Hassan

Reaction score
Hi, I wondered if anyone could shed light on Local Map Pack ads for Service Area Businesses. Is it even possible for my ads to show in the Map Pack for my Service Area Business? Am I better off reverting back to showing a physical address in order to get that visibility in the map pack? Your insights would be greatly valued. Thank you.

Contractor

Reaction score
The first part of your post makes it sound like you are speaking about the paid ads in the local listings. The second part sounds like you are talking about the normal unpaid local listing. Can you clarify please?

Also, does your SAB have a physical location with signage and open for customers to visit?

Hassan

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your reply. We are an on-site computer/tech support service for households. I’m referring to the paid ads showing in the map pack (local pack ads). We are a service area business but we do have an office address. We’ve recently moved to hiding our physical address and switched to a pure service area business. In theory, customers could visit us (if we showed our physical address), to get their computer/tech repaired but we discourage it as we are a call-out service.

RattlingTram

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your reply. We are an on-site computer/tech support service for households. I’m referring to the paid ads showing in the map pack (local pack ads). We are a service area business but we do have an office address. We’ve recently moved to hiding our physical address and switched to a pure service area business. In theory, customers could visit us (if we showed our physical address), to get their computer/tech repaired but we discourage it as we are a call-out service.
Ordinary Google search ads are eligible to run in the map pack, but you have NO CONTROL over this.

Google doesn't show map pack ads on every map pack search, so in the case of a lot of searches, there is no actual ad inventory to target.

Any clicks for click types "get directions", "mobile click to call", "get location details" almost certainly came from a map pack listing, so reporting on these click types is your best way of understanding how often you are appearing in map pack.

Where it DOES decide to show ads, it's an ordinary search ad-based auction, but there are a few things you can do to give yourself the best chance of appearing.
- have an enabled account-level location extension for a verified Google My Business listing in your Ads account
- Make sure your GMB listing is optimised per all the usual local SEO practices
- Use location targeting and bid by location
- Make sure you're targeting all the relevant keywords you want to rank in map pack for.

Best of luck with it!

Tony Wang

Reaction score
As for your original question, you need to enable the location extension for Local Pack ads, so no, you won't be able to have those ads with a hidden address.

But as RattlingTram mentions, you have no control over when they show up anyway, so I consider them more of a "bonus" to running regular search ads rather than something you should specifically try to get.

In other words, showing your address is probably not worth doing just to get those Pack ads, especially if you don't want people coming to you.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Local 3-pack Map Ads go to the highest bidder? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 6
G Adding service names to GMB Name leads to showing up on map pack Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Linda Buquet Google Testing Paid Local Shopping Ads with a Map Pack? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
B Removed address to SAB now no longer showing in map pack Service Area Businesses 8
Tim Kahlert Knowledge Panel instead of Map Pack [inexplicable] Google My Business & Google Maps 7
RattlingTram Map Pack Rankings for SAB with equal intent keywords Service Area Businesses 2
Justin Mosebach How to check SERPs for presence of a map pack in bulk? Organic SEO 4
Bryan Bloom "Their website mentions" in the map pack 🤔 - any idea how to get this to fire 🔥? Help & Support for Google Local 4
Nathan_NZ Local Pack and Google Maps Correlation Google My Business & Google Maps 1
M GMB map pack: What triggers images coming up in map pack on SERP? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Blake Denman Interesting featured snippet above map pack Local Search 3
BrianMacKenzie Variations in Number of SERPs Above the Map Pack Local Search 0
Brodie Clark New Icon Appearing in the Map Pack & Local Finder: 'On the menu' Google News: Important Changes & Features 3
H Personalization in Map Pack? Local Search 4
Bryan Bloom Map Pack & GMB spammed company names - How to Get Google to Care Local Search 12
Sarah City vs. Suburb Map Pack Results Local Search 9
jasonfox A client was ranking in the top 3 results on map pack and after web redesign has fallen to 11 Local Search 7
S Listing will not show up on map pack or search--HELP! Help & Support for Google Local 5
J Local Map Pack - Losing Leads Because of Opening Hours Local Search 3
Chris Prendergast Missing Stars on Bank Map Pack Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 1
J Local Map Pack - Expected CTR VS Spam Name Local Search 5
A Rankings only dropped in maps & 3-pack, can't find the culprit. Help & Support for Google Local 16
C Site not showing on map pack Help & Support for Google Local 2
O Major Map Pack Movement in both FL and WA for HVAC and Home Imprv. Keywords 9/20/16 Local Search 9
BenFisher New? Description of business in the SERP results map pack Google My Business & Google Maps 2
pbarnhart Massive compression in Local Map Pack results being observed 7/14 Local Search 8
RFKSolutions Google Maps Search Results different to local 3 pack? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
S Help! I have fallen out of 3 pack to the bottom of Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet Another New Local 3 Pack Click Through / Heat Map Study - Mike Ramsey Google My Business & Google Maps 3
joereadseo Changes to the Map Pack - In Line with the July 28th Rollout?? (UK) Google My Business & Google Maps 2
D 7-Pack vs. Google Maps Local Search 4
C Proximity from centroid enough to keep someone out of the map pack? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Linda Buquet New Local Heat Map Research Shows Not Many Clicks from the Pack Google My Business & Google Maps 2
S Spokane DUI Lawyer Map Pack Disappearing??? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
JoshuaMackens Listing Won't Show in Map Pack but Shows in Maps Search Help & Support for Google Local 5
R Missing in the Pack - But #1 on Google Maps Recycle Bin 18
vibhugauba Google Map #6 but not in Google 7 Pack Help & Support for Google Local 3
Linda Buquet Google Maps Sprouts a 3 Pack and More YAY! Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Andrew RLM SEO Client showing up in maps but not the business pack Help & Support for Google Local 3
Linda Buquet Interesting Google+ Local Penalty? Dropped out of Pack, but Still High in Maps? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
aaronwatters Map Pack Dropped on Paycheck Keyword Google My Business & Google Maps 8
M Google Maps Rankings are not Stable Google My Business & Google Maps 2
S Ranking high organically but invisible on maps Ranking Puzzles 1
david.victor Attribute used as Category by Google on Maps NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 7
Phil Rozek Google Maps reviews get "New" label for reviews less than 1 month old Local Reviews 5
Paul Gregory Google Maps default location bias distance and the Google Maps Places API Google Algorithm Discussions 2
Cherie Dickey Something funny going on in Google Maps... am I missing something? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
chadkimball Trying to change my signature from Chad Kimball Maps to Chaddo.com as the link anchor Forum Tech Support 2
Matt Chauhan Google Maps showing category that doesn't even exist Local Search 1
G Internet marketing company and map listings? Help & Support for Google Local 4