rich Snippets for Job Postings over Local Business Listings? Google Local 101 4
NexstarNickR Google Local Service Ads: Price Increases due to Bidding Rollout Paid Search and Local Service Ads 3
NickB-Tampa URL is updated in Google My Business but doesn't show up correctly in maps or on Bright Local Local Search 2
U How is Google Selecting Places on Google Local Context Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 0
djbaxter Google adds local listings to autocomplete Local Search 1
Adam C. Google Local Services Ads Management / Setup Paid Search and Local Service Ads 13
Zhanna A business completely disappeared from Google Local Finder Google My Business & Google Maps 3
C Website URLs for Multiple locations in Google My Business & Local Citations Google My Business & Google Maps 2
gsterling Comparing Local Ads/Extensions to Conventional Google Ads Local Search 0
G DUP All Regus Offices Prohibited on Google+ Local? New Policy? Recycle Bin 0
F New local feature box on Google DE Local Search 2
Nathan_NZ Local Pack and Google Maps Correlation Google My Business & Google Maps 1
S Free tool for local businesses - update data on Google, Facebook, Yelp, etc. - would you use it? Local SEO Tools & Software 7
JSammon512 Better Data in Google Ads & Analytics for Local Pack Ads (Google Local Extensions) Help & Support for Google Local 1
djbaxter Local U 2019: Map Spam, Review Stars, Google Winning, Yelp Losing, and Joy Hawkins Local Search 0
ashley.smith Does Google My Business prioritize reviews from Local Guides over other users? Local Reviews 7
Jac New Feature >> Got an email from Google >> New! Earn Local Guides points for amazing lists Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Dan Foland Google Starts Showing Local Results for Some Sex-Related Legal Queries (Again) Local Search 10
J Anyone notice these factors on Google Local Search since the update? Local Search 5
nathangdavidson What's the best way to advise Google when there's a bogus business listing returned in a Local Pack? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
H Google Guaranteed and Voice Search and Local ads Google My Business & Google Maps 14
J Software Development Companies - Google Doesn't Treat Related Searches as Local Local Search 4
JoyHawkins Google Posts Showing in the Local Finder Google My Business & Google Maps 14
R Free Webinar: Local SEO Guide Google Ranking Factors for 2019 Events 0
R Free Webinar: Google Local Service Ads with Tom Waddington Events 1
BenFisher Google Testing Posts and Description Position in Local Finder. Google My Business & Google Maps 2
OnlineLobstar Has Google Forgotten About the Quality of Local Search Results? Service Area Businesses 8
JoyHawkins Ask Joy Hawkins Anything About Google My Business - Local Marketing Institute Events 10
David Wu Strategies to expand geographic coverage of my Google local search (3 pack) Local Search 29
Dan Foland Google Officially Announces 'Local Service Businesses' Improvements Service Area Businesses 6
rosie.brightlocal Google Reviews Study: How are local businesses using Google Reviews? Local Reviews 1
Nikos Frustrated with New Google Hotel Finder Local Pack Local Search 6
juliaannCA Facebook Challenges Google in Local Search Recycle Bin 0
C Google Local Knowledge Panel Contact Us Messages 3