More threads by MKubot

MKubot

Solutions
Reaction score
Does it still matter if you embed Google maps on your landing page for a local business? It slows down our site speed. We want to replace with just and image. But, we rank well, so I don’t want to lose anything. Any recent studies?!

Thanks!

@MKubot, if the iframe is high up on the page or the slowest-loading element by far, then maybe ditch the embedded map by using an image and linking the image to the Maps URL. Otherwise, I'd keep it, because it's usually good UX and because you want to encourage driving-direction lookups.

I went for a linked image for precisely that reason. Google wants fast web pages but it's funny how their services are often the worst culprits for slowing pages down. :)

@Phil Rozek and @djbaxter - Thanks! We are removing. Does it matter if it links to the GMB or the directions? We were going to do the directions URL, but it sounds like maybe the general GMB is better?

Directions:

Maps Link:

^^^ Is that the correct link?

Thanks!

@MKubot, I wouldn't say it matters. Personally, though, I'd link to Maps / GMB. That's just because (1) people may want want to see info other than directions, and (2) there's no chance that the "Your Location" field is populated incorrectly by Google, as it might be if the user isn't signed into Google. Still, it's just a question of what you think your visitors would find more useful.

Does it still matter if you embed Google maps on your landing page for a local business? It slows down our site speed. We want to replace with just and image. But, we rank well, so I don’t want to lose anything. Any recent studies?!

Thanks!

Yes I believe so, any verifiable information that shows your business on the map, is great to build trust with your prospects.

We ended up taking out the embedded map and nothing happened with rankings. I think the point is to connect the page to the maps, which can be done with a button link and sameAs schema.

Not everything has SEO or ranking value. However, it may have an impact on potential customers. Darren Shaw debunked this myth here.

Not everything has SEO or ranking value. However, it may have an impact on potential customers. Darren Shaw debunked this myth here.

Got it. Thanks! I can't believe conversions increase with those embedded boxes. I find them hard to scroll and slow loading. The point seems like it's about the directions link + the star ratings. I'm not sure the general public knows that box comes directly from Google either.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom