Erin Adams

Reaction score
Should lawyers utilize the service area option on their Google listings?

They can do house visits but also have an office where clients can come to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi Erin,

Sure, just make sure to check the box "I serve customers at my business address" in addition to checking "<label id=":9t.lbl" class="bw">My business has service areas where I visit customers at their location"

Don't set your service area too wide, try and keep it under 20 miles as it has been suspected of diluting ranking if set to wide.</label>

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I agree with Colan, it's allowed and not prohibited.

HOWEVER my paranoid alter ego that deals with Google local problems all day long wants me to paint another side of the picture.

1st I have to ask WHY? There is usually not any good reason to do it that way.

Google has a bias against service area businesses. (Hundreds of thousands of service area businesses were deleted at one point.)

PLUS IMO the Google algo almost always paints with a broad brush. Attorneys normally don't set service area and almost always see clients at their office. Sure they'll go out and meet a client but that's not the norm. The algo gets confused sometimes or a red flag is tripped so why even risk it unless there is a good reason.

Additionally attorneys are under HEAVY scrutiny because so many of them break the rules and set up secondary locations that are not valid and violate the guidelines. Then their whole account gets suspended. SOME of them try to get around it by trying to set up service areas.

One of the things I always teach is learn to think like Google, identify patterns the spammers and problem listings use and avoid them.

If there was any upside at all, maybe consider it but I don't see a good reason.

SOME want to set service area thinking then they can rank in the other towns in the service area. It does not work that way and won't help you rank in other cities at all.

The other big thing is the average consumer does not search on maps. They search on Google. Service area does not show up there. Service area also does not show up on the G+ L page.

Even IF a consumer finds you on maps, most have no idea the show service areas feature exists or do not even know what it is. And even if they used it once on a carpet cleaner, they would not think to use it on an attorney listing.

I just don't think any consumers would see it. It would not help anything at all and could possibly cause problems. So it's not the place to even address it. If it's some unique feature they offer that no one else does, then put "We'll come to you on the web site and in the description."

My paranoid alter ego feels better now. Thank you for listening. :eek:

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
U Google showing location of Service Area Business Service Area Businesses 2
Caroline S 1 Service Area Business, 10 Listings, Several Redressals Reported, No Action From Google - Help! Help & Support for Google Local 7
berto When did Google My Business start using MSA metro for service areas? Service Area Businesses 2
U Google Classes Cyrprus as a Service Area for UK Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Oliver Keates Changing The GMB Service area radius on Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 7
JoyHawkins Google Launches New Sign Up Process For Service Area Businesses Service Area Businesses 11
Tim Colling Huge Change for Service Area Businesses in Google My Business Service Area Businesses 129
A Google My Business - Service Area Towns Local Search 9
S Google map Service Area Not location Google My Business & Google Maps 5
L Google Local SEO for Service Area Businesses via Joy Hawkins @Moz Service Area Businesses 6
Linda Buquet Google Local SEO for Service Area Businesses via Joy Hawkins @Moz Service Area Businesses 6
FriarTuck00 Service Area Business Not Showing on Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Linda Buquet Service Area Businesses with Hidden Address Missing from Google Search Map? Google My Business & Google Maps 39
Linda Buquet Hide your Address on Google Local - New Warning for Service Area Businesses Google My Business & Google Maps 20
Margaret Ornsby Google shutting down service area business listings Google My Business & Google Maps 16
C Is there a way to verify service area google plus business page yet? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Susan Walsh New Google+ Local (formally Places) Dashboard for Service Area Businesses too? Google Local 101 6
J Google + Local Address for Service Area Business Showing up Incorrect Service Area Businesses 1
J Google + Local Address for Service Area Business Showing up Incorrect Service Area Businesses 1
L Service Area Business DELETED - Google+ Local Support Saga Proves My Points Service Area Businesses 1
Linda Buquet Service Area Business DELETED - Google+ Local Support Saga Proves My Points Service Area Businesses 1
Susan Walsh Service Area Business - Has Google's Guideline Recently Changed? Help & Support for Google Local 3
M Google Local Services Ads - Lack of Leads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
harmony How Does Google Choose Service Options in a Review? Local Reviews 6
abbiebeltran Google Reviews Now Have 'Service-Testimonial-Tags' at the Top Local Reviews 1
K Google & Google Users Removing Items From Service Menu Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Colan Nielsen NEW Google My Business is Testing "Services" Justifications Google News: Important Changes & Features 6
djbaxter Google services down Dec 14, 2020: Google Ads, Google Analytics, Search Console, more Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
JoyHawkins Are Local Services Ads Stealing Clicks from Google My Business? A Case Study of 110 Listings Paid Search and Local Service Ads 0
M Decreased traffic to Google maps due to local service ads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
NexstarNickR Google Local Service Ads: Price Increases due to Bidding Rollout Paid Search and Local Service Ads 3
Adam C. Google Local Services Ads Management / Setup Paid Search and Local Service Ads 13
djbaxter Google Allows a Custom List of Services to GMB Listings Service Area Businesses 14
JoyHawkins New Service to Help Correct Malicious Edits on Google My Business Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 33
eshad GMB Services on Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Colan Nielsen Google My Business Management Service from Whitespark LSF News and Announcements 15
JoyHawkins New Services Options in the Google My Business Dashboard Google News: Important Changes & Features 53
Tim Colling Google wiped services - per Margaret Ormsby on Twitter Google My Business & Google Maps 4
C Google Seller Ratings and Service Businesses? Local Reviews 4
R Free Webinar: Google Local Service Ads with Tom Waddington Events 1
Dan Foland Google Officially Announces 'Local Service Businesses' Improvements Service Area Businesses 6
Garrett Sussman How to Create the Perfect Home Services Listing on Google, Angie's List, and Home Adv Local Reviews 3
Colan Nielsen Companies Offering Google Posts as a Service Google My Business & Google Maps 11
O Google Local Services Google My Business & Google Maps 11
Kyrton Google Home Services vs PPC Paid Search and Local Service Ads 14
Linda Buquet Google Local Service Ads Expanding + Great insights from @mblumenthal & @davidmih Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
bhartzer Google My Business Posts Service Local Search 4
James Watt Google Home Service Ads expands industries and comes to the East Coast Paid Search and Local Service Ads 9
Garrett Sussman What is the Google Home Service Ads Program? Local Reviews 6
G How do clients search for services (what do they usually type in google to find you) Consultant's Corner 1