More threads by valgetova

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

Recently I bumped into a total mess with a Knowledge panel of a business, and I really need some fresh thoughts on the issue. Below is the whole complicated situation:

A hotel rebranded on Sep 18, 2019 from "The Majestic Hotel" to "DoubleTree by Hilton Harrogate Majestic Hotel & Spa" and performed an update on Wikipedia article of the hotel with the accurate name:
DoubleTree by Hilton Harrogate Majestic Hotel & Spa - Wikipedia

However, a visibility issue has arisen due to the changes to the old Hotel Majestic listing, made with the help of the Google Maps forum (Editing building polygon on Google Maps? - Google Maps Help). The listing of the polygon of Hotel Majestic in question was linked to the Wikipedia article and when the change in the name from "The Majestic Hotel" to "Harrogate" happened on Google Maps, the connection incorrectly continues to exists.

This led to the hotel loss of its Knowledge graph result:
doubletree by hilton harrogate majestic hotel & spa - Google Search (the Map in the Knowledge panel leads to the polygon?!)

It appears that now we have 3 different Maps listings, which contradict and undermine a clear KG result:
  • The closed listing of the old brand hotel: Google Maps - this listing should have been connected with the Wikipedia article;
  • The polygon "listing" that has changed name to some kind of a postal code by Google Maps forum expert: Google Maps - incorrectly connected with the Wikipedia article;
  • The new listing for the hotel: Google Maps - this listing should connect to the Wikipedia article from now on.
Now the only thing I want is to fix the mess and have the proper Knowledge panel of the new hotel - "DoubleTree by Hilton Harrogate Majestic Hotel & Spa", on full brand name search as it should be.

What would you advise to be taken in this case and whether there is an option to fix this mess at all?

Thank you for your time in advance! :)

Something definitely seems off here. The main KP I get is for the Wikipedia entry and when you click the map, it takes you to the polygon which is named wrong, as you mentioned.
1578401397771.png

The Knowledge Panel below the first one should be merged with it.

1578401390367.png

I can likely get Google to merge them if you want to post this on the GMB forum (I'll try at least). I'll check with a Maps PE about why the polygon would be named wrong.

Something definitely seems off here. The main KP I get is for the Wikipedia entry and when you click the map, it takes you to the polygon which is named wrong, as you mentioned.
1578401397771.png

The Knowledge Panel below the first one should be merged with it.

1578401390367.png

I can likely get Google to merge them if you want to post this on the GMB forum (I'll try at least). I'll check with a Maps PE about why the polygon would be named wrong.
Hey Joy :)
I was just wondering if there are any updates on the issue, as unfortunately, I'm still seeing the same "not relevant KP ;/

I'll respond on the Google thread when I hear back from them. Normally it takes around a week or so.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom