More threads by coachmarino

coachmarino

Reaction score
Now that keywords in the business name help with ranking, can I just include a couple of really important keywords in the name in GMB? Would that affect NAP consistency? Or would I just be better off duplicating the new name across citations/directories? Something like "Business Name - keyword (service)"

Unfortunately, I think keywords in the business name have always been a factor in ranking. If originally, you have that keyword in your business name - great for you (but they will always have issues like Ads and SERP SEO).

But just to answer your question - I advise not to add anything that is not part of your business name. Just read it directly from Google. Guidelines for representing your business on Google - Google My Business Help

Your name should reflect your business’ real-world name, as used consistently on your storefront, website, stationery, and as known to customers. Accurately representing your business name helps customers find your business online.

Including unnecessary information in your business name is not permitted, and could result in your listing being suspended. Refer to the specific examples below to determine what you can and can't include in your business name.

You don't want to be in the bad side of this. If you get reported - you might get suspended OR WORSE your listing removed.

Of course, there are exceptions, but I believe will change in a few weeks as attributes are added in GMB. See this: This is SPAM, right? - Local Search Forum

But it could be argued that if we change the name across all citations and directories, and on the website, that becomes the real-world name.

Let's say you changed your GMB name and all its citation as you mentioned above. Then your competitor, who knows a thing or two about SPAM keywords, noticed that your storefront sign, your website, and all other resources show your original Business Name.

Me as a competitor - will report it to Google non-stop until they change back your name (which if you get sick of it would be forced to change back the name of all your citations - though again I don't think NAP consistency is a big factor nowadays), your profile gets suspended, or removed.

Believe me, when I say - I am one of those competitors who will really dig into your resources and website, get all of your resources, and even go to the storefront to take evidence of your REAL WORLD business name to remove spam in the local pack.

I would rather spend my time creating a system to ask reviews with essential keywords or on-page SEO.

If you change NAP on Google, make sure you update the NAP all across the web @coachmarino Oh and your site :)

So, yes it can improve ranking but make sure it is your Legal Business Name, that way Google wont flag you for it.

Unfortunately, I think keywords in the business name have always been a factor in ranking. If originally, you have that keyword in your business name - great for you (but they will always have issues like Ads and SERP SEO).

But just to answer your question - I advise not to add anything that is not part of your business name. Just read it directly from Google. Guidelines for representing your business on Google - Google My Business Help

You don't want to be in the bad side of this. If you get reported - you might get suspended OR WORSE your listing removed.

Of course, there are exceptions, but I believe will change in a few weeks as attributes are added in GMB. See this: This is SPAM, right? - Local Search Forum

The resolution of this thread was that it was indeed SPAM and eligible for suspension. Google has since began reverting the brand's listings I highlighted in this post. There might be an exception for delivery / takeout options but GMB quickly updated it's attributes taxonomy to support it there and are now encouraging businesses to assign correct attributions vs. highlighting them in your name.

If you keyword stuff your name, it can lead to a whole host of problems. It's one of the oldest grey hat local seo tricks in the book. T-Mobile did it a few years ago and tanked from it. Look at their listings today, just T-Mobile.

All your listings on your directories, your website, legal DBA name even real-world signage will need updating to significantly mitigate having any issues from having a keyword in your name.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom