HoosierBuff

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm having an issue with the main hospital listing getting filtered for local searches - and this obviously is causing some problems.

At issue is, the client reports that when you do a search in their immediate vicinity, the GMB for the hospital does not show up. Right now when you do the search in the area, the clinic (that is in the hospital) shows up, and the Emergency room shows up. T

he clinic is named "<brand name> clinic - City Name", and the emergency room is "Emergency room <Brand name> hospital". The hospital is named "<brand name> hospital>"

So side by side:
A. "brand name> Clinic -City name" (unique phone number)
B. "Emergency Room <brand name> hospital" (same phone number as C)
C. "<brand name> hospital" (same phone number as B)

When you search "<brand name> hospital" A&B show up, but not C.

To combat this - I linked C's website directly to the "<brand name> hospital" page on thie site, and the A&B to their directly relevant counterparts on the site too. The categories in GMB are all correct. I even removed the word hospital from the business description of the ER (though, I'm pretty sure that won't make a diff).

The only other solution I had was maybe linking the Hospital to the home page of the website - maybe that would give it more power?

HoosierBuff

Reaction score
Argh... this problem went away, and now it's back. If you search for the hospital, the clinic shows up.

steps I have taken:
1. Changed the website URL in GMB for both - changed the hospital to link to the home page (more powerful), while the clinic is linked to location page
2. Changed the pins on the map so that they are as far apart as possible
3. Changed the name of the clinic. It was <brand><Cityname> clinic. It is now <brand> clinic. Surprisingly it still beats the hospital for <brand><cityname> hospital. The name of the hospital is <brand><cityname> hospital.
4. Claimed a duplicate location for the hospital that had no address, website, or phone number. Had it deleted as a duplicate
5. Added "located in" to the clinic, so that it would show up as located in the Hosptial.

Not sure what else I can do here. It seems insane that the clinic shows up when I search for the hospital.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Bar within hotel appearing in place of main hotel listing Help & Support for Google Local 6
WAHamilton Main listing filtered by duplicate, after duplicate is marked as 'closed' Google Duplicates & Merges 6
NickB-Tampa Why does Google keep updating changing the main category on our listings to ones that don't make as much sense? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
D Promote Reviews to Practice's Main GMB Profiles or Individual Doctors' GMB Profiles Local Reviews 1
A Will adding a secondary category that requires a physical location trigger re-verification for main service based category? Local Search 1
NexstarNickR Adjusting of Main GMB Category by Season All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
E Facebook Disabled Main Account Citations 7
N DUP Main keywords Unexpectedly dropped Recycle Bin 4
S One Business, Two main categories... 2 listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Conor Treacy GMB Listing for a "mainly" eCommerce site Google My Business & Google Maps 4
CarrieHill Businesses with multiple departments surfacing "child" departments instead of main listings Google My Business & Google Maps 5
N Would changing the main business category drop a GMB rankings significantly or at all if it's in the same industry? Local Content 7
W Verified GMB has a ".com.au" but main website is ".com" Google My Business & Google Maps 2
D List food pantry hours under main hours of food bank Multi-Location Issues 1
S Stop words in title or not - for the main keyword? Local Search 2
D Main Competitors Organic SEO 5
M Why GMB knowledge panel shows up for main local KW phrase instead of maps? Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Gsmithmike What to do if the main business number is 888, which is toll free? Local Search 5
codyecp CallRail - Main Line Tracking & Google Analytics Conversions Local Search 0
Beris Internal Linking - Do Main Menu Links Count? Organic SEO 5
LilyRayNYC Practitioner page consistently outranking main biz page despite being less optimized Ranking Puzzles 2
Laura Duncan GMB Cover Photo UX Issue - Maps Search Box Overlays Main Photo Content Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Travis Van Slooten How Do You Find Main Practice & Practitioner Listings in Google Maps? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
J In Local Pack for most keywords but NOT main keyword , any advice please Help & Support for Google Local 7
rmorgan Rafting Company wants drop sites along river to show up in maps, not main office Local Search 6
Christa Morgante Main/Practitioner Listings Marked as Duplicate Addresses in GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 6
J Multiple websites linking to main site Local Search 8
B Added 2 SAB listings and original local listing marker no longer showing in main serp Service Area Businesses 0
B Added 2 SAB listings and original local listing marker no longer showing in main serp Service Area Businesses 0
Linda Buquet How To Update Your Local Listing Data on the 4 Main Data Aggregators - Mockingbird Citations 8
FriarTuck00 Issues With Cell Phone as Main Business Number Citations 5
Lloyd Silver Company brand with different name and number, same address - impact on main page? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
M Main Location listing + Agent listing + Same Address = DUPE? Google Duplicates & Merges 12
M Main Location listing + Agent listing + Same Address = DUPE? Google Duplicates & Merges 12
RobinOctane 3 Locations Which One to Give Publisher Rights To on Main Site? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Travis Van Slooten 2 Dentist Locations with One Main Local Number? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
J How to Select Main Image in Google Local? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
M Same lawyer - Both sites Page 1 - Main site in G+ & pack and EMD too - how? safe? Local Search 5
M How to optimize the G+ local listing to main city when you have address in sub city Local Search 3
R Categories Show Up Out of Order - Main Category is Hidden on G+ Local page. NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 19
R Categories Show Up Out of Order - Main Category is Hidden on G+ Local page. NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 19
C Using a Toll Free # as Main #, Any chance to Rank? Google My Business & Google Maps 17
0 Primary Owner hospitalized and has a stroke. Need to add myself as a manager. Verifying via phone calls only grants me Site Manager access. Help & Support for Google Local 2
J Doctors who are part of a practice, but also work at 3 hospitals Google My Business & Google Maps 6
pconnole Google My Business eligibility question (Hospitality Industry) Google My Business & Google Maps 4
officialryguy1 Hospital/Healthcare Map Pins Multi-Location Issues 0
Garrett Sussman Building the Perfect Online Listing in the Hospitality Industry Local Reviews 0
Garrett Sussman Hospitality Industry Review Management Tips and Insights Local Reviews 0
D Adding Maps designation for a hospital campus? Help & Support for Google Local 13
MiriamEllis Hospitality Industry NAP Oddities - Can You Explain Them? Citations 0