More threads by Mike Pedersen

Reaction score
Is there a resource for finding categories for a specific niche?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's too niche for categories to show in Mike's category tool then it might be too niche for local.

Have you searched for City + Main Keyword - (with location set to that city) to see if Google even shows local for that type of business category?

In the past if it was too niche, you'd have to pick the primary general industry category that was closest and then create a custom category. But custom cats are going away with the new dashboard.

When the category tool doesn't find what I need, I usually will look for high ranking competitiors to see how they are categorized.

Great point! Also do a yellow page search and see if you find some categories or do a Google search and see if any related searches show at bottom of the page.

By the way, has anyone else noticed how cool it is that in the new dashboard you can add more than 5 categories?

Very cool. Like, Bruce Willis in Die Hard cool.

Question: Would you rather?.....

10 categories with no custom cat options

OR

5 categories with custom cat options

Yippee-ki-yay...Mr. Falcon.

OR

I think it totally depends on how many categories Google offers, and how granular they are. I don't foresee Google doing a real good job of making its categories list more robust over time. So for now, I'd rather have my trusty custom categories back.

So if I starting typing in keywords + city and there is no 7-pack, is it not worth going after those keywords?

---------- Post Merged at 06:45 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:43 AM ----------

How do you check to see the categories a competitor has?

If the KWs don't pull local results then no it's not worth taking up one of the precious 5 categories.

Find their G+ Local page, click on edit details, then it will show you all their cats.

OR

I would rather have unlimited standard categories and 1 custom category.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom