More threads by Rich Owings

Rich Owings

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
And that's an understatement. The client has an old GMB listing from when she lived on another continent. Will Google let me change the address? I could have sworn that @Phil Rozek did a blog post about a cross-country move being approved, but I can't find it, so maybe it was someone else. And what's the current thinking on the age of a GMB listing influencing rankings?

Hey @Rich Owings I'm guessing you will need to create a new listing since the move is across countries/continents.

I suspect age is still a factor but I'm not sure exactly how much.

Thanks Colan. If I do try changing the address, I'll post here and let everyone know how it goes.

For what it's worth, it turns out that creating a new listing is Google's official recommendation when changing country or region...
Change-country-region-GMB.png

Okay, it's verified. I wonder if there is any chance GMB support would merge the listings. The new listing is in the U.S. and her old one is in Australia. I'm reluctant to mark the old one as "permanently closed," since she consults worldwide.

I'm curious about the verification method as well. Is the listing live or under review?

Okay, it's verified. I wonder if there is any chance GMB support would merge the listings.

Google won't merge listings with different addresses. So considering they are different continents they won't be able to merge them. Did the old listing have reviews? You can likely have those moved over.

@chadkimball Postcard, the only option they gave me.

It is not live. It says "Pending review. Your business is verified. Listings may be reviewed for quality and can take up to 3 days to be published."

@Colan Nielsen Oh yeah, I forgot about that. She has no reviews on the old listing. Could they mark it as "moved" without merging them?

@Colan Nielsen Oh yeah, I forgot about that. She has no reviews on the old listing. Could they mark it as "moved" without merging them?

It's worth a shot. Please let us know the outcome!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom