Local Search Expert
- Jun 28, 2012
How to embed a Google map of a business listing, has been problematic due to all the Google changes. Even though I've written tons of posts about how to embed a Google map and various workaround, evidently folks still find it a bit of a challenge.
Below is a great thread from our Local Search Pros Google+ Community with a new map embed trick many did not know.
Below the Google+ community posts I share my super easy 3 step way to embed a map - the way I've taught how to embed a map in my Onsite Local Search Training for a long time.
Here's the discussion from our Local Search Pros Community.
Austin Lund kicked things off and Cori Shirk shared a resource many don't know about.
Does anyone know how to embed a Google Map from GMB--not from Maps--so that the review stars, average rating, and number of reviews show up?
Eduard de Boer
Search for the business name PLUS address on Google Maps and get the embed code.
This will show the business with the reviews.
+Austin Lund Also, the map needs to be of certain dimensions, or the stars won't show up. I think it needs to be at least 275px wide, but don't take me to the bank on that
Place mode should do that too: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/embed/guide#place_mode
Wow, good resource +Cori Shirk. Thanks for the share!
Thanks, +Cori Shirk, that's a new one (and a very helpful one!) to me.
Thanks for asking in the first place, +Austin Lund.
1) Get to the G+ Local page - that's the hardest part, the rest is easy.
(If you can't find the G+ page or don't know how to get to it now that Google has removed the links, just ask - we've had lots of posts about it.)
2) Click on the address on the about page. That will take you to that specific listing on Google maps. (Instead of searching and possibly coming up with a dupe.)
3) On the business card on maps, click the 3 lines to the left of the name. Hidden there under Google's subtle UI is a menu. Click "Embed map". Pick your size and preview.
VOILA! Nice looking map with review stars and all! (Like the Googleplex map above.)
WHY Embed from the G+ L page instead of just searching in maps???
1) Sometimes you'll get a dupe and don't realize it. (If you do, customers might leave a review by clicking the map on your site. Then the reviews end up on the wrong listing, fracturing your review profile.)
2) Most importantly, if you embed directly from the G+ L page the all important CID # is embedded right in the code. It's obfuscated from us with Hex code, but Google can read it, which is what counts.
I think it helps Google see that this website connects to THIS SPECIFIC G+ page. In other words helps Google connect the dots. (This is one of 8 of the "Local Hooks" I teach, but I go into much more detail about why this is important.)
Here is the <a href="http://www.localsearchforum.com/advanced-local-search-training/27856-expanded-local-onsite-search-engine-optimization-video-training-course.html">Local Onsite SEO Training Course</a>, for any of you that missed it.
What do you think? Easy, right???
<meta property="og:type" content="article"><meta property="og:title" content=""><meta property="og:description" content="">
<meta property="og:image" content="">