More threads by Linda Buquet

Thanks Colan,

I'm trying to get a better understanding on how Bright Local's tool works (as an example) and what it's actually looking for. Is it safe to assume that their Google+Local Wizard tool isn't that accurate? Or is there something else that they're pulling from?

I would say that the wizard tool is pretty accurate, but I don't think it's possible at this point for it to be 100% accurate because Google simply doesn't indicate if a regular Google+ Local page is verified.

If I remember correctly, Myles said that it tracks the verified check-mark on merged listings, and if it's a regular Google+ Local page it bases it on whether or not there is a business description and photos, or something like that.

I have two listings I'm trying to see whether or not they're claimed. When I click Manage this Page, both go to a "Let's Get Started" page.

Both have the name, address, phone, and a single category. Put one also has the customer's website URL. Is Goggle including these on unclaimed listings?

Unverified Listing.jpg

John, the screenshot attached is normally what you'll see when you hit "manage this page" on a non-verified listing. What you are describing sounds slightly different, could you maybe list a screenshot?

Unverified Listing.jpg

Thanks Joy, but note that for me at least that trick does not work for me any more in FF, I have to switch to Chrome to see it.

Leaving office but if you give city or link to both listings on maps I'll check when I get back tonight.

John,

Joy's trick works well, but it looks like the reason you are seeing the screen you showed us is because that must be a new Google Account with the new Google Places Dashboard.

So, what you could do is try claiming each listing in the new dashboard and if the listing IS claimed somewhere else you should be presented with a pop-up indicating that it's claimed elsewhere.

already claimed message.png

I THINK that message only appears if the other account that has claimed the listing is also the new dashboard...not 100% sure though.

already claimed message.png

Short note here

Colan, in my experience, that message (or at least a very similar one) will still come up if the listing has been claimed on the Old Dashboard.

Tried to edit my last post, but missed the 15 minute mark :)

I just tested it on a listing that's currently claimed on the old dashboard and it gave me that same message.

Could it be based on how long it's been since the listing has been edited/updated? I remember hearing before that if listings haven't been updated in a year then they can be claimed as normal.

Could it be based on how long it's been since the listing has been edited/updated? I remember hearing before that if listings haven't been updated in a year then they can be claimed as normal.

Very interesting Matt!

All the ones I tested it on were active old dashboards.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom