JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
I was curious to see if anyone had any tips for queries where the map of results is really zoomed in and your business isn't within the radius. Some of the results I see sometimes for branded queries is really zoomed in. For example, "McDonalds Philadelphia". That map doesn't even come close to representing all of Philadelphia.

whitespark

LocalU Faculty
Reaction score
That's a great idea Joy. I don't have any specific examples, but I'd love to see some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hey Joy!

I assume your question is related to KW search, not branded search right?
You just used a branded search for an example?

Cuz I have tips for a single business for KW search that's outside the radius, but don't know about a branded multi-location chain search like the example you gave.

Off topic, but that McDs example could lead to some ranking clues. If you do a search only 3 locations show up. But there are actually 4 others in that search radius.

So what makes Google like those 3 most? Citations or # of 3rd party reviews maybe? Because some other have more reviews than the 3 Google picked.

The ABC listings I checked don't appear to be claimed and all go to home, so it's not the optimization of the landing page. Also none I checked are upgraded to social, so no posts or anything like that. Wonder about age of locations. Would be curious to know if the ones in the radius that aren't showing are newer locations - that could also mean fewer citations.

Anyway, sorry I got off track but that was an interesting example. Had not thought about looking at a chain like that to find ranking/prominence clues.

Broland

Reaction score
I don't have any examples right now, but I do have experience - in response to the thread title, I think the most important factors to influence/change the map radius are:

# of "citations", mentions, info/text talking about the business
user interaction and user data - clicks to the site, more info, directions, searches for the business
and of course optimizing for that term with on-site SEO​

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Diogo Ordacowski GMB Messages - Now Forcing Setup Through Google Play or App Store Install on mobile phone? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
djbaxter CEO sentenced to prison for attempt to force Google to remove defamatory reviews Local Reviews 4
V Updated address, never showed, called to fix. forced to google+ Disapeared Google My Business & Google Maps 7
KungFuBacklinks Google Plus Business Page - Being FORCED to Verify?? Google My Business & Google Maps 15
Mike Wilton Google+ Local Now Forcing G+ Business Merges? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Travis Van Slooten Google Maps Cash System Forces Your Site Onto Google's First Page! Local Search 12
djbaxter How To Use the new noindex and force redirect custom addon for threads Admin Stuff 0
djbaxter Testing new noindex and force redirect custom addon by TickTackk Admin Stuff 0
djbaxter WordPress: The NoneNone Brute Force Attacks: Currently Active Websites, Software, and Security 0
djbaxter NEW Forcing a link to NOFOLLOW How To Guides 0
Annika Neudecker Microsoft forcing Office ProPlus users to Bing Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
djbaxter Custom BBCode to force nofollow links Local Search Experts Forum 0
Dan Foland Has anyone else been experiencing a rise in Brute Force attacks on WordPress recently? Websites, Software, and Security 4
djbaxter Marked jump in brute force attacks against WordPress sites Organic SEO 0
Lloyd Silver Messy Situation: NAP inconsistencies and a suboptimal forced official website Help & Support for Google Local 2
HurricaneK8 More Toronto condo spam! Help fight the forces of evil! Spam on Google 4
djbaxter Brute Force Attacks Build WordPress Botnet Websites, Software, and Security 2
J Being forced to hide the address of a retail location Service Area Businesses 2
johncrenshaw Being forced to hide the address of a retail location Service Area Businesses 2
S Demand Force and other similar companies Local Reviews 14
Jac Google My business Photos - Uploaded but not reflecting on contribution page Google My Business & Google Maps 1
AndySimpson Google My Business Opening Date - What Date Should You Use? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Lanerizz Google Analytics 4 Organic SEO 1
M Google Local Services Ads - Lack of Leads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 14
rustybrick Google Local ranking update? Google Algorithm Discussions 11
harmony How Does Google Choose Service Options in a Review? Local Reviews 6
abbiebeltran Google Reviews Now Have 'Service-Testimonial-Tags' at the Top Local Reviews 1
Tim Colling I'm getting calls from "Google Maps" at 650-206-5555, asking about clients' hours - are they legit? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
JoshuaMackens Google Posts & Ranking Local Search 10
A Listing suspended due to account manager spamming? Google advise to create new GMB Local Search 13
djbaxter Webinar Get together with Google Search at Search Central Live - February 23, 2021 Events 0
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 2
Professor M Google slapped in France over misleading hotel star ratings Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
D Google Spam Fighting Question Google My Business & Google Maps 6
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
U Google showing location of Service Area Business Service Area Businesses 2
Lluc Google launches Years in Business in Search Google My Business & Google Maps 3
PaulSteinbrueck Average Google rating no longer in Google Knowledge Panel? Local Reviews 8
Professor M Is Google thinking of adding payment capabilities to GMB listings/website? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
NickB-Tampa How can I unsync Google My Business from my Bing Places listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
D Google "Find Results on" Error Local Search 3
F Turkish post: Google My Business local seo Recycle Bin 0
D Google Maps, Years in Business Google My Business & Google Maps 4
H Google COVID 19 posts getting suspended Google My Business & Google Maps 2
F Google My Business local seo Google Local 101 3
Vickyboli Google maps pin misplaced Google My Business & Google Maps 6
M Google rule for collecting reviews from a dedicated tablet inside a store ? Local Reviews 8
djbaxter Google on Interstitial Ads: Do what we say, not what we do Organic SEO 0
djbaxter Google Posts No Longer Expire After Seven Days Google My Business & Google Maps 5
B Discrepancy in Google SERP Info Local Reviews 2