Kymberly

Reaction score
Good morning,

We have a lawyer that is selling his practice. The only changes will be the name and the domain. The business address and phone number will remain the same. Do you have a suggestion on how we should handle the citations? I for sure understand the importance of consistency, my main concern was creating immediate errors and or duplicates. So I wasn't sure if the best path forward were, to begin with building new citations under the new name and domain and somehow dissolving the current or if updating the existing would be the best path forward. Your insights and expertise are greatly appreciated!

Thank you so kindly!
Kymberly

PKLilikoi

Solutions
Reaction score
Good morning,

We have a lawyer that is selling his practice. The only changes will be the name and the domain. The business address and phone number will remain the same. Do you have a suggestion on how we should handle the citations? I for sure understand the importance of consistency, my main concern was creating immediate errors and or duplicates. So I wasn't sure if the best path forward were, to begin with building new citations under the new name and domain and somehow dissolving the current or if updating the existing would be the best path forward. Your insights and expertise are greatly appreciated!

Thank you so kindly!
Kymberly

My suggestion would be to update the current citations as they have aged value. Make sure the NAP is consistent and matches what is on the new domain.

If you are using a service like BrightLocal, Moz or Whitespark, it should be easy to update the citations especially with the services they offer. If not, find all existing citations that reference the practice and update manually.

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@Kymberly, as @PKLilikoi said, you'll want to claim and update listings whenever possible, rather than create new listings.

Of course, there will probably be some listings you can't update. In that scenario cases it's fine to create a new listing and get the old one removed (if possible). It's a case-by-case situation. Each site is different.

You'll want or need to work on those listings in 2-3 blasts of work, each spread a month or two apart. It may take a while to get them all updated, or to get them "good enough." Which is fine, because (1) the business with the cleanest citations often isn't the one that ranks best and (2) the updates are a little less urgent if the address and phone number are staying the same.

I'd prioritize the big, well-known sites and the larger legal directories (like Avvo) over the lesser-known sites. If you even bother with those at all.

Kymberly

Reaction score
My suggestion would be to update the current citations as they have aged value. Make sure the NAP is consistent and matches what is on the new domain.

If you are using a service like BrightLocal, Moz or Whitespark, it should be easy to update the citations especially with the services they offer. If not, find all existing citations that reference the practice and update manually.
Thank you so much for the great advice!

Kymberly

Reaction score
@Kymberly, as @PKLilikoi said, you'll want to claim and update listings whenever possible, rather than create new listings.

Of course, there will probably be some listings you can't update. In that scenario cases it's fine to create a new listing and get the old one removed (if possible). It's a case-by-case situation. Each site is different.

You'll want or need to work on those listings in 2-3 blasts of work, each spread a month or two apart. It may take a while to get them all updated, or to get them "good enough." Which is fine, because (1) the business with the cleanest citations often isn't the one that ranks best and (2) the updates are a little less urgent if the address and phone number are staying the same.

I'd prioritize the big, well-known sites and the larger legal directories (like Avvo) over the lesser-known sites. If you even bother with those at all.
This is excellent advice! Thank you kindly!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K I Need Guidance on How to Handle a Law Practice Buyout & Existing GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 1
H Title tags - law firm with 2 locations + 2 practice areas Local Search 3
F Practitioner Listings being marked as Duplicate - Law firm category Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Greg Bernhardt Creating a GMB listing for attorney owner of law firm Google My Business & Google Maps 7
zach.todd 19,000 law article titles for inspiration Local Content 3
micromano The Pros and Cons of Multiple Law Offices Recycle Bin 5
seoWest Multiple Practitioners at Law Firm Google My Business & Google Maps 3
B GMB not showing up in search (Charles E. Boyk Law Offices, LLC - Fremont) Google My Business & Google Maps 4
PaulSteinbrueck re: Law firms spamming Google My Business Google My Business & Google Maps 5
U Two Law Firms, One Address Local Search 7
Jane Benson Need Right Map Associated with Law Firm Google My Business & Google Maps 4
K New Game: Why does this employment law attorney rank high? Ranking Puzzles 3
K New Game: Why does this employment law attorney rank high? Ranking Puzzles 3
B celebrex law suit Ladiesburg Recycle Bin 0
C Two Difference Law Firms with Same Address Local Search 4
rich_marlatt What is the GMB best practice for moving offices? All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
djbaxter Webinar GMB Best Practices for Multi-Location Sites: Live Webinar April 14, 2021 Events 0
J Reporting unethical GMB practices Google My Business & Google Maps 2
sixthcitysarah Advice for Dental Office Buying Closed Practice? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
FriarTuck00 Best Practice for a Business that is Still Operational but Everyone Works Remotely? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
david.victor GMB Q&A vs your website's FAQ - Best Practices? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
A GMB asking about "Covid safety practices" through push notifications Google My Business & Google Maps 1
D Promote Reviews to Practice's Main GMB Profiles or Individual Doctors' GMB Profiles Local Reviews 1
abbiebeltran Amway or Avon - Best Practice Google My Business Service Area Businesses 3
G Best Practice for GMB Service Areas? Service Area Businesses 2
ladykal Is this bad practice? Multiple location landing pages but 1 office location Organic SEO 5
RattlingTram Best Practices for areaServed Schema Markup? Help & Support for Google Local 5
Michael S. Doran Multiple Locations Best Practices Local Search 3
P Creating Content Silo to improve Category Page (Best Practice Query) Local Content 1
Steve Wiideman Does anyone have a Google My Business claiming best practice guide? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
J Doctors who are part of a practice, but also work at 3 hospitals Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Ben Walsh Call Tracking best practices Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
Ben Walsh Latest Best Practices For Dynamic Tracking with CallRail? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 1
Colan Nielsen GMB Adds "Manage insurance info for your practice" Section to Guidelines Google My Business & Google Maps 2
mattrigg Best Practice - Content Assets and Linking Local Content 3
J GMB listings for medical practice with multiple doctors Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Michael Ferrari Clinic with GMB Profiles for Each Practice Google Duplicates & Merges 2
M Adding "Teletherapy" to mental health practice GMB name? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
M SAB Moving - Best Practices for 2020 Recycle Bin 0
Caroline S Best Practices For Submitting Spam Edits On Google Maps? Spam on Google 2
A SAB Moving - Best Practices for 2020 Moving or Name Changes 2
B Flagging Bad Reviews By Same Person - Best Practice? Local Reviews 1
Annika Neudecker GMB UTM best practices for chains? Multi-Location Issues 2
PaulSteinbrueck Best practices for blogging, evergreen content, publish dates Organic SEO 4
Rich Owings Attorney buys and renames bankruptcy practice; loses GMB listing after 2 years of reviews Moving or Name Changes 10
keyserholiday Washington AG files lawsuit over deceptive marketing practices. Local Reviews 0
K Not The Best Practice for a GMB / Citations Name Change...and I need opinions. Moving or Name Changes 3
B Best practice for flagging keyword-stuffed business names Recycle Bin 0
K BEST Practices for TRACKING GMB website Click throughs? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
H A practice with 1 practitioner, 2 GMB's, and 1 high ranking Google My Business & Google Maps 7