Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Socal.jpg

Dang wish G+ would let me embed posts from my own community!

How Big an Impact Does Social Media Play in Google Local Results?

That was a question asked by Tom Bristol in our Local Search Pros Community.
And the answers may surprise you!

<a href="https://plus.google.com/+TomBristol1/posts/S3LSgMLvVNw">How big of an impact do you think Social Media plays in Google Local results?</a>

Here are a couple quick excerpts from our VERY knowledgeable members:

David Kutcher
If you visit my profile, check out my pinned post on local search and progressive influence. I believe it can be huge based on personalized search in local, connected markets.

Bryan Heckler
I think it completely depends on who those users are that are sharing/commenting. If they have a strong social profile for the area I certainly think it helps with local relevancy.

Aaron Watters
Awesome topic Tom, I know you tagged #facebook but we're doing a small case study on Google+ Local posting frequency and looking for correlation with higher map rankings.

Eric from Stone Temple recently put out this post regarding Twitter links - https://www.stonetemple.com/tweeting-a-link-to-a-page-might-get-it-indexed/. We oftentimes share new links via social that we want to get indexed quicker.

Tom Bristol
Does anyone know of an easy way to inspect the actual Page Social Metrics from Open Site Explorer?

Those are just a few snippets. Click over to read the full thread.

What do you think???

Feel free to add your insights HERE or THERE!

(I'm trying to cross pollinate all the great info from both communities, because not everyone has time to read both every day.)

<meta property="og:type" content="article"><meta property="og:title" content=""><meta property="og:description" content="That was a question asked by Tom Bristol in our Local Search Pros Google Community - And the answers may surprise you!">
<meta property="og:image" content="">

Socal.jpg

heckler

Reaction score
As per a recent article I wrote, SEO firms tend to overstate the impact of social.
Personalized results and people that are actively engaged with you are outliers.

SEO Firms Overstate the Longevity of Social Media?|?Rapid News Network

I don't doubt some agencies overstate the importance of Social, but that doesn't change the fact that we can influence searches directly through social strategies (Google Plus circles, passive advertisement from engagements like commenting, sharing and liking). I would argue that more often than not they're not being overstated, but executed poorly.

Screen-Shot-2013-04-01-at-10.41.17-AM.jpg
Comscore circa 2013

When you really start digging into these social networks, the outliers that you cite are the people your strategies should be targeting specifically. Typically they're the influencers that decide whether or not your local-social strategy will work.

Granted, that's easier said than done for some segments (namely blue-collar ones), but IMO anyone worth their salt is keeping an eye on Facebook's local search roll-out (which according to that Rain-man Zuckerberg will be ratcheting up over the next 2-3 years).

Screen-Shot-2013-04-01-at-10.41.17-AM.jpg

JacobMaslow

Reaction score
Actually, I wrote an article about targeting influencers earlier today. Facebook should have that technology out shortly.

Facebook Patent Allows Advertising Only to Important People

In any event, if you are doing local for a client, Social should definitely be a part of the mix. We have close to 400 local optometry clients so we are able to have a social media and graphics team. As that is all the team does, they are able to concentrate on it.

Facebook has a couple of things coming out for local so over the long run, it will payoff. But my point is that if you were to focus on social expecting your SEO to be affected, you are going to be disappointed.

Social shares cannot replace links. And personalization is not going to bring you significant traffic.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Professor M Google Maps and Google My Business Big Changes - Google Maps Local News Feed Google My Business & Google Maps 26
A Big Issue with Google Map Rankings For Everyone Local Search 9
Matthew Summers Anyone else see a big change in "blue links" rankings starting around 5.26.20? Google Algorithm Discussions 0
FriarTuck00 Big Jump in Number of Google Reviews - Why? Local Reviews 3
L Big Drop in the number of new reviews made by customers Local Reviews 1
MarianoF Trending [November 5, 2019 Local Algorithm Update] Unexplained big drops in GMB rankings Google Algorithm Discussions 216
valentinb13 Big jump in campaign sessions after site relaunch Local Search 6
eshad Seen a big drop in views on GMB insights? Local Search 19
vinchenson Changed to SAB and Traffic Dropped Big Time Recycle Bin 0
ForwardMotion Changed to SAB and Traffic Dropped Big Time Service Area Businesses 26
JoyHawkins BBB Makes Big Change to Review Display Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Google: Duplicate meta descriptions no big deal Organic SEO 0
G How do the big SEO firms achieve results so fast and economical for clients? Local Search 16
H Still Grappling with the BIG change in 301 redirect rules. . . Local Search 9
Marcus Sudden big drop in ranking Local Search 13
Gsmithmike Is Google messing with Search Results Big Time? Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Tim Colling Big news for me Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 10
J My ranking suddenly dropped big Google My Business & Google Maps 4
C Criteria For Some Businesses Getting the Big Red Marker? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Ajay Prasad A big hello from California! This is Ajay. Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 6
JoyHawkins A Big Marketing Opportunity Most SMBs & Local Consultants Miss Local Search 9
Linda Buquet Hey Big Spender! What Industries Spend the Most on Local Search + Get the Best Return Local Search 3
Linda Buquet Best of Local @ the Local Search Forum: The Big 2014 Countdown Local Search 8
Linda Buquet Pigeon Factors - 5,000 Page Case Study and a Big Takeaway Google My Business & Google Maps 11
mattramos Anybody else see a big decrease in views on July 2nd? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
S Client with a BIG problem hope you can help Help & Support for Google Local 13
Linda Buquet Big List of Local SEO Tools Local SEO Tools & Software 4
Linda Buquet Why ?Barnacle SEO? Is Making A Big Comeback In Local - David Mihm Local Search 3
RobinOctane What Would You Do? Leased Location vs Home Office, Big 3 vs Google Local Search 7
D Big Problems Using &'s in Business Name? Local Search 7
Linda Buquet Big List Citation Building Strategies Citations 12
D Hyper local media goes viral and may turn a disaster into a big long term positive Mobile & Social 1
B Are Google+Local Pages Stuck with the Big Map? Help & Support for Google Local 2
Linda Buquet BIG New Problem? Businesses Getting MOVED by Mistake? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Linda Buquet Google+ Local CODE FREEZE? Big Update Coming? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Linda Buquet Big Google Local Data Problems - Possible Solutions Local Search 0
C Working With Big Brand Insurance Agent Help & Support for Google Local 11
R big and tall seattle mariners Recycle Bin 0
rich_marlatt Do the number of backlinks from a domain have any impact on local SEO? Local Search 2
Colan Nielsen Top 10 Changes That Impacted Google My Business in 2020 Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Colan Nielsen Top 10 Changes That Impacted Google My Business in 2020 Google My Business & Google Maps 0
P Replying to All GMB Reviews: Rank Impact? Local Reviews 8
djbaxter 4 Google My Business Fields That Impact Ranking (and 3 That Don't) Google My Business & Google Maps 16
J Local Service Ads (LSA) impact on GMB calls? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
A Will posting too often negatively impact GMB ranking? Local Search 6
djbaxter Google: Moz Spam Score, Domain Authority Does Not Impact Google Rankings Organic SEO 1
S Site health impact on individual pages ranking? Local Search 2
Norbert Z. GMB owner - impact on positions? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Chris Ratchford COVID-19's impact on your business Member Hangouts [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 8
EmilyW GMB By Appointment Only: how to reflect COVID-19 impacted hours Google My Business & Google Maps 10