BrandonL

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I wanted to get some feedback from people on if you are using local keywords in your anchor text with links. For years if i'm trying to rank a page in a city I've included a few backlinks to pages with the city in the anchortext but i've also heard that this may leave a footprint/ not work well anymore.

For example I have a site with about 100 inner pages, all unique content that we are trying to rank in different cities. The links I'm doing are a mix of generic keyword anchors and exact match such as "keyword orange county". If you have any data or have experimented with this, please chime in.

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@BrandonL, it's hard to comment on this in in the abstract (as in it's not clear whether you're talking about pointing external domains to pages you're trying to rank, or internal links). But my general suggestion is to do "service" or "product," rather than "service + place" or "product + place." So more phrase-match than exact-match. I've found that to be effective

That's what I'd suggest for most internal links, and for external/inbound links, to a lesser extent. But the latter is trickier. If we're talking about external links (on sites you control or can influence), you'll want to use an even-lighter touch. The inherent problem is if you can control the anchor text on a bunch of different sites, and you point those URLs to 100 pages on your site, sooner or later you'll overdo something. Because when you're dealing with 100 pages on your site, and probably many pages on other domains, it's real easy to overdo things.

Less is more.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Brian Barwig Unconventional Approaches to Local Link Building Local Search 0
J Tutorial Q&A Link Building for DA & Referral Traffic Organic SEO 2
Jim Froling Great Link Building Lessons by Base Academy Recycle Bin 0
S [CMcreator] A new SEO Link Building Tool (2020) Recycle Bin 0
M GMB link to homepage instead of building location pages to link to? Multi-Location Issues 8
vivekrpatel Local Link Building with Content Local Search 25
Garrett Sussman An Interview with Marie Haynes: Saving Sites and the Future of Link Building Local Reviews 21
Oliver Keates Long Term Local Link Building Local Search 5
rosie.brightlocal BrightLocal Expert Local Business Link Building Survey Local Search 0
Durandl Link building and content creation for emergency electrician Local Search 4
H Local SEO without Link building Local Search 5
JustinB Moz Content Tool and Building Non-Niche Links Local Search 1
Garrett Sussman 7 Ways To Improve Local SEO Without Building Links Local Reviews 12
JustinB Discussion: Local Link Building and Citations LLB Guide Local Search 1
Linda Buquet The Local Link Building Mega Jackpot! From Mike Ramsey & WhiteSpark Local Search 5
Linda Buquet Stuck on the Link Building Piece of the Local Search Puzzle? Local Search 2
Linda Buquet 90 SEO Experts Share their Best White Hat Link Building Tips - Ahrefs Blog Organic SEO 2
Todd McCall Local Link Building: High Authority Chambers vs Low Authority Trade Groups? Local Search 4
Dustybones 11 Ideas for building links for Local Businesses Local Search 3
Linda Buquet Local Search: 9 Low Risk Link Building Strategies for Higher Rankings Local Search 0
Linda Buquet Five (5) Under-Appreciated Sources for Local Link Building Success by LSEO Local Search 4
D Cool Link Building Strategies Tool Organic SEO 2
Linda Buquet Local Link Building Guide Local Search 4
Linda Buquet Local Link Building Tips and Tricks on #seochat Local Search 0
Dustybones Building Links in a time when Google is laying the hammer down. Local Search 1
iFuse Local SEO & Link Building Local Search 3
Dustybones 3 solid reminders on building links to your website Local Search 0
J Valentines' day SEO Funny (Building Links & Breaking Hearts) Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 9
B Link Building to G+ Page? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Matt Cutts: Don't build links using article directories Organic SEO 1
Linda Buquet Local Link Building - No Tricks, Just Treats! Local Search 6
S Link building for Local SEO Local Search 12
Linda Buquet Link Building with the Experts 2013 - Industry Leaders Share Solid Advice Organic SEO 0
Linda Buquet Local SEO: Link Building for Small Businesses Local Search 5
Nick.SEOSpark Building External Links to "Inner Pages" Organic SEO 1
deanPlumberseo The value of building links, looking for thoughts Organic SEO 9
Linda Buquet Local Link Building and Brilliant Map Embed Trick Local Search 1
Colan Nielsen Out-of -the-Box Local Link Building Organic SEO 20
Linda Buquet Build Google+ FILTER Bubbles NOT Links - The Algo is Curating our World Local Search 0
djbaxter Can't Rank? Link Building Won't Help You? Organic SEO 11
Linda Buquet FUBAR LINK - Building Patient Reviews ? Training, Tips and Template Recycle Bin 0
R Any Benefit from Link Building to Google+ Local Pages and/or Google Maps URLs Local Search 9
chadkimball Trying to change my signature from Chad Kimball Maps to Chaddo.com as the link anchor Forum Tech Support 2
TriciaClements UTM for forwarding and affiliate links Local Search 2
Colan Nielsen Find Local Link Opportunities with ZipSprout’s FREE Local Sponsorship Finder! Local SEO Tools & Software 8
B "Check Insurance Info" Link In GMB - How'd it get there? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
W Gathering GMB Dashboard Links Multi-Location Issues 1
djbaxter NEW Forcing a link to NOFOLLOW How To Guides 0
Ben Walsh The client won't drop it with disavowing links Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
Marty Twelves Local links: are they really that much better? Local Search 1