More threads by Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Solutions
Reaction score
Hey forum!

I'm trying to get Google to mark my clients GMB as moved. GMB support is requesting I remove the profile from my account, and all other account, so that it becomes unclaimed. Once it's unclaimed, they said they'll be able to mark it as moved. Before I do this, I wanted to check in here to see if the action GMB support was telling me to do was correct.

The situation: My client purchased a new location which 2 of their existing locations would merge into. One GMB has reviews and the other one does not. I updated the address for the GMB with reviews, and now I am trying to get the other GMB marked as moved.

Does this request from support sound safe?

Hey Jeffrey,

Last I checked, to do a merge, you had to have 1 listing unverified but not for a move. The difference between the 2 is usually the address. If the addresses are different, it's a move, if they're the same, it's a merge.

The difference is how it appears on search (not maps). If you search a business name and it's marked permanently closed, it shows in the Knowledge Panel as permanently closed. If you search a business name and the listing was marked as moved, you get the new location's listing instead.

Hi Joy,

Does marking a business as moved appear differently then marking a businesses as permanently closed? Google said "It would show as permanently closed on Google once marked as moved."

If this is the case, what's the difference between marking a profile as permanently closed vs moved.

whats the difference between marking as moved, and just logging in and changing the address in the dashboard, is one better than the other?

I would definitely update the address on the listing. The moved option is really only for cases where there was another listing created somehow and you need to consolidate them.

yea I have a weird situation.

Client has 2 listings:

1) Unclaimed listing with (new) correct address. Client doesn't know how it got created. Doesn't even have a phone number.

2) Claimed Old listing with reviews with (old) incorrect address.

clients get themselves into the weirdest fixes.

Last edited:
In that instance, I would update the address on the claimed listing and reach out to Google after it is published to get the unclaimed one merged into it, because it's a duplicate. If you're doing it this way, don't bother claiming the unclaimed listing.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom