More threads by StefanEarly

StefanEarly

Reaction score
This situation is a little difficult to explain but I'll do my best.
The previous owner of our client's business ran 3 businesses from the same location, our client purchased 2 of the businesses that provide different services, one is a blinds shop and the other is a repair business for blinds and shutters. I have set the primary category in the repair business to repair service to differentiate it from the primary business which is a blinds shop. From my understanding and reading other posts this is in line with Google guidelines.

The 3rd business is set up as a blinds shop, someone else is still running it but the GMB is unclaimed. Our client would like the listing removed because it has the same address as theirs. So far, we have suggested an edit in the unclaimed listing > then selected does not exist here > then submitted a photo of the exterior for proof. I have just checked and the cover shot of the GMB has been updated with the photo we submitted (which we found unusual) and nothing else has changed. We are considering claiming the listing and getting a postcard sent out then marking it as closed, but I'm a little unsure if that is the right move.

Would anyone have any suggestions about how to best deal with this situation and either changing the address or removing the listing? Our client would prefer not to contact the guy that's running the business because it could potentially make the situation worse and he does not know his address. I am also a little worried that our client is risking a suspension at some point with the 3 listings all sharing the same address and if there is any grey areas with the 2 businesses he owns. Thanks in advance for any replies

Hey @StefanEarly

our client purchased 2 of the businesses that provide different services, one is a blinds shop and the other is a repair business for blinds and shutters. I have set the primary category in the repair business to repair service to differentiate it from the primary business which is a blinds shop. From my understanding and reading other posts this is in line with Google guidelines.
Are these two legally separate businesses? Or is the repair business a service that the blind shop offers? This is a key distinction to prevent future issues. Google would likely need to see separate entrance, signage and staff for each one.

The 3rd business is set up as a blinds shop, someone else is still running it but the GMB is unclaimed. Our client would like the listing removed because it has the same address as theirs.

Can you clarify if the 3rd GMB is a real business? What do you mean by "someone else is running it"?

Hi @Colan Nielsen, thanks for your reply
They are 2 legally separate businesses with different ABN's (Australian business numbers) with different signage and staff but they do not have separate entrances.

The 3rd business was set up by the previous owner also as a blinds shop at the same address and someone else separate from our client is running it, so it has nothing to do with them. Legally, there are not many restrictions to running a business in Australia and he is probably trading as a sole trader. They are definitely operating because they have posted jobs from late last year on their Facebook business page.

I am unsure whether I should continue to suggest an edit in maps because I presume that's dealt with AI, or reach out to Google. As I said, we suggested an edit earlier in the week, submitted a photo and the GMB has updated with our clients shop front.

I am unsure whether I should continue to suggest an edit in maps because I presume that's dealt with AI, or reach out to Google. As I said, we suggested an edit earlier in the week, submitted a photo and the GMB has updated with our clients shop front.

Since they are now operating that business out of a different address you should be able to suggest an edit and update the address. That will solve the problem of the listing potentially impacting you.

One more question first: Do they already have a new listing at whatever address they are now operating out of? Depending on the answer to that I may adjust my suggestion.

I cannot find any other listings, I think it is most likely the only one. There is one issue with entering their address, I just spoke with my client and he said they do not have a shop front because they are operating as a SAB, so it would mean entering their home address into maps. Would you still recommend that is our best option?

In that case, I would contact GMB support and ask them to remove it since it's causing issues with your GMB's. They might suggest marking it as closed, but you can explain to them that will cause confusion with your customers.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom