Mike Wilton

Reaction score
So I have a client who has a number of branches across the state, but they also have various corporate offices throughout the state as well. In some instances there are both a branch and a corporate office in the same city.

The problem they are having is that since the name of the company is basically the same, some people are calling the corporate office instead of the branch when they need service.

Is there an effective means of handing this? Would Google frown upon putting "Corporate Office" in the business name? Anyone have any thoughts, or dealt with this before?

Scott Rawlins

Solutions
Reaction score
Not really sure of the ramifications yet, but since Google is allowing 1 descriptor word, how about "Corporate Name - Location"? Or something else that works for you to differentiate the offices. I have not heard from others about their results or how it effects citations if they did change it.

Read this thread about the Guideline Change

Broland

Reaction score
Yea what Rawly said would probably be a decent solution. As long as you append an identifier to the business name and and don't prepend anything to it, you shouldn't run into any problems with identifying NAP data.

Also adding info in places like the description sections of listings with 'sales office: (phone)' and 'corporate office: (phone)' could help. Or just a secondary labeled number to help direct calls, although you want to be careful not to get data mixed up between locations so perhaps even links between them: For our sales office click here.

With the set up you described they will likely always have some customer confusion on what number to call, so having a good quick answering and call routing system/method in place would probably be important for them. At least they are calling the right business and not the competitors.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B Negative Effects Changing GMB Name? Moving or Name Changes 1
D Effect of name variation on page rank NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
D Effect of name variation on page rank NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
L Does selecting a service area for hidden address business have negative effects? Moving or Name Changes 1
A Pointing SEO friendly domain to old domain and its effect on GMB ranking? Local Search 4
Ben Walsh Haro - are people still using it effectively in 2020? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
LocalSEODat Using UTM for GMB link to website. Does that mess w/ citation matching, rankings or anything negative effect? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
V Local Services Ad: Does using a different phone number in local services ad effect the organic ranking for my site Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
Jen Currier Post Card Verification for Businesses effected by Covid-19 Help & Support for Google Local 1
J Fake Google Reviews How To Report The Most Effective Way? Spam on Google 1
djbaxter California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) takes effect on January 1, 2020 Websites, Software, and Security 2
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Custom Map Creation and Their Effects on Ranking Google Local 101 3
A Suspension Having Ranking Effects? Help & Support for Google Local 6
S Schema: part 1. Is schema code effective when inserted into the body of a page, not into a header Multi-Location Issues 2
liorenda Possible Effect of the Medic Update Local Search 1
P Broadband provider blocks wordpress site: Effect on SEO / local search? Local Search 2
juliaannCA How will voice search effect local search Recycle Bin 4
JoshuaMackens How will voice search effect local search Local Search 12
Garrett Sussman The Effectiveness of Email Marketing Versus SMS Marketing Local Reviews 7
djbaxter What Type of Content Is Most Effective for Attracting Website Traffic? Organic SEO 0
Garrett Sussman 3 Insights For Crafting An Effective Review Request Email Drip Campaign Local Reviews 3
gulliver Google Memory Effect? Local Search 0
djbaxter Outgoing Links Have Positive Effects on SEO Organic SEO 0
C Effect of Hiding Address Local Search 13
Conor Treacy Question on 3 Pack and the effects on Home Services businesses. Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
Dustybones Effectively Building Content For Readers Not Algorithms Local Search 2
L Does your presence in Google local pack have an effect on your organic ranking? Local Search 6
mborgelt What is the tipping point for spammy backlinks negatively effecting local rankings? Local Search 8
Ben Walsh Dupe Onsite Service structure for maximum effect in local Recycle Bin 0
Pinkape404 Smart Spending for Effective Results Local Search 7
L Do +1's for Google My Business page have an effect Google My Business & Google Maps 3
F Free Review Request Email Form - Personal & Effective Local SEO Tools & Software 4
Chris Ratchford Looking for an effective REVIEW MANAGEMENT service Local Reviews 24
J Will Phone # On Adwords Effect Rank On Google+ Local? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J Penguin effect on Local? A quick story. Local Search 16
David Fesler Effect of 3rd Party Reviews on Google Local Rankings Local Reviews 17
B Can change URL in Places page effect ranking? Help & Support for Google Local 3
Local Search News Curator Will Citations Stop Being Effective for Local Optimization in the Future? Citations 0
hannahmoen "Work" Replacing Business Name on GMB for Business Owner Help & Support for Google Local 3
BekahBerry Multiple service providers with separate books of business, sharing one office, under one company name - What is the best approach to avoid filtering? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 8
B Rebranding: same services, same team, same address, new name, new URL Moving or Name Changes 9
Matt Chauhan Knowledge Panel Not Appearing for Brand Name Search Google My Business & Google Maps 5
K GMB Adding Old Business Name & Putting True Name in Parathesis Only In English Browser Google My Business & Google Maps 1
J Wrong GMB Listing Appearing when Searching for Physician by Name Google My Business & Google Maps 4
micromano Will changing a business name in GMB cause reviews to be lost? Moving or Name Changes 3
Ryan Steinolfson How do you get the business name to show up next to the map pin? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
G Registering a DBA name as a Search Term Spam on Google 5
Geeman What to do about a GMB that continuously adds the location to their name? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
S Clients Business name now has an "A" in front of all it's YEXT site listings Citations 1
liorenda Icons in GMB name Google My Business & Google Maps 5