Dan Foland

SEO Director at Postali
Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I started noticing this in late 2018, but it's very possible this has been going on far longer. A little after I started noticing it I started saving screenshots. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this, or if I just didn't notice it earlier. Here's my article with more examples: Google Search Results Showing Consecutive Same-Site Results

Example:
BUX.png

Reaction score
Yes, I've noticed it recently as well as some other oddities/new features.

The following screens appeared while doing some research for a local business. The first screen shows several local businesses replacing the normal Google Ads. The Google Ads appeared further down the page. Then, once you selected the -> More (local business type) hyperlink, the second screen appeared.

Obviously, a new feature being tested/rolled out.
DISCLAIMER: All personal information and faces have been blurred to protect the innocent. ;-)

Tim Kahlert

Reaction score
@Dan Foland Yeah I noticed that as well. In my opinion Google tries to give page value more credit and if the homepage has kind of the same quality as a specific website inside the same sitemap, it is shown more often. It makes totally sense to me but it could lead to a more monotone rank listing as the 10th place will land on the 2nd page and so forth... The algorithm was basically just considering different websites as a whole and is apparently shifting to a more individual evaluation. I'm curious where this will lead to.

@tangerinemoons That´s Google Local Services. It has been launched in just a few industries and areas and is not available to everyone. I signed up for the launch notification as I think this could be a great chance to promote local businesses.

Dan Foland

SEO Director at Postali
Local Search Expert
Reaction score

Yan Gilbert

Administrator
Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
I've been finding that returned results were not getting me to the answers I wanted. It was especially bad in technical searches when half the results were from stackexchange for example, but none of the links provided were close to what I was even searching for. Getting some other domains in there might be better.

djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Google search update aims to show more diverse results from different domain names
by Barry Schwartz, Search Engine Land
June 6, 2019

Google announced on the Search Liaison Twitter account just now that it has updated its search results to show a more diverse set of search results. That means Google will aim to show no more than two results from the same domain for a particular query in the top results.

More diverse Google results. Searchers, along with SEOs, have complained over the years that sometimes Google shows too many listings for the top search results from the same domain name. So if you do a search for a particular query, you may see 4 or 5 of the top ten results from the same domain name. Google is looking to not show more than two results from the same domain with this search update.

Google said “A new change now launching in Google Search is designed to provide more site diversity in our results.” Google added, “This site diversity change means that you usually won’t see more than two listings from the same site in our top results.”

But not always. Google said it does reserve the right to show more than two results from the same domain name when it thinks it is appropriate. “However, we may still show more than two in cases where our systems determine it’s especially relevant to do so for a particular search,” Google wrote. I suspect this is related to branded queries, so if you are searching for a brand, like Amazon, you likely will see more than just two results from amazon.com listed in the search results.

Read more...

Tim Kahlert

Reaction score
@Tim# Interesting take. I actually have the opposite take. I think Google is giving the domain more credit rather than page value.

Well, I thought so too and it was probably just selective perception that more search results from the same main page were shown up. Was just trying to find an explanation for it. Great tweet btw! That´s nice to read. That´s a good trend.

I think if you have a broader search term, it would make sense to show more results from the same page(if the page is the leading authority) rather than showing less quality results from different pages. But if the search is very specific, it doesn't make so much sense to show a lot of results from the same page as a specific information shouldn't be double present. (duplicate content)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Cherie Dickey Is anyone else noticing a change to the "Suggest an Edit"? Google News: Important Changes & Features 23
JoyHawkins Anyone Else Noticing Local Results Vanish for Sex-Related Legal Queries? Local Search 17
E Has anyone else noticed this when searching on google? Organic SEO 3
ryannbull We have added a question to our client's Google My Business Q&A section and it keeps disappearing. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Help & Support for Google Local 4
Caroline S Maps Results Moving Down The Page? Anyone Else Seeing This ? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Matthew Summers Anyone else see a big change in "blue links" rankings starting around 5.26.20? Google Algorithm Discussions 0
Ben Walsh Anyone else seeing a bunch of pending review statuses in GMB? Local Search 6
Hammer Anyone else get notified that their recent post was taken down (but wasn't)? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Chaddow GMB restaurants recent change is anyone else seeing this role out Google My Business & Google Maps 4
M Anyone else having problems with LocalFalcon autoscans being incomplete? Local SEO Tools & Software 0
S Anyone else seeing huge traffic spikes? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
C GMB Bulk Upload Problem - Anyone else with the same issue? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Jen Currier Is anyone else seeing a delay in the publication of responses for Google Reviews? Help & Support for Google Local 0
dlee325 Apple Maps erroneously marking businesses as Closed - Anyone else have this issue? Local Search 4
Dan Foland Has anyone else experienced low quality user experiences in Google search results lately? Organic SEO 2
Dan Foland Has anyone else been experiencing a rise in Brute Force attacks on WordPress recently? Websites, Software, and Security 4
Dan Foland Anyone else overwhelmed with the amount of sub-topics? Local Search Experts Forum 8
Dan Foland Starting to see Google Search Console snippet in search results. Anyone else? Google News: Important Changes & Features 4
Dan Foland Anyone else getting email notifications from GMB alerting them of listing changes? Local Search 7
Chaddow Anyone else seeing this error ? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Tim Colling Moz Local - Is anyone else having trouble adding new listings today? Local Search 3
H Verbatim - Anyone else see this filter feature? Local Search 1
N Linda, or anyone else, thoughts on this issue? Ranking Puzzles 5
N Linda, or anyone else, thoughts on this issue? Ranking Puzzles 5
shondarogers Has anyone else see a dramatic drop in Direct Traffic? Marketing 3
Matthew Newman Anyone else see the new Maps feature?? Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Optimize Prime Google allowing Management of Places Listings. Can anyone else confirm? Google My Business & Google Maps 12
MattCheah Seeing New Dashboard Listings merged with Google+ Business Pages - Anyone else? Google My Business & Google Maps 19
sixthcitysarah Can anyone recommend a Digital PR agency/freelancer? Local SEO Job Board 3
nathangdavidson Does anyone know if there's a GMB Category for vaccination centre? Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Steve Attarian Has anyone had luck removing a Review by a non customer that gave one star because she noticed that the staff didn't wear masks when she walked by? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
nathangdavidson Anyone noticed Website fields not being updated in GMB, even though approved? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
sixthcitysarah Anyone know much on in-page PHP coded redirects? Websites, Software, and Security 1
Wary Goose Anyone used the Business Banking Service GMB Category in the U.S. yet? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
nathangdavidson Anyone noticing reviews not being added to profiles? Local Reviews 5
nathangdavidson Anyone using Google's Marketing Kit tool to promote reviews? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Steve Wiideman Does anyone have a Google My Business claiming best practice guide? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Rich Owings Is anyone having trouble adding users to GMB listings? All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
DanielTexasLira Has anyone done Local SEO on a Dual Pad Hotel (two different hotel brands sharing the same location)? Local Search 6
Rich Owings Is anyone having trouble adding users to GMB listings? Help & Support for Google Local 2
brettmandoes Is anyone having trouble transferring listing ownership to a new account? Google Duplicates & Merges 1
sixthcitysarah Has anyone received Google Ads credits yet? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 23
Steve Wiideman Anyone Heard of Nearby Now? Websites, Software, and Security 2
Ben Walsh Anyone have any experience with GMB briefcase? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
G Renesent Reviews - Anyone Familiar With These Guys? Local Reviews 3
Toby 39 Celsius Any feedback? GMB Profile reported repeatedly...now cannot get anyone to review and reinstate Help & Support for Google Local 4
J Has Anyone Experienced Automatic Suspension After Verifying Location Local Search 6
dave101 Anyone have Good Examples of a GMB listing with a good Q&A section? Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Simon Cox Anyone seen a Stay Verified email from GMB before? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
T Has anyone had success reporting schema spam to google? Spam on Google 5