More threads by ABran

ABran

Reaction score
I am interested to hear if you have seen any impact (positive, neutral or negative) from the June Core Update.
I have a few listings which have had a hit... I'm trying to understand if this is the update or something else.

I just looked at one that had quite a bit of movement on June 8th. Organically, they had massive increases but locally they dropped out of the 3-pack for quite a few terms. The main pattern I saw was that the business name having keywords didn't matter as much as before and that businesses with tons of reviews were appearing instead.

Hi Joy, I was going to post this in another forum but I think what I'm observing may also be related to the June/July updates. The Toronto service area business GMB I work on (with no address) was top 3 for the past year for almost all money keywords and geomodifier based keyword phrases.

Since June, however, I've seen a steady drop in map ranking from top 3 to now position 15 to 20 for the same keyword phrases. The only things changed were more local links pointing to the business (which have never hurt in the past) and more regular GMB posts than used to be done.

The only explanation I can think of is that the June/July core updates have hurt SABs more than address-based businesses. I do notice that the top 7 to 8 ranked businesses in the space all have verified addresses.

Does this make sense to you? Have you seen evidence of this too? Have Google made any sort of statement that SAB businesses may be affected in this way?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.....

I haven't seen any evidence of that thusfar.

What would be the main things to check for a sudden drop in maps ranking for all search terms?

What would be the main things to check for a sudden drop in maps ranking for all search terms?
I would check changes to competitor listings. Did anyone add keywords? Are there any other businesses in your industry at the same address that could cause you to get filtered?

A lot of times if there are zero changes to your listing or website, it's something your competitor did to help increase their ranking that subsequently causes a decrease in yours.

I understand, Joy. Looking at all the data again what i see is that my GMB is now the bottom of 12 listings. Almost all of the listings including those that are ranked the highest use keyword stuffing for the main money/intent keyword phrases right in the GMB title.

I've checked and there are no other competitive businesses at the same address. The only major change I've done though is add more local driven citations to said address. Have you ever seen that have a very negative affect to map ranking?

The only major change I've done though is add more local driven citations to said address. Have you ever seen that have a very negative affect to map ranking?
No I have not.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom