katandmouse

Reaction score
A design-build landscaper approached me to help with his SEO and PPC. His is a new business, so when I looked through his site and saw the dozens of absolutely top class, very large project, I guessed that those couldn't possibly be his project photos. So I did a reverse image search in Google, and sure enough, they are stock photos. To my shock many, many more landscaper are using them as well. I was then curious if he was posting project photos in Facebook. There were a couple but I saw stock photos there as well with his watermark! They were getting thumbs-ups and comments like "Nice work!"

I know this is an SEO forum, so why am I posting this here? I don't know that Google has thought of this, but if a local business was posting lots of photos that are not local, could they be dinged for that? My guess is no because not all photos are geotagged. But Google can tell they are stock photos, and as such, they are the opposite of trust factors. Google would be smart to add photo detection into their ranking algorithm.

On another note, I can see how this can hurt his business. From the projects I know are his, in no way do they compare to the stock photos. His customers may be expecting more than he can deliver as a result and might be disappointed. That could lead to bad reviews and any SEO efforts might fail.

Apparently, he's honest if someone asks. He told me last week that someone asked if he did the driveway in one of his pictures. He told him no and the person asked how he could trust him to do the job.

I'm curious how you look upon this practice of using stock photos and what recommendations would you give a new business owner who doesn't have photos their own? My feeling is he's wrong trying to compete with the very large design-build firms and their $100K+ landscape projects. He should work his way up. Thoughts?

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
In general, I think stock photos are a bad idea for both Google and the consumer. What you describe seems to be taking it to the next level where you're actually deceiving your customers with the stock photos that you choose to use. In a case like that I would flag the photos to Google so they can review them.

katandmouse

Reaction score
In general, I think stock photos are a bad idea for both Google and the consumer. What you describe seems to be taking it to the next level where you're actually deceiving your customers with the stock photos that you choose to use. In a case like that I would flag the photos to Google so they can review them.
You're talking about in GMB, right?

Eoghan_MFeed

Reaction score
+1 photo contest. Go get those relevant, authentic photos. They don't need to be touched up. Listing views are looking for an accurate representation of what to expect, not a sales pitch like on a website.

Stock photos are only good if it's a choice between that and no photos at all.

The business making it seem like the pictures are their work is misleading though and once someone posts a review saying their photos are FAKE, they'll get a serious knock in trust from anyone considering them and using their google listing in the research.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Using the phone number of the previous local business Citations 5
S Free tool for local businesses - update data on Google, Facebook, Yelp, etc. - would you use it? Local SEO Tools & Software 7
R Free Webinar: How to Use LinkedIn to Generate Leads for Your Local Business Events 0
rosie.brightlocal Google Reviews Study: How are local businesses using Google Reviews? Local Reviews 1
Garrett Sussman 3 Creative Ways to Use Community Events to Get Reviews For Your Local Business Local Reviews 2
Linda Buquet Dear Google, Stop Using Business Name as a Local Ranking Factor- Darren Shaw Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Linda Buquet 25 Customer Review Nuggets You Can Use to Build your Local Business - Rozek Local Reviews 2
V toll free 800 number used at all locations of local business? Local Search 1
bluehabit Google+ Local Business: Using an Apartment? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Chris McCreery Business owner used for G+ profile when creating new Local page? Help & Support for Google Local 19
buzzrank Home inspector business category not available in Canada, but local competitors have NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
Stef Kiley Temp closed business ranking higher in local pack Help & Support for Google Local 2
F Turkish post: Google My Business local seo Recycle Bin 0
F Google My Business local seo Google Local 101 3
JoyHawkins Are Local Services Ads Stealing Clicks from Google My Business? A Case Study of 110 Listings Paid Search and Local Service Ads 0
Professor M Google Maps and Google My Business Big Changes - Google Maps Local News Feed Google My Business & Google Maps 26
Y Whenever I publish update for my local business, my local rankings drop for 3-4 days Local Search 1
jpayne7 Google Favoring Rich Snippets for Job Postings over Local Business Listings? Google Local 101 4
Brian Barwig How to Win at Local Search with Service Area Businesses Service Area Businesses 3
Charles Jenkins SCHEMA For local business with address hidden? Local Search 1
N Local services Ad Approach for Businesses with Multiple locations on one GMB Account Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
NickB-Tampa URL is updated in Google My Business but doesn't show up correctly in maps or on Bright Local Local Search 2
R Two Local Businesses Share One Address Local Search 3
P 2 Businesses, Same Address, 1 local, 1 SAB Google Duplicates & Merges 5
Zhanna A business completely disappeared from Google Local Finder Google My Business & Google Maps 3
C Website URLs for Multiple locations in Google My Business & Local Citations Google My Business & Google Maps 2
IanJohnson Multi-Location Businesses not showing Local results in SERPs Google My Business & Google Maps 1
G Most searched local businesses Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Paul Stevens Businesses from 120 miles away showing up three-pack for searches that name local town Local Search 20
TammyT Does city in business name increase local pack visibility Local Search 7
djbaxter Which service-area business types perform best in local search? Service Area Businesses 0
champiso Popups in the mobile to put a review to the exit of a local business Google My Business & Google Maps 2
ashley.smith Does Google My Business prioritize reviews from Local Guides over other users? Local Reviews 7
Paul Kargo Local Business for two Different Languages - How to Optimize? Recycle Bin 5
vivekrpatel Local Business for two Different Languages - How to Optimize? Local Content 7
L Local Business contact info? Local SEO Tools & Software 3
J 2 Locations | Site Structure | Local Business Google Local 101 12
nathangdavidson What's the best way to advise Google when there's a bogus business listing returned in a Local Pack? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Phil Rozek "More about [business]" dropdown in local knowledge panel: new? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Beris Local Business Schema - Multiple Locations Local Search 6
R Free Webinar: Organic Facebook Marketing Tips for Local Businesses Events 0
H A hypothetical: A famous local business gets it's very first website Ranking Puzzles 8
Grabgooglesgoogles Verified and optimised GMB listing doesn't show up on maps when viewing the street (unlike every other local business which does). Help & Support for Google Local 8
Gsmithmike Business with Different Branch Names in a city, How to proceed creating citations and doing Local SEO? Local Search 1
JoyHawkins Ask Joy Hawkins Anything About Google My Business - Local Marketing Institute Events 10
Dan Foland Google Officially Announces 'Local Service Businesses' Improvements Service Area Businesses 6
JoyHawkins October 3, 2018 - Google Medic Algo Update - How Did It Affect Local Businesses? Google Algorithm Discussions 4
H Local Business Knowledge graph Google My Business & Google Maps 8
B Single-City Multi-Location Business Local SEO Multi-Location Issues 4
B Single-City Multi-Location Business Local SEO Multi-Location Issues 4