MrAllStar

Reaction score
Can someone explain the google review system to me? I had one jerk give me a 1/5 rating who I don't know, and now I got 2 new ratings of 5/5, yet my Google Review shows 1/5 stars. Does this update? I'm having trouble getting business when people see 1/5 review. It's been like this for a week now. I would think my stars should be at 3/5.

Thank you

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Can someone explain the google review system to me? I had one jerk give me a 1/5 rating who I don't know, and now I got 2 new ratings of 5/5, yet my Google Review shows 1/5 stars. Does this update? I'm having trouble getting business when people see 1/5 review. It's been like this for a week now. I would think my stars should be at 3/5.

Thank you.

That's not normal behavior for Google I don't believe.

Do you have a link for us to look at?

MrAllStar

Reaction score
Thankfully I was able to find out that it appears to be a bug, and my reviews are in a stuck state. I have to get google to fix this internally. Very odd!

schemjo

Reaction score
I had this same question after a competitor left a fake review. This was Google's response:

I would like to inform that star rating is the overall rating of the business page which is influenced not only by 5 star reviews but the other factors like how well you optimize your business page, how often do you reply to the reviews, number of followers, updates on search result, crawling of your business page on Google and views your business page gets. It also depends upon the reviews posted by your customers on third party platforms from where Google collects its data. One more factor these algorithms consider is the accuracy of the business information and the richness of the content associated with the business.
I will advise you to ask more satisfied customer whom you have served to post their feedback on your business page. The more positive feedback you get, there'll be more chances of your review average getting improved. Do promote your Business Page on the third party websites like: Facebook, Twitter, Yelp etc. It'll also help you to boost your review average on third party website from where Google may be collecting its data. Let me know if you have any more doubts, I'll be more than happy to clarify.

MrAllStar

Reaction score
Google left me some response about their "formula", didn't help at all! I have 5 reviews with 5 stars! and 1 fake 1 star review. My google review ranking is still 1.0/5.0, how is this possible? I'm not impressed with Google. Right now I'm pushing to have someone higher up look into this. Everytime someone looks at my page, I lose business if they see a 1 star rating.

Margaret Ornsby

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
@MrAllStar
When you say you're pushing to have someone "higher" look into this - what do you mean?

I'm asking because if I report this as a possible bug, I want to be sure I'm not crossing over with a colleague.

@MrAllStar & @schemjo - Can you provide me a business name & address where this is happening?

schemjo

Reaction score
They sent me that message last week so it's fairly recent.

bknapp

Reaction score
I have had exactly the same thing happen. Now have 3 reviews. 1 x bogus 1 star review and 2 x 5 star reviews but only showing 1 star. If you found a solution would you mind sharing it with me. Thanks!

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

The average rating does not update in real time. So if you have a 1-star review and then get a few 5-star reviews, your average rating will still display low for several days.

It generally takes 3-7 days for the average rating to update once you get new reviews.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Y One of my rivals bought 5 stars 100 spam reviews in 2 weeks Google does not care Google My Business & Google Maps 1
D Do google punish google my businesses with only 5 star reviews? Recycle Bin 1
Y Do google punish google my businesses with only 5 star reviews? Help & Support for Google Local 6
djbaxter Local U 2019: Map Spam, Review Stars, Google Winning, Yelp Losing, and Joy Hawkins Local Search 0
M How do you get the Google Reviews Stars to stick? Local Search 18
R Bogus One-Star Google Review? Local Reviews 5
JoyHawkins 4-Star Fake Review Issue - Over 2.3 Million Fake Ratings on Google Local Reviews 32
KevinJr Can You Get a 5-Star Average on Google with Negative Reviews? Local Reviews 9
S Review stars in Google Organic: How is it Done? Local Reviews 29
Eric Marshall Google Showing Stars for 3/4 Reviews Local Reviews 18
Conor Treacy Green Stars for Reviews in Google (while not logged in) Local Search 2
Tim Colling Google SAB map marker with review star Local Search 3
Linda Buquet NO Reviews or Stars In The New Local 3 Pack - Yet Another Google Test? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
B Have 5* Google Reviews but Star Ratings Do Not Appear Local Search 4
Linda Buquet Oh My Stars! Are Google Review Stars Changing Colors? Local Reviews 13
Dustybones Missing "Review Stars" in Google SERPS Local Search 2
Travis Van Slooten 4 Reviews Gets You Stars Now on Google+ Local? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
JoyHawkins Review Stars Not Showing in Google Search Organic SEO 2
Linda Buquet Google Review Stars Back in the SERPs - Spotted in the Wild - Testing 123 Launch! Google My Business & Google Maps 20
Linda Buquet Massive Google Local Updates, Review Stars are Back & Tons More Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Linda Buquet Google Local Update - Review STARS Coming Back? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Phil Rozek Google Maps reviews get "New" label for reviews less than 1 month old Local Reviews 5
harmony How Does Google Choose Service Options in a Review? Local Reviews 6
abbiebeltran Google Reviews Now Have 'Service-Testimonial-Tags' at the Top Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 4
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
M Google rule for collecting reviews from a dedicated tablet inside a store ? Local Reviews 8
R Facebook reviews dropped to 0; Google filtering reviews temporarily? Local Reviews 2
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Review Schema Mark up and Google My Business Reviews Local Search 4
djbaxter How to Delete a Google Review Local Reviews 1
NevenaIvanova Review replies disappeared from Google Google My Business & Google Maps 9
nathangdavidson Anyone using Google's Marketing Kit tool to promote reviews? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
h.ottenhausen Google Reviews on Website (SABs) Service Area Businesses 0
mihir23192 What could have caused the sudden jump in Number of Google Reviews? 50 to 3500 Help & Support for Google Local 2
hollykaufman Google Review Responses Missing Local Reviews 2
Danish Blackmail Review (Asking money to remove it) | Google support does not wish to take it down Local Reviews 2
rickvidallon Google Not Updating Number of Reviews Local Reviews 2
kathleen.rhodes DUP Any news on Google resuming GMB Reviews? Recycle Bin 0
Jac Delay notice on new Google review is removed Local Reviews 0
Jac Any news on Google resuming GMB Reviews? Local Reviews 62
keyserholiday New Google reviews are working Local Reviews 3
M Multiple reviews changed to “A Google User” Help & Support for Google Local 2
keyserholiday Google review replies are working again. Local Reviews 6
nathangdavidson Asking clients to use specific words in Google reviews, against guidelines? Local Reviews 2
JoyHawkins Google suspends reviews and Q&A for Covid-19 Google News: Important Changes & Features 27
FriarTuck00 Big Jump in Number of Google Reviews - Why? Local Reviews 3
P WP Plugins to display reviews from Google no longer work due to API keys issues Websites, Software, and Security 4
D Do you need a Google account to leave a review? Local Reviews 8
J Fake Google Reviews How To Report The Most Effective Way? Spam on Google 1
Michael Charvet Google Dropping Reviews for Education Institutions? Local Reviews 2