More threads by JoshuaMackens

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I've been getting a lot of requests for different countries for Local SEO.

Is SEO in States that much different than SEO say in France?

@JoshuaMackens I would think the biggest difference would be the language. But as far as I can tell the general SEO principles are going to be the same.

Claiming listings can be a bit more of a pain. For example, scheduling phone verifications across time zones, countries with no reliable mail delivery or street address standards, etc.

I've found that basic best practices are the same, but implementation is often more difficult for many of the reasons @Rich Owings mentioned. Directory updates can be a real pain. Some countries use black hat methods more than others, so you may end up with a lot of backlink cleanup (for example). You also have different laws as far as content depending on the country and the service, biases for some industries (chiropractors aren't real doctors, for example), unique local vernaculars and ways users search, etc (which can be especially difficult if you don;t know the language). Some areas are more difficult to target neighborhoods and suburbs, but ranking in the city is SO competitive....

You just need to really do your research on the location to pick out these quirks, and if you choose to work for someone where the language is something you're unfamiliar with then you'll want to work closely with someone who can help translate for you.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom