aaronwatters

Reaction score
Hi Forum!

On March 9th I had a map pack drop off Google's top results on a local paycheck term. The structure of the phrase is "service name + city name". The "A" placement is now showing first (a competitor of course), however all of the others have been replaced with organic results.

My assumption is Google saw little value in the Local Places outside of the "A" result thus dropping all other map listings. My question is two-fold:
1. Has anyone experienced anything similar?
2. Is it common for the maps to dance around a lot or was this possibly a filter that was published at the beginning of March? IF this is the case, I was planning on building 5,000 links with the keyword pointed to my home page, good idea? (not serious)

aaronwatters

Reaction score
Hey Colan,

Screenshot attached.

Screen Shot 2013-04-12 at 12.18.00 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-04-12 at 12.18.00 PM.jpg

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Thanks for the screenshot Aaron.

It's hard to say exactly what Google uses to determine if it will show local results for a search term and yes, there can be some flip flopping between showing local results one day and not showing the next day.

My guess is that it's not a highly searched phrase or there isn't a ton of competition.

Marie Ysais

Reaction score
Hi Aaron,
I am from your side of town. I have seen this behavior with a few clients. What you see is a search that is not pulling local results. What you see is the Local Knowledge Graph. You aren't seeing a local listing on the map like you would in a 7 pack.

The race has turned organic for now. Who is to say it will go back to a 7 pack at some point but for now you are seeing the local knowledge graph. I have had search terms do the same behavior and they have stayed out of local and still produce the local knowledge graph.

aaronwatters

Reaction score
Thanks Marie!

I appreciate the feedback, we are working hard on getting the organic rankings back up. Unfortunately, this particular site took a hit with Penguin and really hasn't recovered. We'll continue to make the necessary steps to move higher up on the organics for the home page and subpages. This just goes to show you can't rely on a map listing for traffic but really need multiple listings on each paycheck serp.

Marie Ysais

Reaction score
Hi Aaron,

Make sure your on page SEO is 100%. San Antonio isn't as competitive as it's sister city Austin so you have a really good chance of beating them in the organic game. If you have any questions pm me. I am always curious about recovering sites and watching their progress. Good luck!

aaronwatters

Reaction score
Thanks Marie!

We created an interior page targeting the specific key phrase and I'm excited to see how it rebounds. It's been a crazy ride, our link profile is better than everyone above us according to Majestic and OSE but Google isn't agreeing with them just yet.

Marie Ysais

Reaction score
Let me know how it turns out! If you aren't able to move to the top let me know. Good luck!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A Rankings only dropped in maps & 3-pack, can't find the culprit. Help & Support for Google Local 16
Linda Buquet Interesting Google+ Local Penalty? Dropped out of Pack, but Still High in Maps? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
B Removed address to SAB now no longer showing in map pack Service Area Businesses 8
H Map Pack Ads for Service Area Business Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Tim Kahlert Knowledge Panel instead of Map Pack [inexplicable] Google My Business & Google Maps 7
RattlingTram Map Pack Rankings for SAB with equal intent keywords Service Area Businesses 2
Justin Mosebach How to check SERPs for presence of a map pack in bulk? Organic SEO 4
Bryan Bloom "Their website mentions" in the map pack 🤔 - any idea how to get this to fire 🔥? Help & Support for Google Local 4
Nathan_NZ Local Pack and Google Maps Correlation Google My Business & Google Maps 1
M GMB map pack: What triggers images coming up in map pack on SERP? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Blake Denman Interesting featured snippet above map pack Local Search 3
BrianMacKenzie Variations in Number of SERPs Above the Map Pack Local Search 0
D Local 3-pack Map Ads go to the highest bidder? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 6
Brodie Clark New Icon Appearing in the Map Pack & Local Finder: 'On the menu' Google News: Important Changes & Features 3
H Personalization in Map Pack? Local Search 4
Bryan Bloom Map Pack & GMB spammed company names - How to Get Google to Care Local Search 12
Sarah City vs. Suburb Map Pack Results Local Search 9
jasonfox A client was ranking in the top 3 results on map pack and after web redesign has fallen to 11 Local Search 7
S Listing will not show up on map pack or search--HELP! Help & Support for Google Local 5
J Local Map Pack - Losing Leads Because of Opening Hours Local Search 3
Chris Prendergast Missing Stars on Bank Map Pack Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 1
J Local Map Pack - Expected CTR VS Spam Name Local Search 5
G Adding service names to GMB Name leads to showing up on map pack Google My Business & Google Maps 9
C Site not showing on map pack Help & Support for Google Local 2
O Major Map Pack Movement in both FL and WA for HVAC and Home Imprv. Keywords 9/20/16 Local Search 9
BenFisher New? Description of business in the SERP results map pack Google My Business & Google Maps 2
pbarnhart Massive compression in Local Map Pack results being observed 7/14 Local Search 8
RFKSolutions Google Maps Search Results different to local 3 pack? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
S Help! I have fallen out of 3 pack to the bottom of Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet Another New Local 3 Pack Click Through / Heat Map Study - Mike Ramsey Google My Business & Google Maps 3
joereadseo Changes to the Map Pack - In Line with the July 28th Rollout?? (UK) Google My Business & Google Maps 2
D 7-Pack vs. Google Maps Local Search 4
C Proximity from centroid enough to keep someone out of the map pack? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Linda Buquet New Local Heat Map Research Shows Not Many Clicks from the Pack Google My Business & Google Maps 2
S Spokane DUI Lawyer Map Pack Disappearing??? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Linda Buquet Google Testing Paid Local Shopping Ads with a Map Pack? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
JoshuaMackens Listing Won't Show in Map Pack but Shows in Maps Search Help & Support for Google Local 5
R Missing in the Pack - But #1 on Google Maps Recycle Bin 18
vibhugauba Google Map #6 but not in Google 7 Pack Help & Support for Google Local 3
Linda Buquet Google Maps Sprouts a 3 Pack and More YAY! Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Andrew RLM SEO Client showing up in maps but not the business pack Help & Support for Google Local 3
S Ranking high organically but invisible on maps Ranking Puzzles 0
david.victor Attribute used as Category by Google on Maps NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 0
Phil Rozek Google Maps reviews get "New" label for reviews less than 1 month old Local Reviews 5
Paul Gregory Google Maps default location bias distance and the Google Maps Places API Google Algorithm Discussions 2
Cherie Dickey Something funny going on in Google Maps... am I missing something? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
chadkimball Trying to change my signature from Chad Kimball Maps to Chaddo.com as the link anchor Forum Tech Support 2
Matt Chauhan Google Maps showing category that doesn't even exist Local Search 1
G Internet marketing company and map listings? Help & Support for Google Local 4
F Google Maps Citation confusion? Google My Business & Google Maps 3