eestrada234

Reaction score
I noticed this in some Google search results today. There is a video thumbnail, but it isn't a YouTube or video listing. If you click on it, it takes them to their website (which does have a video on the homepage). It also has the rich snippet ratings and Google Maps pin. Have you seen this before?

Screen Shot 2014-03-05 at 1.43.21 PM.png

Showed up in "Newport Beach Dentist" search results. It may be that they're just testing this on certain servers. Anybody else seeing this?

Screen Shot 2014-03-05 at 1.43.21 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Good catch Edgar. Thanks for sharing!

Off to check now!

eestrada234

Reaction score
Thanks Linda. It was an organic listing under a keyword search for "Newport Beach Dentist".

It wasn't in the local search pack.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
At 1st I figured video schema was causing the thumbnail in search.

Can any brilliant techies in the group figure it out.

(I'm up to my eyeballs in alligators over here!)

eestrada234

Reaction score
I did some brief digging and ran the website through the Google Structured Data tool and was only able to see that they had Publisher Markup.

shrink.jpg

shrink.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Thanks Linda. It was an organic listing under a keyword search for "Newport Beach Dentist".

It wasn't in the local search pack.

Ya is wasn't in the pack cuz there is no pack.
Only a one-box - the bane of my existence. :eek:

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
It's also just grayed out and dull like it's not supposed to be that way.

Maybe just a fluke with that player?

(Grins as she watches the stampede to find the player and start using it!) ;)

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
These one-boxes are ticking me off. So just need to say:

Spam pays off in Google Local and is rewarded instead of penalized.

There are a LOT of Dentists in Newport Beach.

Search for: Newport Beach Dentist

The page that locks the rest of Dentists out is spammy. City + KW - City - KW City URL structure.
mynewportbeachdental.com/newport-beach/dentist-newport-beach/]Newport Beach Dentist | Newport Dental Center | Dentist Newport Beach

Title tag spammy too with City & KW repeated 3 times: Newport Beach Dentist | Newport Dental Center | Dentist Newport Beach (home page title tag is same, which is not recommended)

Sorry to take this off topic with the one-box comments. I'll report this in the one-box thread.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Here is same gray vid for a different search term. The diff is this is pure organic SERP. https://www.google.com/search?q=Newport+Beach+sedation+Dentist&ie=UTF-8

So that's the type of organic result with video we are used to seeing. But to have a pinned local result is what's new. The fact that it's a one-box is interested and gives me some hints about how this new algo is blending. now that I see that organic result.

FYI something in this post, I think that big screenshot broke this page and my sideabar got pushed down below. Will try to fix if/when I get a chance. Hmmm reduced the image size and that didn't fix it. My tech is on sick leave and I have no more time to try to figure it out.

Former Member

Reaction score
It seems like the gray video image is simply because that is the chosen thumbnail.jpg for the video object schema.

Not to take off topic but interested if anyone else can weigh in.. I'm in the process of trying to explore video

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Oops sorry, forgot to post here. We were discussing elsewhere and decided that gray image was the thumbnail so that's not an issue.

If I remember right we also determined there was no video schema.

eestrada234

Reaction score
Just following up to see if anyone was able to figure out what was making that video thumbnail rich snippet appear?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L Google Local Duplicates: The Different Types & How to Deal with Them Google Duplicates & Merges 0
Linda Buquet Google Local Duplicates: The Different Types & How to Deal with Them Google Duplicates & Merges 0
Travis Van Slooten Can This Type of Business Merge Their Google+ Biz Page with G+ Local Page? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet Confused re the Different Types of Google+ Local Pages? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
djbaxter Fake Product Review Sites: New Type of Spam Exploit in Google Spam on Google 0
Cordell Crowley Getting two side-by-side businesses of the same type to show up on Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 4
G How do clients search for services (what do they usually type in google to find you) Consultant's Corner 1
Linda Buquet Google Will Soon Show Type of Business (Category) Right in Map View Google My Business & Google Maps 1
J You Are Not An Eligible Business Type For Google Maps Service Area Businesses 4
Jo Shaer You Are Not An Eligible Business Type For Google Maps Service Area Businesses 4
M Where does this type of SPAM come from? Spam on Google 7
hajnasiewicz What is this type of knowledge panel called Local Search 5
sixthcitysarah New GMB post type - COVID-19 Support? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
M COVID-19 GMB Post Type Local Search 4
B Grid-type tools for service-area biz with hidden address? Local SEO Tools & Software 4
djbaxter Which service-area business types perform best in local search? Service Area Businesses 0
djbaxter What Type of Content Is Most Effective for Attracting Website Traffic? Organic SEO 0
Suleyman Okan A new type of search spam Local Search 2
Nikos Appointment URLs in more business types Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Garrett Sussman 5 Types of Online Reviewers and What They Care About Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman 5 Types of Phrases in Online Reviews that Create Customer Distrust Local Reviews 0
Garrett Sussman 13 Types of Content to Include On Your Online Review Management and Marketing Service Local Reviews 7
Priya Chandra Are there more than 3 types of local SEO services? Local Search 2
JoyHawkins DRAFT - 2 Types of 3-Packs Weight Ranking Factors Differently Post Drafts (Private) 1
Linda Buquet Tried this for Local Links and Citations? Brilliant for the Right Type of Client Local Search 4
R Wrong type of local page?? Can't leave reviews Google My Business & Google Maps 2
shondarogers What type of page should i create for HOA/Neighborhood Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Margaret Ornsby Unsupported Page Type? Locked Out of Listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
KungFuBacklinks Old G+ Business Page (Local Type) and Proper Verified G+ Local Listing Help & Support for Google Local 3
Linda Buquet No Verifcation Check Mark? New Type of Page OR??? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
M Interesting...Typing In Dentist + City in Local Google My Business & Google Maps 5
sergiuliano TOP Citation Source Website Types Citations 2
Jamie Steigerwald Schema.org LocalBusiness vs specific type Local Search 0
Jac Google My business Photos - Uploaded but not reflecting on contribution page Google My Business & Google Maps 1
AndySimpson Google My Business Opening Date - What Date Should You Use? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Lanerizz Google Analytics 4 Organic SEO 1
M Google Local Services Ads - Lack of Leads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 14
rustybrick Google Local ranking update? Google Algorithm Discussions 11
harmony How Does Google Choose Service Options in a Review? Local Reviews 6
abbiebeltran Google Reviews Now Have 'Service-Testimonial-Tags' at the Top Local Reviews 1
Tim Colling I'm getting calls from "Google Maps" at 650-206-5555, asking about clients' hours - are they legit? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
JoshuaMackens Google Posts & Ranking Local Search 10
A Listing suspended due to account manager spamming? Google advise to create new GMB Local Search 13
djbaxter Webinar Get together with Google Search at Search Central Live - February 23, 2021 Events 0
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 2
Professor M Google slapped in France over misleading hotel star ratings Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
D Google Spam Fighting Question Google My Business & Google Maps 6
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
U Google showing location of Service Area Business Service Area Businesses 2
Lluc Google launches Years in Business in Search Google My Business & Google Maps 3