More threads by KungFuBacklinks

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to report something new I've noticed:

I usually have my assistants create business pages. They tell me they usually select the local business category, and things always go off without a hitch, today, though, I notice that creating a Local Business category Business Page means that the page MUST be verified before any changes become visible. (!?!?!?!)

I want to delete the page now and try an "organization" type now, but the confirmation request makes it sound like I'd then be deleting my entire Google account.

This is nuts. I now have 1 Google Plus Local page (verified) 1 semi-full Google Plus Business Page and now 1 Empty Google Plus Business page.

I'm not worried about what problems this is going to cause.

I have never seen this before. Any insights?

Thanks

Yep, it's yet a new glitch or possibly just poor messaging.

See this whole post: http://localsearchforum.catalystema...ogle-local-now-forcing-g-business-merges.html

But especially read #9 with a link to the G forum and comments from Jade.

I've been trying to explain something is technically wrong. It's trying to force merges even for SABs that are not supposed to merge.

But Jade told me something to the effect that the messaging is unclear. She THINKS the issue is just that the message means if you don't verify your changes won't be visible on MAPs or Google search (because if not verified it's just a G+ page.) Does NOT mean they won't go live at all, which is the way it sounds!

So it SOUNDS like it's saying your changes won't go live at all, but MEANS won't show up in search on maps. (Is that distinction clear?)

But I've seen some people sound like they kinda get locked out if they don't verify.
So it seems like there is also possibly a tech glitch to me.

Are you at a point on a page where you can test this? Just say no to verification and see if the page works???

Hi Linda,

Our Google+ Local page has been verified for over a year. We have had our Google+ Business page up since Google let us. Recently, when I tried to make an edit on our business profile page, it prompted me to verify the page even though we are considered a service based area business that they don't want you to merge. It's crazy, so we are waiting for the postcard in the mail and going to see what happens.

I don't want to merge the G+ Business and G+ Local page for fear it will mess up our G+ Local page. Should we do nothing and wait? I can go without making the edit on our Business page since we usually use for our elSue meetings with the Hangout feature, and share posts or post items of interest. We use our G+ Personal pages more because it's easier to get people to join your circles or follow you or them. It's hard to get people to join our Business Page, easy to get them to join or follow us on our personal pages. Always some type of barrier for local businesses and I'm not sure why Google looks doesn't really want to support Service Area Businesses. We are the one that promote and support their products.

That's my 2 cents for today!

Susan

Recently, when I tried to make an edit on our business profile page, it prompted me to verify the page even though we are considered a service based area business that they don't want you to merge. It's crazy, so we are waiting for the postcard in the mail and going to see what happens.

I don't want to merge the G+ Business and G+ Local page for fear it will mess up our G+ Local page. Should we do nothing and wait?

Yep Susan, that's the catch 22 part.

YOU CAN'T verify. It can cause you to get suspended or deleted. So don't enter the pin.

But again Jade seems to think you CAN edit the page. It's just the messaging is off and make it sound like you can?t BUT what the messaging means is just that your edits won't show in search or maps since it's only a G+ page.

Can you do me a favor? Try to do a minor edit. Like a couple words in description. Then log out or view from diff account and see if your changes show up live. If so, then we'll know it's just convoluted messaging.

Hi Linda,

Jade was correct. I made a minor change in our description, logged out and viewed our Google+ page and the change I made was there right away.

We won't enter the pin. Your Forum is great!

Thanks so much and let me know if there's anything else you want me to test.

Susan

AWESOME! Great to hear and thanks for confirming Susan!

​I'll have some time to test this out tomorrow, I hope. Just wanted to say thanks for the great response. I'll let you know how it turns out :)

Ok, with my particular listing, changes in the description field were not live right away and my ability to add a links list has been removed.

I've been asking my team to create "organization" G+ Business Pages now, and that seems to have given us a workaround for now. I just want to keep using a business-centered social page without having to worry about future merges, so I may just keep doing this as a rule, even if they fix things.

Thanks for the update.

Keep in mind the downside to that strategy is you can't switch an "organization" page to a local page. So once things improve and if they want to merge the + page that has all their posts and circles with their G+ Local page with reviews, they won't be able to.

So they will have invested all that energy building social on an "organization" page that will remain a stand alone page. (Unless some day Google offers a conversion or merge path between brand and local pages.)

Good point, and one I had considered.

I'm choosing to go this way because G+ Local, in all forms past and present, have been buggy and unreliable. It's bad enough reviews can go at any moment, I am thinking that keeping social separate would be safer. Personally, I wouldn't WANT my social and local listings merged... ever. Of course, I give clients the option, but 99% of the people I work with are like me and would rather not bother with all the hassle.

I would only reconsider if one day we learn that the social activity on the local listing made a big different in ranking. I can't see it getting any more important than reviews in the foreseeable future, and in most cases, review count doesn't mean much. It's a far better use of energy focusing on the other local ranking factors.

Agree.

The other thing I think though is that the AVERAGE SMB, especially SAB is not really social all that much. They may THINK they should or they may have a consultant TELLING THEM they should.

But I bet in most cases if a consultant just said: "You know to do it the ultimate way it's going to work best for you in the long run, is still a little buggy. I recommend waiting a bit till Google works out the kinks."

If I still had clients that's what I would say. (Again depending on the situation.)

I think it may be preferable to having them get ticked if 9 months from now they have 80 posts and 2000 in circles and WANT to merge, only to find out their page was set up wrong and merging everything together is not even an option.

But again that advice or opinion, is primarily with a low tech SABs in mind. Maybe different story with a tech savvy or attorney who IS really into social and "gets" it - to the point that you can explain all the pros and cons and let them chose, with eyes wide open.

I just think the majority of SABs are not really into social unless pushed into it by marketers and would be best served waiting til the dust settles on all this.

I agree 100% that most don't get social anyway... so what am I worried about? LOL

I guess I just like having the option :cool: Right now, I'm thinking more about having the ability to create the link list and edit descriptions, images, etc. as I want. I don't like being boxed in with the way the local business pages are working right now :mad:

First of all, thank you for this blog... it is really appreciated!

So, if i'm understanding you correctly...

I should not spend too much time working on my google+ business page (https://plus.google.com/u/0/100477908063611595995/posts)- which right now is strictly social, and will not help out with seo, but should wait to see what google decides to allow us to do with regards to combining both "local" and google+ "business page".

My google places listing has created a "local" listing (https://plus.google.com/u/0/102486537112512144733/about)- which looks like a google+ page, but doesn't have the same customization and social aspects. From what I understand, this is the important listing for my business as far as customers finding my business locally. Unfortunately, what I update in the places dashboard (ie. videos, etc) doesn't update to the "local" listing right now. Is that normal??

So... I should just wait... right??

Thanks!

Ryan
Window Cleaning & Washing, Sunscreens & Solar Panel Cleaning - Phoenix, East Valley & Surrounding Areas - Olsen Brothers (480) 626-8649 ‹ Arizona's Premiere Window Cleaning Company!

Agree.

The other thing I think though is that the AVERAGE SMB, especially SAB is not really social all that much. They may THINK they should or they may have a consultant TELLING THEM they should.

But I bet in most cases if a consultant just said: "You know to do it the ultimate way it's going to work best for you in the long run, is still a little buggy. I recommend waiting a bit till Google works out the kinks."

If I still had clients that's what I would say. (Again depending on the situation.)

I think it may be preferable to having them get ticked if 9 months from now they have 80 posts and 2000 in circles and WANT to merge, only to find out their page was set up wrong and merging everything together is not even an option.

But again that advice or opinion, is primarily with a low tech SABs in mind. Maybe different story with a tech savvy or attorney who IS really into social and "gets" it - to the point that you can explain all the pros and cons and let them chose, with eyes wide open.

I just think the majority of SABs are not really into social unless pushed into it by marketers and would be best served waiting til the dust settles on all this.

Yes, that is my local listing. I guess I will just wait then. I'm glad to know that this is a "real" issue, and not something I am doing wrong!

Thank you for your quick reply. As far as this local listing goes, is there a way to upload videos, pics, etc from the google place dashboard?

Thanks again!

Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:
Your listing already has nice images. If you upload new ones they can take 4 - 6 weeks to show up. Videos currently don't work in Places and have not for months now.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom