More threads by Lanerizz

Lanerizz

Reaction score
Is anyone else getting reports of or seeing the Google Short Name Review Link sending people to the Google My Business login screen instead of the profile? Client is saying him and two other people in his office get that. I can't replicate.

It can't be as easy as them not being logged into Google is it? That would seem like a usability issue in itself as its hard to imagine all customers being logged into Google when they click it.

Any help appreciated.

Have they tried clearing their caches or using different browsers/devices? Would you be comfortable sharing the URL involved with us so we can try it here?

It displays for me but I'm always logged in to my Google account. They've become like Microsoft - they want you to log in for almost anything theswe days.

Even though your link says "Sign in - Google Accounts" it took me straight to the business listing, and like DJ I am always logged in. So it must be a "not logged in" deal for the ones being taken to a sign-in page.

Still, I think this thread (and @Lanerizz) highlights an important issue:

If we are giving out the short link as a way of encouraging reviews, if people tap that link on a mobile device and get the "please sign in" message, what is most likely to happen? Will they log in? or will they just say skip it?

Thank you @djbaxter that was my thought as well. Seems like poor user experience. Would prefer they still get to the page...

Maybe we should be using the old style links. Not sure if they require logging into Google or not.

Try this:

I might also give that a try tomorrow...

I finally got around to testing this.

As above, if you use the Google Shortcode, you cannot leave a review unless you log in with your Google account. All you get is the login page.

Now, if you log in using the old placesid format for reviews

Code:
https://search.google.com/local/writereview?placeid=ChIJrTLr-GyuEmsRBfy61i59si0

you go first to the Google listing and THEN you get a popup asking you to log in with your Google account.

You can click Cancel on that popup but you still can't leave a review without signing in.

So it appears, unfortunately, that there is no way around it. If your client/customer doesn't have a Google account or doesn't want to log in, they can't leave a review.

Does anyone know of any way for someone without a Google account to leave a review?

Hi @djbaxter - there isn't one.
And frankly, I think it's a good thing given the amount of spam reviewers that are already on the platform.

I urge business owners to give reviewers a choice of links - trying to force people onto Google, FB or Yelp when they don't have an account is off-putting.

Also gives you a chance for customers to leave a review on the business's website. Those are reviews you have 100% control over, and no platform can arbitrarily take them away (or lose them).

Thanks, @Margaret Ornsby. Most do that already (reviews on the website) but of course that doesn't translate into Google reviews in searches. :(

Sorry. What does that mean?

Sorry maybe I misunderstood you seemed a little down on website reviews.
If you want to have review stars show up in your SERPs related to a product or service you need to have those reviews gathered from your website and not from another party like facebook reviews or google reviews
I guess that is besides the point perhaps.. Sorry (learning canadian)
google-local-serps-stars.png

No no... I'm not down on reviews at all. My point was that Google reviews are shown by Google when you search for a business. Reviews you gather on your own site are not.

I'm also not against collecting reviews on your own site (and then are a few plugins that make this easy) but reviews have more impact for new or potential customers if they see them in Google's search results. That's my concern about the Google review links requiring a Google account. I work mainly with small businesses and they often don't have either the time or the technical knowledge to bother setting up a Google account or even logging in with their Google account.

No no... I'm not down on reviews at all. My point was that Google reviews are shown by Google when you search for a business. Reviews you gather on your own site are not.

I'm also not against collecting reviews on your own site (and then are a few plugins that make this easy) but reviews have more impact for new or potential customers if they see them in Google's search results. That's my concern about the Google review links requiring a Google account. I work mainly with small businesses and they often don't have either the time or the technical knowledge to bother setting up a Google account or even logging in with their Google account.

Gotcha!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom