More threads by UKSBD

UKSBD

Reaction score
When setting it up so people can send a message via a Google Business Profile where does it actually appear?

I see it on a mobile, but not a desktop, is that how it is supposed to be, just on mobile?

Could someone please send me a test message if they see an option to do it

Business is Fooseway Tool Hire (might only appear for people in UK)
TIA

There are a few different places you can interact with the messages.

Here is the help center article. How to read & reply to messages from your Business Profile - Android - Google Business Profile Help

Thanks, yes I know how to use it from our end just wondering how it works from the users end.

The chat option displays when looking on a mobile but doesn't appear to display when looking on a desktop or tablet.

Is that how it is supposed to be?

All seems a bit pointless to me, if I'm looking on a phone, chances are I would just ring, maybe I'm a different generation :(

Are there any stats anywhere on interactions with chat buttons on business profiles pages?

Yes the message button is only available when a user is viewing the profile on a mobile device.

Yes the message button is only available when a user is viewing the profile on a mobile device.

Thanks, like I say, seems a bit pointless if you have a prominent number displayed.

Maybe the younger generation would be more inclined to use it, I would nearly always just phone.

It seems to get a very small amount of activity for all the businesses that I look at.

In my experience, the industry I see the most engagement with this is massage therapists and spas. I have multiple clients in this industry and they all get regular leads (multiple per week sometimes) through this source. However, it is often riddled with spam as well so you need to monitor the quality of contacts. I have seen little to no engagement with my clients within other industries.

Heyo @UKSBD, just sent you guys a test message FWIW. I find the most consistent place for users to see the "Chat" call-to-action is in the Google Maps mobile app.

As @Colan Nielsen said, GMB account for a trickle of activity today. Could it become a firehose? Maybe.

Per @Shelly's comments adoption of Business Messages has varied a lot by industry BUT there are use cases that cut across industries: e.g., how to engage and capture inbound interest from someone searching after-hours, at work or in mixed company.

You and I might be more inclined to pick up the phone than to chat, but if it's 9pm, we might want to lob a question over to a contractor or professional services firm to get the conversation started. Business Messages is asynchronous by design.

Other scenarios we've seen: I'm searching from my mobile while sitting on a commuter train after work or amongst family at home (e.g. you can't let the kids hear you calling the toy store to see they have the newest baby Yoda figure, haha)

Some businesses also employ chatbots to answer frequently asked questions. That's a double-edged sword, for sure, but sometimes it works amazingly well 😛

Heyo @UKSBD, just sent you guys a test message FWIW. I find the most consistent place for users to see the "Chat" call-to-action is in the Google Maps mobile app.

As @Colan Nielsen said, GMB account for a trickle of activity today. Could it become a firehose? Maybe.

Per @Shelly's comments adoption of Business Messages has varied a lot by industry BUT there are use cases that cut across industries: e.g., how to engage and capture inbound interest from someone searching after-hours, at work or in mixed company.

You and I might be more inclined to pick up the phone than to chat, but if it's 9pm, we might want to lob a question over to a contractor or professional services firm to get the conversation started. Business Messages is asynchronous by design.

Other scenarios we've seen: I'm searching from my mobile while sitting on a commuter train after work or amongst family at home (e.g. you can't let the kids hear you calling the toy store to see they have the newest baby Yoda figure, haha)

Some businesses also employ chatbots to answer frequently asked questions. That's a double-edged sword, for sure, but sometimes it works amazingly well 😛

Thanks, I got the message and replied
41 minutes late, it is 19:50 in UK though and just finished eating :)

The problem if someone uses it at 9 in evening is no one is going to be there to answer it and if no one replies until the next morning that may put people off

I can see how it may be better for some industries and not others

I'll keep it on there a little while longer and experiment with it, don't think it's going to much use for a business like this though

Agreed. Business Messages honestly almost requires automation, or at the very least some "welcome" language that sets the customer's expectations about when someone will be responding.

41 minutes is really not bad for an asynchronous conversation, which is *supposed* to be the model. (Think: text messaging not "web chat".) In fact, Google will give you a Merchant Response Rate (MRR) of 100% because you responded to me in less than 24 hours LOL

Do you know if it's possible to disable Google Business Messages? I don't see the option, but perhaps it is because I am a manager and not an owner of the location.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU - Local SEO Penalties for Links

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom