More threads by Brian - TGL

Brian - TGL

Reaction score
I have always wondered why there is often a discrepancy between what is shown in the description of a hotel/motel (in this case 3-star hotel):

Where the Google reviews show the average rating at 4.6:

Solution
Hey @Brian - TGL, I think you may be comparing apples to oranges. Based on your pics, you are pointing to the review rating which is 4.6 stars. The 3-Star hotel "label" is the category of the hotel which is based on the amenities. For example, a roadside motel will not have the same amenities as a full-service Hilton. In theory the motel may have a 5-star review but only have a 3-star category, while the Hilton may have a 3.9 star review but labeled as a 5-Star category of lodging. This article sums it up pretty well. Hope this is helpful!
Hey @Brian - TGL, I think you may be comparing apples to oranges. Based on your pics, you are pointing to the review rating which is 4.6 stars. The 3-Star hotel "label" is the category of the hotel which is based on the amenities. For example, a roadside motel will not have the same amenities as a full-service Hilton. In theory the motel may have a 5-star review but only have a 3-star category, while the Hilton may have a 3.9 star review but labeled as a 5-Star category of lodging. This article sums it up pretty well. Hope this is helpful!

Solution

I learned something new and I have been a Google Maps user for over a decade. I always assumed the lower star was somehow an aggregated average among various booking platforms.

I had no idea the "Star Rating" was in relation to the amenities of the location:

I have always assumed that a 1 and 2-star rated hotel/motel meant places that were run terribly and/or run down.

I'm guessing I'm not the only person who didn't understand that . . . it seems like something that could indicated much more clearly by Google to give more accurate information to users.

The circle with a question mark right next to the rating that clearly shows how Google assigns the ratings for example.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Live Webinar - Local SEO Audits

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom