More threads by SabrinaB

SabrinaB

Reaction score
Hi all -

Is there a recommended frequency at which local businesses should update the data aggregators? (How important are the aggregators these days?)

We have a client with a substantial number of locations (around 700-800), so it costs a small fortune to have them updated; however, I've heard that information can revert if not done regularly. I think the last time a push/update was done with the aggregators was 3-4 years ago, and there have definitely been a number of address changes/location merges in that time.

Any guidance you can give is appreciated. I am fairly well-versed in Google, Bing, and, for the most part, Apple Business Connect, but I haven't dealt too much with the aggregators. (Recently, at least. I think the last time I knew what was going on in the world of data aggregation/citations, Acxiom was still an aggregation service.)

Thanks in advance!

My approach has been that aggregators should be used when I start to see issues with multiple citations which would be affected by the aggregators. So, it's "as needed".

But I'd love to hear how other people handle the aggregators.

I only push new locations once, and then never again. Same for NAP changes, if that changes then a single push and never again.

So, basically, only push the locations that have changed? That was my initial thought, as I can't see a reason to do a push otherwise, I just wasn't sure if there were any factors I wasn't considering.

Have you had any experience working with a service to handle a data aggregation push for 100+ locations? Good experiences? Bad experiences? We're currently researching to find someone to assist with the aggregator push and I am trying to be sure we are exploring the best options. Thanks!

two cents

Pushing once to "aggregators" is okay, but not a best practice... Also, one push assumes that nothing about your business location identity (NAPC) or attributes (hours, etc.) will ever change. Aggregators also send out signals regarding 'active management' of locations that are claimed in their respective repositories to publishers. This, among numerous other signals (confidence scoring, etc.), are provided to publishers within the aggregators publishing ecosystem. Publishers use these signals to determine prioritization/weighting of location information when they source from multiple aggregators/data sources... most, if not all, large online publisher multi-source location information. Additionally, if aggregators are pushing data for a listing that is not from you (a first party source), you will want to ensure at a min that if the aggregator has a listing for the business, that it has correct info so that data fragmentation does not negatively impact your listing in the future. I.e. different publishers showing contradictory attribute information, google updates that keep arising, AI tools referencing long tail search results with incorrect listing data, etc.

Hand up, I work at one.

Last edited:

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

Events

LocalU Webinar

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom