Mark Warner

Reaction score
Spammers have given most of the SEO industry a bad reputation IMHO, but today I am going to play the devil's advocate and see if we can make the case for saying thank you to the beloved spammers of the web.

As a result of low quality link builders and other search engine spammers, the following circumstances have resulted...

Creation of a New Industry Niche
There is an entire industry for link/penalty removal where there are millions of dollars now flowing. Many people have jobs in the industry directly as a result of this.

More Business Owners Hiring Out SEO
Google has created algorithms specifically to deal with web spam. The consequences of these updates have had both +/- effects... one of which is that SEO stories have made it to the front page of the Wall Street Journal, increasing overall awareness that there is a search engine optimization industry that can help business owners. This has pushed more business owners to look at their SEO and hire agencies to take care of this.

Charging More Money for Services
The net result of the algorithmic changes being made is that it is just not as easy to "manually" get a website to rank #1. Due to this and the nature of services that we now provide, overall I think that we are able to more easily charge more money for quality services. The difference between high quality and low quality services is much easier to demonstrate to business owners, and much more obvious as to why they should pay $3k/month instead of $250/month.

So, today and today only, I'd like to say thank you to the spammers of the world. Don't worry, tomorrow I'll be back to hating you with a full fledged irrational passion that you would usually only find in a debate club full of steroid users.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Too funny and oh so true Mark!

Spammers are easy to hate and make it harder for the honest business owner.

But you are right, they help keep us in business too!

I still hate 'em like you said for today only, gotta luv 'em! :p

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
djbaxter How vulnerability makes you a better leader Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
MatGee Adding Make Appointment Button to GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 1
S What makes a great Home/Landing Page in Local? Local Search 6
NickB-Tampa Why does Google keep updating changing the main category on our listings to ones that don't make as much sense? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
Hanzel What would you do to make it in the Google 3 pack for "Personal Injury Lawyers" in Louisville Local Search 5
J How to make someone else admin without losing access? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
lukeelliott Wanted to make a forum post about DNI call tracking. Contact Us Messages 1
L Making a lot of changes Google My Business & Google Maps 1
H Vent: Companies are making it harder to invoice Consultant's Corner 9
M Does it make sense to backlink from local citations.... Local Search 7
W Offsite changes to make after switching to SSL Google My Business & Google Maps 35
Zhivko What makes a directory valuable? Citations 26
C Any Evidence Structured Data Schema Makes A Difference? Local Search 3
Ross Barefoot Clients are driving me to make memes Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 1
KevinWag Exposing address make a difference in getting map pin for SABs? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
A Character Examination Paper: How to Make Your Most loved Saints Come Nearer Recycle Bin 0
djbaxter Make Google Chrome Show HTTP and WWW Again in Address Bar Websites, Software, and Security 0
JoyHawkins BBB Makes Big Change to Review Display Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Popular SEO Beliefs That Make No Sense At All Organic SEO 21
djbaxter Google Speed Update: If you have a fast site, making it faster won't boost rankings Organic SEO 3
Eric Shanfelt VIDEO TIP: How to Make a Direct Google Reviews Link Local Reviews 4
Garrett Sussman Want Amazing Reviews? Make a Face-to-Face Request Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman Make Sure Your Brand is Telling the Same Story as Your Reviews Local Reviews 6
djbaxter Negative reviews that make you go "Wait. What?" Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
J Facebook?s Places Graph makes 140 million locations available to developers Mobile & Social 4
Travis Van Slooten How to Make an Address Change to Claimed Google Listing (with no access to it) Google My Business & Google Maps 7
R My business not visible in maps after making changes in mapmaker to add suite number Local Search 7
Scott ClientClicks Using mapmaker to remove business name spam. Does a DBA make it OK? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
pbarnhart "Explore" feature in new Google maps makes some interesting recommendations Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Linda Buquet Hot Mini Local Linkbuilding Roundup - Ideas to Make Life Easier Local Search 2
djbaxter Google: Continuing to make the web more mobile friendly Mobile & Social 1
Linda Buquet Making Sense of the Google Adwords Changes for Local Businesses Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
James Watt Locksmith spam makes New York Times again Google My Business & Google Maps 11
Linda Buquet Local Video SEO Making You Craz-EO? Here are some tips Marketing 0
Dustybones Mercury In Retrograde Makes us Mad for a few weeks. Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 1
Dustybones 4 Ways To Make A Patient Friendly Practitioner Page Local Search 3
djbaxter WordPress Plugins to Make your Site Mobile Responsive Mobile & Social 3
djbaxter Social Media Makes Up Nearly A Third Of All Referral Traffic Mobile & Social 6
Gsmithmike Dedicated Local IP? - Does IP make any differences in ranking? Google My Business & Google Maps 11
M Google makes Global Address Changes Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Linda Buquet Your Local Business Schema Sucks - Make it Better - David Deering - Whitespark Local Search 0
Linda Buquet LATEST: Confirmed Google Update: Pigeon Makes a Christmas Flight Overseas Google My Business & Google Maps 14
H 60% of consumers never make it to SMB website - find info elsewhere Local Search 4
T Making edits to a currently verified Google listing Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Linda Buquet Why ?Barnacle SEO? Is Making A Big Comeback In Local - David Mihm Local Search 3
kevinjwiles Do Specific Location landing Pages make the difference? Local Search 10
Margaret Ornsby Google maps - one word makes that much difference? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
G facing legal action for a fake bad review of a business I used to own. I didn't make Recycle Bin 0
Bishop Google Webmaster "Average Position" makes no sense! Local Search 1
L New Google SAB Update + Don't Make this Frightful Mistake! Service Area Businesses 10