More threads by JoshuaMackens

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I hardly ever have to set up new business G+L pages so admittedly, I'm a bit in the dark on this one.

We published a listing on G+L (through the Google Places process of submitting a new listing) about a month ago. The description has been pushed through to the G+L page but the pictures aren't there. Why is that taking so long? Also, the listing isn't ranking in the top 200 for any of our categories. Any opinions on that? I can understand maybe not ranking in the top 50, heck, maybe even the top 100, but the top 200? I find that hard to believe of a properly set up G+L page.

Also, I set this up by just adding it on Google Places. I had to mail verify and it took forever. Is there a more preferred method for better results?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Joshua,
Photos can take a long time to show up. That's an ongoing issue. Your ranking concerns are another matter. A month may simply reflect the time it takes for your listing to fully get into the system, but there are negative issues that can cause ranking issues as well. Can you share the URL of the Place Page here so that forum members can diagnose whether you've got an actual problem going on, or are simply going to have to wait longer to see your work go into effect? Also, please share what other types of citation building you have done, how well optimized the website is, how competitive the vertical is, etc. The more detail you provide, the better answer you will receive here.

Hi Josh,

Miriam is right. Images are currently delayed 4 - 6 weeks before they show.

But also new listings on average take 6 - 8 weeks AFTER PIN, before they will rank AT ALL on keyword searches. In the meantime they'll only come up for direct name/city or phone searches in maps. That's just how long it takes to work into the local database with the current back end data cycle.

But as Miriam said there could be other issues so if you want to post a link we can double check for you.

Thanks Linda.

This must be the issue. Pretty nuts for it to take that long to break into the cycle. Oh well, guess I'll just wait it out.

Hint: Not totally reliable but usually is.

When you see the "similar places" section show up on the bottom of the G+ L page is usually about when it starts ranking. So to me it's a little sign that the listing has worked into the local DB.

So, I'm still having an issue.

Now, one of my G+L pages I had to set up about a month ago broke into the rankings today. However, the G+L I started this thread about was set up a month before the new, ranking G+L page and is still not ranking. What's going on here?

So, I'm still having an issue.

Now, one of my G+L pages I had to set up about a month ago broke into the rankings today. However, the G+L I started this thread about was set up a month before the new, ranking G+L page and is still not ranking. What's going on here?
When you say its not ranking you mean it not showing up on the first set of listings when you do the searches you think people will do? Also, it is tough to know what the issue is without a URL. I suspect it is a combo of the address not matching up with the map data and the nature of business itself. Make sure your street name and state are spelled out in full and there is a companion Address POI for the business's address in MapMaker assuming its not a SAB. Also, if the website is overoptimized and you're going heavy on the Local SEO that could be hurting it. Or you could have duplicates, or the competition is just that much better...

I'm guessing you are at about two months now since you sent your PIN in so you could still be working through the system. It is slow. But agreed there could also be a problem. That is what makes this so fun...or is it frustrating.

I agree with Andrew it could be a problem with address in the map data or as others have said some other Local SEO inconsistency or problem. The URL of the Google + Local page may help some of the forum guru's gain some insight.

I wish you good luck as I said it is a frustrating game.

Thanks Andrew and Freddie,

Yes Joshua, should not take this long and there are SO many things that could be at play it's impossible to guess without doing a deep dive.

I suspect it is a combo of the address not matching up with the map data and the nature of business itself. Make sure your street name and state are spelled out in full and there is a companion Address POI for the business's address in MapMaker assuming its not a SAB. Also, if the website is overoptimized and you're going heavy on the Local SEO that could be hurting it. Or you could have duplicates, or the competition is just that much better...

Could be any of the things Andrew mentioned or penalty or something else.

If you care to share the link + primary KW - I'll move this down to the help forum and we can investigate, instead of guessing.

When you say its not ranking you mean it not showing up on the first set of listings when you do the searches you think people will do? Also, it is tough to know what the issue is without a URL. I suspect it is a combo of the address not matching up with the map data and the nature of business itself. Make sure your street name and state are spelled out in full and there is a companion Address POI for the business's address in MapMaker assuming its not a SAB. Also, if the website is overoptimized and you're going heavy on the Local SEO that could be hurting it. Or you could have duplicates, or the competition is just that much better...

I mean that out of the 20+ pages for our keyword in our city, we're not there. I went to the very end of the listings.

There is nothing for the business in MapMaker but there is in Google Maps. Is that the issue?

---------- Post Merged at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:36 PM ----------

Thanks Andrew and Freddie,

Yes Joshua, should not take this long and there are SO many things that could be at play it's impossible to guess without doing a deep dive.

If you care to share the link + primary KW - I'll move this down to the help forum and we can investigate, instead of guessing.

Thanks Linda but unfortunately we hold strict privacy with all of our contractual clients.

I do appreciate the offer though :)

Andrew,

The business shows up in Google Maps and Google+ Local just fine. However, when I check Mapmaker, there is no mention of the business at all. I claimed this business through the postcard method in the Google Places dashboard. For contrast, I used MapMaker to create the other listing I mentioned and that listing is now ranking and shows up in Google MapMaker, Google Maps, and Google+ Local (I will never use Google Places to create a listing again).

What do you think is the issue? Should I create a POI in MapMaker for the business?

Oh, btw, the troubled listing pushed our pictures through today. So weird...

Andrew,

The business shows up in Google Maps and Google+ Local just fine. However, when I check Mapmaker, there is no mention of the business at all. I claimed this business through the postcard method in the Google Places dashboard. For contrast, I used MapMaker to create the other listing I mentioned and that listing is now ranking and shows up in Google MapMaker, Google Maps, and Google+ Local (I will never use Google Places to create a listing again).

What do you think is the issue? Should I create a POI in MapMaker for the business?

Oh, btw, the troubled listing pushed our pictures through today. So weird...
No idea what the issue is, maybe a syncing issue. I wouldn't create a GMM feature where there's already a G+L feature as that would create a duplicate. I'd use the Troubleshooter and see what happens.

I've got a feeling I'm going to get the same old "Our ranking algorithm is automated and thus we have no control over how listings appear now or in the future" response. I'll try it though.

So, I just decided to call, thinking it might be a verification issue. Turns out the account looks fine (the rep didn't seem overly knowledgeable) so now, I really have no clue what to do. We're closing in on three months of not ranking at all in Places.

I would HIGHLY recommend you not set up your account through the old Google Places dashboard as I think that might be the issue. I got caught in the transition and added a business through the old interface as we are a service area business and didn't want to sign up for the new Google Places dashboard because I was following the advice of Jade and Google, to just sit tight and wait. Now, that's caused me a great deal of problems.

So, any further advice?

Hi Joshua,

Responding to your email request for me to help you in this thread.

Thanks Linda but unfortunately we hold strict privacy with all of our contractual clients.

Josh as I said I can't help you any more without a link.

I've wasted 20 posts at times trying to help people blind and just playing guessing games. Then they finally post the link and I'm like "OK here's the problem, it's totally obvious". If I had seen the listing in those cases I could have nailed it down the 1st post, but instead wasted days guessing.

Without seeing the listing and sometimes screenshot and getting full history, it's totally just shooting in the dark, which wastes everyone's time and does not get you the help you are seeking.

The business shows up in Google Maps and Google+ Local just fine. However, when I check Mapmaker, there is no mention of the business at all. I claimed this business through the postcard method in the Google Places dashboard. For contrast, I used MapMaker to create the other listing I mentioned and that listing is now ranking and shows up in Google MapMaker, Google Maps, and Google+ Local (I will never use Google Places to create a listing again)

Google is removing service area businesses from Map Maker so that's likely why. Do not create new listings there, especially if SABs.

I would HIGHLY recommend you not set up your account through the old Google Places dashboard as I think that might be the issue. I got caught in the transition and added a business through the old interface as we are a service area business and didn't want to sign up for the new Google Places dashboard because I was following the advice of Jade and Google, to just sit tight and wait. Now, that's caused me a great deal of problems.

I'm afraid that's bad advice and incorrect assumption. The Places dashboard is still the best place to create new listings for now. Something got messed up on this one. I can't guess any more what might have happened.

Sorry Josh, but due to being spread thin trying to help so many people, I can only spend so much of my volunteer time on any one help request. Please see this post.

Google is removing service area businesses from Map Maker so that's likely why. Do not create new listings there, especially if SABs.

That is not why it's not showing up in MapMaker. The other SAB I listed is still there.

I'm afraid that's bad advice and incorrect assumption. The Places dashboard is still the best place to create new listings for now. Something got messed up on this one. I can't guess any more what might have happened.

I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree with you. The Places dashboard is the reason this listing didn't make it into the Google+ Local rankings. I believe because I hid my address (like I was supposed to as a SAB) when creating my listing, that has been the reason for not showing up at all. On the other hand, I put the other SAB I mentioned in through MapMaker and everything worked just fine and we've been ranking there.

As I said, I believe hiding the address initially was the problem. Maybe if you don't hide it initially and only after you verify, you will be good using the Google Places dashboard. However, I have had success with MapMaker and won't take the chance of Google Places messing up any listings from here on out.

I've seen other issues like this in the Google product forum so it seems to be an ongoing problem. I've done a couple of things to remedy the situation and we'll see if they work.

Andrew, do you have any comments on using MapMaker to add a POI for local businesses initially? Also, maybe a comment on what Linda said about MM removing SAB's?

Hi Joshua,

Andrew, do you have any comments on using MapMaker to add a POI for local businesses initially? Also, maybe a comment on what Linda said about MM removing SAB's?

Curious to hear what Andrew has to say on the subject too. Hopefully he'll be by soon and see his name mentioned.

Here are a couple others that mention Google starting to remove SABs from MM.

Mike briefly mentions it here: http://blumenthals.com/blog/2013/03...business-with-address-hidden-showing-address/ "Apparently this bug is part of a change of process at Google… where they will be hiding addresses where they think appropriate and apparently not even showing the listing in MM."

And a discussion by pros at the MM forum alludes to it in part: "There has been speculation that Places (aka Google+Local) is attempting to segregate SABs from MM, so mappers will no longer be able to edit or review SABs in MM. There have been sporadic reports on the Google Places for Business forum as well as the GMM forum of Google Listing Editors denying good edits in MM and Maps report a problem (aka Community Edits), that SABs are now displaying their address even if they've checked the box in the Dashboard (presumably due to a bug in Local), and that some SABs no longer have a corresponding POI in MM."

I just wanted to post an update.

I'm still not able to rank the roofing company. I thought that maybe the database didn't pick up on my address (since I signed it up with a hidden address immediately) so I dropped that hidden address yesterday on our Google Places dashboard (old dashboard) and then entered in that address on our G+B (Google+ Business Page, not to be confused with Google+ Local Page). Today, the search for our roofing company comes up in Maps and MM at our location. Whereas before, we were showing up in Maps but with our address hidden and not showing up in MM at all. So, the Google Places dashboard is pretty quick about updating that. However, I'm still not ranking.

I'm going to give it a few weeks first and see what happens. The data pipeline might just be really slow as usual.

Also, I had thought about it and there is another business at this same address (they operate out of their home). I wonder if Google sees the exact same address and won't let two businesses with the same address rank? It doesn't help that their names are also very similar. However, they do have different phone numbers.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom